Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Tonight on Dateline at 8 o'clock. Propaganda I'm sure

Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Tonight on Dateline at 8 o'clock. Propaganda I'm sure

I think it's a repeat.
    Stupid kids meme time!

Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Lackawanna County)

Why bother watching it? It's gonna be same old bullshit, putting guns in toyboxes and around a playground and shit.

(Bucks County)

Or the one where they are told to never touch, call an adult, and one boy picks it up and handles it instead.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

They trained young kids using NRA Eddie Eagle-type methods, and then tested them. The kids were sent into a room unsupervised to get snacks off a table. The gun was partially hidden on the table. Most of the kids picked it up and swept each other, often with their fingers on the trigger. You couldn't help but cringe, watching the way they handled it. One kid even tried to rack the slide and then pulled the trigger.

Then they trained some other kids using a different method. Instead of just talking about the safety rules (stop don't touch, leave the area, tell an adult), they ran the kids through multiple roll-playing exercises where they actually went through the motions. Those kids did much better in the test.

Yeah, I was expecting pure propaganda too, but this was interesting. I'm an NRA-certified Home Firearms Safety instructor, and if there's a better way to teach the Eddie Eagle rules, then we ought to know about it. I don't see anything wrong with that.

(Berks County)

See my dad had a version of Eddie eagle. Go in your parents' room and get beat. We never thought about going in there. Certainly would not touch his guns, oh he'll no! I guess that's not P.C. is it?

(Lycoming County)

I don't know what is taught now. I was taught from an early age that you treat every firearm like it is loaded and can hurt/kill someone. I was also taught how to clear a gun and make it safe from the time I was interested in them, maybe 7 or 8. The way my dad drilled that into me, even as a kid anytime I picked up any gun I opened the action and made it safe. That's the way I'm teaching my daughter. Kids will show a natural curiosity with firearms, or anything that is taboo to them in any way. I know at my house there isn't really any access to my guns, unless I'm there. I can't say that when she goes to any other kids house so I would rather her know how they work.

(Bucks County)

It's dateline on NBC, land of Brian Williams and fraud. I have no doubt that many kids were used and they cherry picked the ones to use in the report to support their intended conclusion. It's what Liberals and NBC do.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(York County)

I saw the segment when they ran it in the morning.

Keep in mind that kids this age should not ever be handling firearms without close adult supervision. Even kids with good training will often "forget" to follow the rules due to their age and immaturity. The comparison between how effective different gun safety training methods were was interesting to say the least.

To me this news info piece was actually fairly politics neutral. Those already afraid of guns in the house will simply say it proves you shouldn't have guns around at all, while those who do own will see it stressed that guns should never be left unsecured when young children are around.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    They trained young kids using NRA Eddie Eagle-type methods, and then tested them. The kids were sent into a room unsupervised to get snacks off a table. The gun was partially hidden on the table. Most of the kids picked it up and swept each other, often with their fingers on the trigger. You couldn't help but cringe, watching the way they handled it. One kid even tried to rack the slide and then pulled the trigger.

Then they trained some other kids using a different method. Instead of just talking about the safety rules (stop don't touch, leave the area, tell an adult), they ran the kids through multiple roll-playing exercises where they actually went through the motions. Those kids did much better in the test.

Yeah, I was expecting pure propaganda too, but this was interesting. I'm an NRA-certified Home Firearms Safety instructor, and if there's a better way to teach the Eddie Eagle rules, then we ought to know about it. I don't see anything wrong with that.
    I was taught the, "Dont touch the gun unless you ask permission first or I'll break your fucking hands" method. If I ever wanted to see or handle a gun, all I had to do is ask. Mom and dad NEVER hesitated to allow it, so at a point my curiosity went away.

I've done the same thing with my girl friend's kids of past and present. The current GF's kid wore out his curiosity with a month. ....and he LOVES guns. Only when I get a new one does he ask to see/handle it.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast