Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

(Lehigh County)

Question MC open carrying around Lehigh Valley. Now other parts of PA ?

First; sorry for the long winded post.

I've been "open carrying" on motorcycle since Sept of 2013 when I saw another PAFOA member doing the same on rt222 near Dorney Park.
    (Yes; I know you need a LTCF to carry on a motorcycle, yes I do have LTCF, and yes I know that open carrying on a motorcycle is not technically open carrying because you're in or on a mode of transportation.)
    If I'm not crossing the Delaware; then I'm carrying openly.
    Unless it's cold, I'm on foot, and my jacket happens to cover it.

I've mostly been riding in the Lehigh Valley area and surrounding rural areas.
    Such as Carbon, Monroe, Northhampton, northern Berks, northern Bucks, and eastern Schuylkill counties.
    With a few rides closer to Philly; such as the Horsham area.

Although I may get a few looks from out-of-staters (mostly NJ) while open carrying while riding.
    And some people tend to tailgate me much less.
    Most people's reactions are to ignore me or laugh at me.
    I suppose I look very comical to people on my Guzzi, in my high viz helmet, wearing a high viz Aerostich Roadcrafter riding suit, class II safety vest, with Taurus Judge revolver on my hip.

Well this past Monday I desperately need a new hard drive.
    (Murphy's timing sucks. )
    So I rode down to the Microcenter in St. Davids near Philly.
    I took I-476 the whole way there and back.

With all the stories I've read about how anti open carry the police are in Philly and surrounding areas.
    I was prepared for being stopped at any point there and back.
    But absolutely nothing happened.

I didn't do much racing last year. So I now have vacation days I have to use. A little more than 1 week.
    I don't have the time or money to take a vacation like I use to before owning a house and carrying.
    Which was to strap camping gear to my motorcycle and riding anywhere in North America for three weeks.

But I am considering riding around around PA.
    With very slight possibility of excursions into West Virginia and Ohio.
    I have also AZ and UT permits.

What are everyone else experiences openly carrying on a motorcycle in other parts of PA ? Ohio ? West Virginia ?

Thanks;
    --ET

(Northampton County)

Default Re: MC open carrying around Lehigh Valley. Now other parts of PA ?

You must have unlimited access to vagina.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    First; sorry for the long winded post.

I've been "open carrying" on motorcycle since Sept of 2013 when I saw another PAFOA member doing the same on rt222 near Dorney Park.
    (Yes; I know you need a LTCF to carry on a motorcycle, yes I do have LTCF, and yes I know that open carrying on a motorcycle is not technically open carrying because you're in or on a mode of transportation.)
    If I'm not crossing the Delaware; then I'm carrying openly.
    Unless it's cold, I'm on foot, and my jacket happens to cover it.

I've mostly been riding in the Lehigh Valley area and surrounding rural areas.
    Such as Carbon, Monroe, Northhampton, northern Berks, northern Bucks, and eastern Schuylkill counties.
    With a few rides closer to Philly; such as the Horsham area.

Although I may get a few looks from out-of-staters (mostly NJ) while open carrying while riding.
    And some people tend to tailgate me much less.
    Most people's reactions are to ignore me or laugh at me.
    I suppose I look very comical to people on my Guzzi, in my high viz helmet, wearing a high viz Aerostich Roadcrafter riding suit, class II safety vest, with Taurus Judge revolver on my hip.

Well this past Monday I desperately need a new hard drive.
    (Murphy's timing sucks. )
    So I rode down to the Microcenter in St. Davids near Philly.
    I took I-476 the whole way there and back.

With all the stories I've read about how anti open carry the police are in Philly and surrounding areas.
    I was prepared for being stopped at any point there and back.
    But absolutely nothing happened.

I didn't do much racing last year. So I now have vacation days I have to use. A little more than 1 week.
    I don't have the time or money to take a vacation like I use to before owning a house and carrying.
    Which was to strap camping gear to my motorcycle and riding anywhere in North America for three weeks.

But I am considering riding around around PA.
    With very slight possibility of excursions into West Virginia and Ohio.
    I have also AZ and UT permits.

What are everyone else experiences openly carrying on a motorcycle in other parts of PA ? Ohio ? West Virginia ?

Thanks;
    I'm right on the lycoming/Clinton county line. I would doubt you would have any trouble around this area. No one ever seems to notice when I oc, although I don't ride. Lots of places to camp, fish, hike. Lots of nice roads to ride on as well.

(Bucks County)

476 down the Blue Route to St. David's and back did not put you into the Philly cops territory. Close, but no cigar! Rep sent for doing it anyway.

I'm not going to preach to you, but will ask, you and everyone else here that rides, consider wearing a helmet. I never did, well RARELY did, so I'm not one to talk, but, a good friend sure could have used one last week. In Warminster, on Street Road, some jackass cut a left turn in front of him and missed him, but he laid it down. Bounced his head a couple times. SEVERE head injuries, in a medically-induced coma. The future looks very bleak for him and his family. He's self-employed so they will probably lose the house. A helmet would have, ok, MIGHT have prevented it. Something to think about.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    476 down the Blue Route to St. David's and back did not put you into the Philly cops territory. Close, but no cigar! Rep sent for doing it anyway.

I'm not going to preach to you, but will ask, you and everyone else here that rides, consider wearing a helmet. I never did, well RARELY did, so I'm not one to talk, but, a good friend sure could have used one last week. In Warminster, on Street Road, some jackass cut a left turn in front of him and missed him, but he laid it down. Bounced his head a couple times. SEVERE head injuries, in a medically-induced coma. The future looks very bleak for him and his family. He's self-employed so they will probably lose the house. A helmet would have, ok, MIGHT have prevented it. Something to think about.
    Sorry to hear about your friend. I hate driving Street Road from Bensalem home to Chalfont with all the morons out there. The OP does wear a helmet.

I OC on my Harley and never had any problems. I have been to Filthy OC (on foot) and was not stopped either. While not 100% sure I think the Filthy P.D. are starting to get it! Viper may have had something to do with that.........
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Bucks County)

I cc and cc on the bike too. I've never been able to determine in my mind which control I want to sacrifice...clutch or throttle/brake. I've kind of arrived at stop and get off first if at all possible. 2nd choice....set throttle "cruise lock", use rear brake, keep clutch hand workable.

(Juniata County)

Nice to know someone from my wife's way is OCing. Ie jersey shore.
    Last edited by PAMedic=F|A=; June 26th, 2015 at 07:50 PM.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Northampton County)

I oc around the lv on my harley and have had no problems yet.

(Delaware County)

you were down in my neck of the woods. i ride a harley and none of that high vis helmet and jumpsuit stuff, but i OC an XDM or standard 45 on the bike with no issues. 476, 76, 276 or any of the smaller roads. never been pulled over with it. or without it for that matter. i keep hearing horror stories about the suburbs but i have had neutral or positive encounters only with cops out this way so far. and like it was mentioned... you werent in philly. i just have no reason to go to philly with the bike so i dont think i will be finding out anytime soon either.

and for anyone who wonders why OC on a bike instead of CC, i will give my reason. i feel more secure in my OC rig with the ALS lock. i tried CC and all i did was keep checking to make sure it was still there. with the ALS it is less likely to 'fall' out... which is probably not going to happen anyway, but i was too paranoid about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    I blame New Jersey for putting itself above the Constitution

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast