Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default WV and VA carry with PA concealed carry reciprocity

Will be going to Williamsburg, Virginia at some point. Have been researching carry laws in WV and VA but I am still unclear about some of the laws. Can anyone clarify what the facts are concerning the carry laws in WV and VA? Can I conceal carry in both states in vehicle and on foot at all times? I read somewhere that while in vehicle the weapon must be visible, is this the case? What about places that serve alcohol, do I have to open carry or has the law changed that I can conceal carry? Do I need to inform police if I am pulled over that I am carrying?
    Last edited by RUDY850; June 26th, 2015 at 01:04 AM.

Default Re: WV and VA carry with PA concealed carry reciprocity

The family and I are going to Virginia (and Williamsburg) this summer. From what I can tell, VA laws are almost as good as PA laws. Take a look here: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/virginia.pdf

Also, I've read through the grapevine that Colonial Williamsburg is carry friendly. I cannot personally coroborate that, maybe others on here can post their personal experiences there.

If you have a IPhone or Android get this APP.

ccw – concealed carry 50 state guide

(Jefferson County)

If you have a PA LTCF you can carry as you please. When in a vehicle you do not have to carry openly. ...that is for folks who aren't licensed when in those states. But since PA and both, VA and WV, have reciprocity - you carry as their laws allow.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Westmoreland County)

Thanks for the information

It used to be the law in VA that open carry was allowed in establishments where alcohol is served, but concealed carry was not allowed. Does anyone know if that has changed?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    It used to be the law in VA that open carry was allowed in establishments where alcohol is served, but concealed carry was not allowed. Does anyone know if that has changed?
    CC is allowed PROVIDED you are not drinking.

VA Statutes § 18.2-308.012. Prohibited conduct.

B. No person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 may consume an alcoholic beverage while on the premises. A person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of such a restaurant or club and consumes alcoholic beverages is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor. However, nothing in this subsection shall apply to a federal, state, or local law-enforcement officer
    IANAL

Quote Originally Posted by RUDY850 View Post
    Will be going to Williamsburg, Virginia at some point. Have been researching carry laws in WV and VA but I am still unclear about some of the laws. Can anyone clarify what the facts are concerning the carry laws in WV and VA? Can I conceal carry in both states in vehicle and on foot at all times? I read somewhere that while in vehicle the weapon must be visible, is this the case? What about places that serve alcohol, do I have to open carry or has the law changed that I can conceal carry? Do I need to inform police if I am pulled over that I am carrying?
    You are good in WV. You may conceal with an LTCF or open carry on foot or in a vehicle without an LTCF. The italicized change took effect June 7th, so it may not have been disseminated all the way to the rank and file. There is no duty to inform. You may consume alcohol if you wish.

I've heard stories about Colonial Williamsburg being VERY carry friendly. To the point of the re-enactors engaging the OC'er in period discussion. I may have even read that here.

Either way, be safe and enjoy your trip!
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    CC is allowed PROVIDED you are not drinking.
    Ironic thing is it's ONLY when CC, you can drink OC.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff