Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: Vote YES to Semi-Auto for Hunting in PA

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    Sorry, but I would vote against you owning any firearms period. Sound ridiculous? In my humble opinion so does your sporting argument. You presume that people want to use semi-auto's so they can "fire multiple rounds in fast succession" . Frankly I think that couldn't be further from the truth and is the same logic shared by anti-gunners. You want to make hunting more sporting, ban hunting from tree stands and any other man made elevated hunting structure. Hell that isn't hunting that is ambushing (Sarcasm), or maybe we only allow archery?
    Common Sense & Good Stewardship of Mother Nature's Criiters does not make one an "anti-gunner".

i think you should not muddy the waters of a discussion with a totally different aspect of hunting (tree stands).

fyi - that is a cheap debate trick used by empty headed liberal anti-gunners when they have no ground to stand on..

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
    Common Sense & Good Stewardship of Mother Nature's Criiters does not make one an "anti-gunner".

i think you should not muddy the waters of a discussion with a totally different aspect of hunting (tree stands).

fyi - that is a cheap debate trick used by empty headed liberal anti-gunners when they have no ground to stand on..
    So is saying, because I have seen a handful of idiots act as such at a range, that all those who would hunt with a semi-auto would also act like idiots. If you want to stick with facts, then in other states that allow these type of rifles for hunting there isn't any higher instance of accidents then here in PA. When statistics are looked at then almost all of the arguments against this really fall apart.

If someone is acting in an unsafe manner at a range I would say something. The act of loading only 3 rounds is a dumb rule though and I wouldn't/haven't got my panties in a bunch over just that. One of the reasons I don't go to SGL ranges anymore is the stupid rules that don't allow me to load my mags to capacity.

(Allegheny County)

I have to side with Cyclops on this issue - and I will vote a BIG NO on allowing semis for hunting Penn's Woods.

Your argument may hold water with YOU.

However, I have witnessed too many yahoos at gun ranges that ignore the Game Commission range regs of 3 shells per weapon, and try to play Rambo - before I take issue, make myself the range sherrif and inform them they are breaking regs, and even though I do not like the idea of "dropping a dime to the MAN" - that I will do it in a NY minute unless they play by the rules or LEAVE. These are the same folks that mutilate target backings and posts, leave trash, and i suspect tag a few graffitti markings like they are a predator marking it's territory. (It makes my blood boil).

Once again, I believe you when you stated you would not let the lead fly machine-gun style with your fast trigger finger, but I don't buy that 90% of the rest of semi owners would.

I own a couple of semi auto rifles - they are 22 cal and intended for plinking at my private range - as fair play intended.

If they do legalize semi-autos, I would still choose to use my pump or bolt action rifles - because as cyclops explained - it is good sportsmanship and follows the rules of fair play. (yes - even on Coyotes - which I consider to be anything but vermin like most other folks.

Whatever happened to "one shot one kill"?

I'll tell you what I think happened to it.

The young guys (biggest demographic of semi auto purchasers) don't want to hear about it because they could not produce a killer Go Pro/Youtube Video with a boring "One Shot One Kill" harvest.

I say "Tough Cookies".

I VOTE NO.
    Time to get with the times and lose the fudd mentality. It won't be a Rambo type scenario as I keep hearing people like you say, no different than some yahoo with a pump or lever gun lighting up the woods because he can't shoot or hunt.

(Allegheny County)

He used a perfect example, fudds want to keep it fair and challenging so lose the tree stand and hunt with a flintlock or bow.

The fudds have arrived.....

(Cumberland County)

Really, we're having this debate among ourselves?

One of the biggest cards that the gun grabbers use is the "it's not legal for hunting" card. Take that card out of their hands.

I don't want to hear the "that gun is for war" argument either. At one time, your flint lock, rolling block, leaver action, bolt action, etc. were ALL guns originally designed for use by soldiers in war. Hell, I would argue that ALL arms development has been driven by man's need to beat the living snot out of each other - starting with a sharp stick. And oh yeah, that sharp stick is also good for killing animals that we can eat. The rest of the story writes itself.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    The fudds have arrived.....
    Great, when are the gays gonna get here.

(Wyoming County)

To categorize all semi-automatic owners as careless/reckless hunters despite the fact that PA is a STAND ALONE state in prohibiting their use, sounds like the cheap debate trick to me.

The comment in a previous post that folks shouldn't buy a particular rifle because it isn't currently allowed to be used regardless of game species or caliber in 1 state in the U.S. is in my opinion asinine. Maybe you are the one without any ground to stand upon.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Bucks County)

I have to side with Cyclops on this issue - and I will vote a BIG NO on allowing semis for hunting Penn's Woods.

Your argument may hold water with YOU.

However, I have witnessed too many yahoos at gun ranges that ignore the Game Commission range regs of 3 shells per weapon, and try to play Rambo - before I take issue, make myself the range sherrif and inform them they are breaking regs, and even though I do not like the idea of "dropping a dime to the MAN" - that I will do it in a NY minute unless they play by the rules or LEAVE. These are the same folks that mutilate target backings and posts, leave trash, and i suspect tag a few graffitti markings like they are a predator marking it's territory. (It makes my blood boil).

Once again, I believe you when you stated you would not let the lead fly machine-gun style with your fast trigger finger, but I don't buy that 90% of the rest of semi owners would.

I own a couple of semi auto rifles - they are 22 cal and intended for plinking at my private range - as fair play intended.

If they do legalize semi-autos, I would still choose to use my pump or bolt action rifles - because as cyclops explained - it is good sportsmanship and follows the rules of fair play. (yes - even on Coyotes - which I consider to be anything but vermin like most other folks.

Whatever happened to "one shot one kill"?

I'll tell you what I think happened to it.

The young guys (biggest demographic of semi auto purchasers) don't want to hear about it because they could not produce a killer Go Pro/Youtube Video with a boring "One Shot One Kill" harvest.

I say "Tough Cookies".

I VOTE NO.
    Coming from the "young guys" demographic (I'm 22) I do take offense to the perceived notion that we are the ones that are going to be blasting away dangerously with semi auto's and ruin hunting for everyone. I've personally seen those much older than me recklessly empty a clip through a pump gun or shoot through bushes at where they thought the deer was based on the antlers then blast away trying to hit it again.

Out of our group of hunters me and my brother are the two youngest (he is 19) by several years and we are by and large the least likely of the group to use a second shot. We even proposed a miss jar at camp that you put a dollar in if you miss or use a second shot on a deer to make sure that everyone was aiming better. The reason is that we practice, a lot, to make sure that when the time comes we only need one round. We pride ourselves on the "One Shot, One Kill" and I have spent many summer paychecks and countless hours setting up my rifles, handloading and practicing for hunting season.

The notion that just because we allow semi autos that people will start dumping more rounds at game simply because they have them is absurd. People can do that with any gun that has a magazine whether it be pump, bolt, lever or semi. By that logic we should all switch back to using only bows and muzzleloaders because they physically force the person to only shoot one round at a time. I personally would like to have the option to use my AR for coyotes and my Garand for deer.

Also look at it this way, those who spend the $900 to $1500 to get a semi auto hunting rig are far more likely to practice more with it than those who spend $500 on a cheap bolt gun and only check their zero once a year before deer season.

Finally a question for varmintblaster, you mention that the people messing up the range, were they there practicing for hunting or just screwing around? I ask because if they bought a semi to blow off rounds then that isn't really representative of those that would actually use them for hunting.

as i have stated in other threads, the bugaboos of sunday hunting and semi auto hunting seem to get the best of many a pennsylvania sportsman. despite significant evidence to the contrary, the opposition holds on tight to their arguments that are largely based on fear and/or blue laws. there is no shortage of states that allow both sunday hunting and the use of semi autos for ALL SEASONS and nothing bad comes of it. people who respect God's creation continue to show respect and those who don't continue to act like jerks. the day someone hunts or what he/she uses to harvest will not change that.

i never understood the worry enveloping either issue (no matter how many wives tails i hear/heard over a beer from an "old timer") when i lived in pa and now that i live in wv and hunt on sundays with a semi i really don't.

[disclaimer#1: i have hunted and continue to hunt both pa and wv each and every year]

[disclaimer#2: i respect everyones right to an opinion and the above is just mine]
    Montani Semper Liberi

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast