Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default F.I.R.E. Institute Course Prices Dropped in 2015 - $250 for 3-day courses.

The F.I.R.E. Institute is a not-for-profit, tax exempt educational organization that has been devoted to firearms education and training for 15 years. We have offered courses in fundamental shooting and gun-handling, as well as basic tactics for individuals and couples. We have also trained new instructors, improved ranges, and spun off courses in legal topics affecting those who possess firearms for self-defense.

The F.I.R.E. Institute courses have always been priced "at cost." We charged what we thought we had to in order to cover our operations, including equipment, equipment storage and the aforementioned range improvements.

This summer we have the opportunity to greatly reduce what we charge for our primary courses, which are "Basic Tactical Carbine" and "Basic Tactical Pistol." These are three-day courses designed to give the average shooter the fundamental skills and concepts to allow them to competently fight with a firearm (including very basic legal instruction and a healthy dose of decision-making). Each of these two courses will be $250 per person in 2015. (We have to see whether this can carry over to 2016.)

These courses do require many people to take a day off work (either a Friday or a Monday). Sorry about that, but it takes that much time. The curriculum was devised with the active participation of very competent, full-time, professional instructors with 30 and 40 years of experience, and it is the minimum amount of time required to actually teach the material (as opposed to showing it to people and moving on). Chopping off a day and calling it the same course doesn't make it the same course, and I have seen the results in the performance of those who have been sold that bill of goods and told how good they are. There is no free lunch.

Once one has these solid fundamentals practiced and understood, one can choose to branch off to this "new" technique or that shooting style. But the fundamentals are indispensable. Our mission has always been to encourage people to get fundamental training, and so now the price is right.

We will be posting course dates and descriptions here as soon as we can figure out where and how! (The "training courses" section appears to have been eliminated, and replaced with a calendar I don't know how to use.) .
    Last edited by PeteG; June 23rd, 2015 at 10:45 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: F.I.R.E. Institute Course Prices Dropped in 2015 - $250 for 3-day courses.

PA is a big state, location(s)?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: F.I.R.E. Institute Course Prices Dropped in 2015 - $250 for 3-day courses.

PB&J

I'll jump in till Peter gets back to you.

Most of the FIRE classes are held at Pitcairin / Monroeville Sportsmans club. 505 Moss side Blvd. I think thats a Pitcairin Addy.

http://www.fireinstitute.org/ will give you some details

I've taken quite a few of their offerings a while back and enjoyed the people, the training and the price , which has just gotten better.

If I could get my daughter to commit, I'd pay for her class.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA_PB&J View Post
    PA is a big state, location(s)?
    As 24Hand said, we are in the Pittsburgh area. We post the course descriptions in the training course section, giving dates, times, locations and course information (or at least we did until the recent software upgrade made that nigh impossible). I thought people would look there for the information. We also post our courses at www.fireinstitute.org, which is much easier to read.

PeteG