Hello,

I started my application for LTCF the other day. I filled out my forms and went to the sheriffs office to drop them off. The Local Police Check form was not completed, but I didnt see that as a problem, because it says on their website that that was ok, the sheriff would send the form off and everything would be fine (they would have 45 days to get it all in order). But, I was told by one of the sheriff personnel, "Buddy, you need to get this form filled out with your local police before coming here."

I said "On the website it says you can handle all of this, I'm fine with it taking 45 days." I was told that this would be ok, but that it would be faster if I did it myself. So I said "Ok" and went to Lansdale PD to get the form signed off. Everyone in line at the Permit Office was walking in, handing in forms, and walking out with ID's very quickly, so I figured the process would be the same at my local police department.

It was my understanding that LPD would handle this the same day and that if I waited a little while, I could get the form back and then head back to Norristown. So I went into the Lansdale PD to get the Local Police Check form filled out. The officer that took the form required that I hand over not only the Local Police Check form, but also the Application for a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms (the one with all of the information and references). This didnt seem right to me, but "Ok". The officer then said, "Ok, we'll get this back to you soon."

To this, I said, "How long will that be? 15 minutes? 15 days?..." and his response was "a couple of days".

It has been a few days and I have not heard back from them.

I am all about standing up for my constitutional rights, so am wondering what kind of time frame I should expect, or accept from them. If Lansdale PD is authorized to take their time with the local check, so be it, but if this process is required to be completed promptly, then what?

There is a lot of talk about the Local Police Check in itself being illegal, and that the sheriff is supposed to conduct this investigation on his own, that it is not the citizens job to be driving all over town collecting forms to help his investigation. I dont know exactly what the legality of everything is....

So what does everyone say about this?