Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default How to adjust Pistol sights

Hey guys, just picked up a discontinued HK USP45 with a stainless steel slide. Took it out to the range and at about 5 feet, I was hitting a nice small group very low and to the left. When I compensated, High and right, I did the same group perfectly center. Same goes for the steel targets. The pistol has the 3-dot sights. Any way to fix this? I think I need to get a different front sight to account for elevation, and the rear for the windage. Bit of a noob to Pistol sighting in, all the others have been fine so far. Thanks for any insight. (Pun :P)

~FireGS

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: How to adjust Pistol sights

It probably isn't the sights.

A 7 O'Clock POI usually indicates an issue with trigger manipulation (slapping or mashing the trigger).

Being new to handguns this may be difficult to comprehend.

On the first trigger press, "take up the slack" (free movement prior to feeling resistance). This resistance (or engagement) is the fire control group components beginning to bear against each other.

Pause the trigger press at the resistance / engagement, verify your sight alignment / sight picture and gradually increase pressure until the shot breaks.

During the discharge of the firearm, DO NOT allow your trigger finger to break contact with the trigger and KEEP HOLDING THE TRIGGER to the rear until you reacquire another sight alignment / sight picture.

At this point, EASE the trigger to reset (you'll feel and hear a click). Don't allow the trigger to rebound any farther than this RESET point.

Gradually increase pressure until the next shot breaks.

Repeat.

(Chester County)

I agree with Tony F.

Also don't insert trigger finger too far in on the trigger - this causes a 7 o'clock POI for righties. It should be somewhere around back of nail.

(Pike County)

That's what's so great about this site! You get answers to questions you never even think to ask!

I have exactly the same issue with my new pistol (Sig P226 in .40S&W)....now I know what to work on.

Rep coming to both of you (although I may not have enough posts for it to be worth anything.....it's the thought that counts though)

(Allegheny County)

I think Tony nailed it.

But in case he didn't, to adjust the POA just rear sight.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    I agree with Tony F.

Also don't insert trigger finger too far in on the trigger - this causes a 7 o'clock POI for righties. It should be somewhere around back of nail.
    Yes. Too much finger on the trigger also causes low left POI. Use the pad, not the first joint.

(Lehigh County)

I'll have to give this a try. I believe I was doing that, so I wont know anything till I try it again. As soon as I read this, i picked it up and held it the way I have been, and I'm guilty of this. I love this forum. Rep incoming.

(Dauphin County)

found this thought it might help !

Tigers love pepper, they don't like cinnamon !

(Westmoreland County)

[QUOTE=4XLT;370173]found this thought it might help !

This chart helps but most often a new shooter is committing more than one error.

(Lehigh County)

http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29608

I'm right handed and shoot low and left, I think there's a problem with the gun? No it's you. The sights are fine. The USP trigger is a difficult trigger to master. What you are doing is pushing the trigger with way too much force. The USP trigger travel is really long. If you shoot it like a conventional SA pull, you will end up shooting low and left. Best advice is to learn how to apply a constant and even pressure from the time your finger touches the trigger till the shot breaks. The shot should come as a complete surprise. The conventional method is to take up the slack and press the trigger when you want it to break. Most people do not have good control of their fingers to do this accurately. So you end up pushing with a lot more force than necessary and thereby pushing the gun low and left. *HK USP trigger is a difficult trigger to master. If you still don't believe me, shoot the gun off a rest or sandbags. 99.9% of the time, the problem will go away. Of all the threads in the past 5 years, I recall only one person that actually had sights that were shifted.
    +1. Im only curious because I bought it used and didn't know what the previous owner may have had set up. But this sounds like a winner.
    Last edited by FireGS; July 22nd, 2008 at 10:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast