Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Montgomery County LTCF Application

Hello,

I started my application for LTCF the other day. I filled out my forms and went to the sheriffs office to drop them off. The Local Police Check form was not completed, but I didnt see that as a problem, because it says on their website that that was ok, the sheriff would send the form off and everything would be fine (they would have 45 days to get it all in order). But, I was told by one of the sheriff personnel, "Buddy, you need to get this form filled out with your local police before coming here."

I said "On the website it says you can handle all of this, I'm fine with it taking 45 days." I was told that this would be ok, but that it would be faster if I did it myself. So I said "Ok" and went to Lansdale PD to get the form signed off. Everyone in line at the Permit Office was walking in, handing in forms, and walking out with ID's very quickly, so I figured the process would be the same at my local police department.

It was my understanding that LPD would handle this the same day and that if I waited a little while, I could get the form back and then head back to Norristown. So I went into the Lansdale PD to get the Local Police Check form filled out. The officer that took the form required that I hand over not only the Local Police Check form, but also the Application for a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms (the one with all of the information and references). This didnt seem right to me, but "Ok". The officer then said, "Ok, we'll get this back to you soon."

To this, I said, "How long will that be? 15 minutes? 15 days?..." and his response was "a couple of days".

It has been a few days and I have not heard back from them.

I am all about standing up for my constitutional rights, so am wondering what kind of time frame I should expect, or accept from them. If Lansdale PD is authorized to take their time with the local check, so be it, but if this process is required to be completed promptly, then what?

There is a lot of talk about the Local Police Check in itself being illegal, and that the sheriff is supposed to conduct this investigation on his own, that it is not the citizens job to be driving all over town collecting forms to help his investigation. I dont know exactly what the legality of everything is....

So what does everyone say about this?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Montgomery County LTCF Application

The only statutory duty is on the sheriff to process the application within 45 calendar days after receipt (18 Pa CS 6109(g)). The local check may be part of his investigatory process but securing the competed form is not your responsibility. I'm not aware of any statutorily imposed timeframe for processing the form by the local PD when submitted by you.
    IANAL

Take your business elsewhere.

Oh, wait. You can't use that line with them.

(Montgomery County)

My wife and I both refused to do the local check, and we both got our licenses around 40 days after application.

Don't play their game, demand they do their job and investigate you, not you investigate yourself. The check is not part of state law. It's illegal.

(Montgomery County)

I live in Lower Merion Twp. The LMT PD completed my check in 5 days and emailed the the results to the Montco Sheriff, who in turn issued my LCTF in 20 minutes.

(Montgomery County)

I live in lower Frederick, and my chief did the check in one day, no fees. Thumbs up for my local pd. Thumbs down for the heavy handed "suggestion" of the sherrifs office employees to get us to do it ourselves.

"Demand they do their job..."

While doing so be sure and be really loud and jump up and down flailing your arms alot. They like that.

(Montgomery County)

Well, don't be an ass about it, but I held firm and they accepted my app and I got the license without having to beg local PD (which often is an additional cost, this is why they do it).

When I lived in Berks, it was 15 minutes and no bullshit. It should be the same everywhere.

And since no one else said it, did you ask if they ever heard of the Constitution, motherfucker!?

(Montgomery County)

Motherfucker me? I havent really read any other discussions on this website. I dont know what the general feeling of the users on this website towards PD/Sheriffs/Gun Laws/etc are. I have respect for all of these, but do feel they need to be held accountable to the law when it is necessary. I just got off the phone with someone from the department and she said it generally takes a week for the local police check.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast