Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default I saw someone OC'ing today.... more discussions about 2A with people we meet in life

I was walking in a shopping center yesterday and I noticed an individual open carrying. First some context, I live in the suburbs right outside of Philly so seeing someone Open Carry is a rare occurrence at least where I live. I work there so I knew I would be around for sometime after and for whatever reason there is a pretty regular patrol of police in that particular shopping center so I figured a patrol showing up could be a possibility. There were many other people around and as the day went on, there were not calls to police, no patrols showed up, and I am half certain most people didn't even give a second thought to what they saw if they noticed it at all.

I found this to be incredibly timely considering just the night before I had been contemplating the need for discussions on gun ownership in our everyday lives and I don't mean just in the comfort of ones own home or local range with other like minded people. I am talking about bringing it up with people we interact with when we are not exactly sure how they may respond. My main reason for bringing this all up is I have decided to be more vocal on the subject, not hostile to those who disagree just more vocal because I'll admit I have probably not been as willing to engage individuals on the issue as I should be.

So after coming to this conclusion I put my money where my mouth was and decided to bring up the topic of open carry to a couple of co workers. What I had just noticed created an easy segway and their responses surprised me. One person was very pro 2A but wasn't aware open carry was permissible in PA. I explained the details around it and he seemed surprised but seemed to have enjoyed the conversation. Turns out he is a big fan of WWII era pistols, something I had not known up to that point. The second person responded by saying "I hope he is a cop or a security guard". I then explained citizens are allowed to carry in PA with a permit, she seemed not to be totally aware of this fact something anyone on this forum takes for granted as common knowledge.

This whole experience yesterday brought me to a few conclusions. People outside the gun community are often uneducated on the facts surrounding firearms ownership and will fill in the blanks with their own misconceptions. Even people who are casually supportive of the second amendment are still somewhat uninformed. So I am going to try from this point forward to try and have more regular conversations with people on the 2nd Amendment and gun ownership rights. I will look to speak with people whom I haven't had the conversation with before and my goal is not to be combative but to have a constructive conversation and hopefully educate. If I happen to be talking to friends I have known for a long time. I will try to invite them to the range to see what shooting sports are all about.

My motivation to do this has come from the renewed push for gun control in the wake of the tragic church shooting in Charleston. It seems the powers that be in the democratic party will never stop and while writing politicians and voicing are opinions to them is important I believe talking to individuals on the ground level and educating people is an equally valid approach. I am not the kind of person who will likely ever start a firearms channel on YouTube but I do now feel the need to speak up and say something. I think one on one conversations is something I do quite well, so that is what I plan to contribute. It seems non gun owners, also don't seem to realize the number of people who do own, they seem to believe that the gun owners in this country encompass a very small percentage of the population mainly centered around the 5 million NRA members. They don't realize it goes far beyond that and it is likely people they know are gun owners they are just not aware of it. I think this is something we need to change.

I look at it this way, if I take 3 friends to the range to shoot for the first time in a year and one decides it's not for them, one says they may shoot casually but only rent and one person is really into it and eventually purchases as gun. I have brought a new gun owner into the fold. Let's assume 10 million gun owners accomplished the same thing, that's 10 million new gun owners. Also if I talk with 100 people, 50 hate guns and will never be changed 25 are unsure but are willing to listen, and 25 have a strong interest. Just by bringing up the topic if you can get 5 people to try it out and 3 end up as life long gun owners that's another win.

I believe strongly that protecting our 2nd Amendment rights moving forward will not come from petitioning politicians, but educating our friends, family and the people around us.

Sorry for the rant, just felt the need to voice that.

(Wayne County)

Default Re: I saw someone OC'ing today.... more discussions about 2A with people we meet in l

I agree with your post and think your ideas are great. I grew up in NYC but own a home in PA. New Yorkers assume gun owners are either gangsters or mentally ill. When I drive to PA with my NY plates, people assume I'm anti gun and will call the cops if I saw someone with a gun.
    My family and I been the victim of 2 home invasions and robberies. Criminals always get illegal weapons if they try. I strongly believe guns save lives. When good guys use guns it never gets on the news, the hunter, the guy who goes to the range after work, the woman who has a gun in the home to protect her family. When a bad guy uses a gun every news agency is talking about it, this makes people think guns are a disease and have no place in society.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: I saw someone OC'ing today.... more discussions about 2A with people we meet in l

Quote Originally Posted by Will3212 View Post
    I agree with your post and think your ideas are great. I grew up in NYC but own a home in PA. New Yorkers assume gun owners are either gangsters or mentally ill. When I drive to PA with my NY plates, people assume I'm anti gun and will call the cops if I saw someone with a gun.
    My family and I been the victim of 2 home invasions and robberies. Criminals always get illegal weapons if they try. I strongly believe guns save lives. When good guys use guns it never gets on the news, the hunter, the guy who goes to the range after work, the woman who has a gun in the home to protect her family. When a bad guy uses a gun every news agency is talking about it, this makes people think guns are a disease and have no place in society.
    To your points about after work I can't even begin to tell you how many guys in suits I see coming to the range after the 9-5 shift ends, putting in some practice before heading home. I also worked in the NYC area for about a year and I think the reason NY'ers think that way is partially due to what they are spoon fed but also due to the fact just seeing a legal firearm other than on a police officers belt is a rare occurrence. If a person is kept in the dark about a particular topic, it is just natural they will start to believe what they hear when there are measures in place to keep them from investigating for themselves.

I have only been into firearms for a little over a year, there was a lot I did not know or fully understand when I started so I can understand how other's misconceptions about firearms exist. When I bought my first gun, just holding it was a new and unusual and I wasn't totally comfortable at first but now it has become a common part of my everyday life. I know my firearms are weapons and can be dangerous if mishandled and I respect that; but I also feel that a lot of the mystery and foreignness I used to view firearms with is all but gone at this point. And I think that is what we have to do, demystify firearms for other people.
    Last edited by S.Austin10; June 21st, 2015 at 01:13 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Many of my encounters and conversations with people about my open carry has been with African Americans. Many are concealed carriers that start the conversation or they're supportive and talk about being responsible for our own safety. The talks sometimes lead to other subjects and we're in agreement. Where is the disconnect? Why aren't they being heard or welcomed or speaking out?

(Wayne County)

I was always into guns, but I could never buy one because NYC makes it so difficult to get a license that it's like a ban. As a kid my favorite toy was my nerf guns, in fact I still have them. I was able to go to the range in Long Island NY when I turned 18 to rent and shoot long guns. My dream was to one day own my own firearm and eventually give it to my son when he turns 18. There are 2 quotes I'd always remember, "I'd rather live dangerously in freedom, than peacefully as slaves," and "When the people fear the government there's tyranny, when the gov. fears the people there is freedom". I think these quotes were from Thomas Jefferson.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    Many of my encounters and conversations with people about my open carry has been with African Americans. Many are concealed carriers that start the conversation or they're supportive and talk about being responsible for our own safety. The talks sometimes lead to other subjects and we're in agreement. Where is the disconnect? Why aren't they being heard or welcomed or speaking out?
    guns are a taboo subject in many places such as NYC. Gun owners usually keep quiet about owning guns cause well they don't want people to label them as a gun nut or something worse. Most of the time people hear about guns when a gangster uses it, or a mad man commits a mass shooting. This gives people the opinion that firearms should be banned and whoever owns one should be locked up.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Will3212 View Post
    guns are a taboo subject in many places such as NYC. Gun owners usually keep quiet about owning guns cause well they don't want people to label them as a gun nut or something worse. Most of the time people hear about guns when a gangster uses it, or a mad man commits a mass shooting. This gives people the opinion that firearms should be banned and whoever owns one should be locked up.
    Which is why the anti's are so upset about OC - the more times people see decent, law-abiding people carrying, the more they see through the lies.

A couple of months ago, my wife and I went out to eat at the Verona Village Inn. She noticed a guy behind me who was fixated on my gun the whole time. When his wife got up to leave the table, he even motioned to her to go the other way around their table so she wouldn't walk past me. The poor fool was having a tough time coping with a peaceful, armed guy wearing chinos and a polo shirt in a nice restaurant. But hey, he had an experience where absolutely nothing happened and nobody else seemed to care, so hopefully at least a little of that lesson will sink in, and maybe he'll be a little less nervous next time. Educating one or two people at a time won't make much of a difference, but we have to start somewhere, whether it's through discussions or just being visible. We won't make any progress in the closet.

(Tioga County)

I think often people can get too caught up in thinking they've got to move and sway opinion of thousands of people to make things happen and since that is often a major task they throw up their hands and do nothing at all. I hear it all the time with people saying their vote doesn't make a difference or corresponding with their representatives or being active out in public and their private life advocating certain positions. But actually it can and even if every one of us can get a few more people actively involved it will add up over time.