Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Florida Non-Resident Carry Permit

You can oppen carry anywhere in PA WITHOUT a permit. You only need a permit to open carry in Philadelphia. A Florida permit would suffice but be prepared from unwanted harrassment and hostility from the Phila Police if you Open Carry on a Florida Permit.

Greg

Right, I understand that you don't need the permit to open carry unless you are in the City of Philadelphia because it is a city of the first class; however, do you need to be a resident of PA in order to openly carry here?

They're just like small children, Its an EGO thing, " well if I can't have it this way, then I want it this way"..WAAAAAH - BrownBear (speaking of liberals)

(Philadelphia County)

No you can open carry if not a resident of PA in Philadelphia with a permit recognized by the AG of PA.

Regardless of what permit or LTCF you choose to open carry in Phila on, do plan to have unwanted hostility and problems from the Philly police.

I would not reccomend OC in Phila unless with an organized group. If not your likely to be in hand cuff and in jail until they hash out that it's legal.

You will still be arrested and be inconvienenced.

Greg

Hows that song go? You can open carry car, you can open carry in a bar, you can carry from afar. Something along those lines.

Ps ditch that serpa piece of crap and get your self some good leather.
    Plastic holsters are for carrying tupperware.

Be very afraid of a man with only one gun.
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights reserved.
    911 - government sponsored Dial-a-Prayer

I haven't even had a chance to check out my new holster yet and I'm told to dump it?! lmao, its at my mom's place right now and I'm in Philly still....I'll get to check it out on Friday.

I am currently looking at every brand of IWB holster available, every time a new manufacturer comes up on the forums it goes on my list to check out. Checked out about 15 different manufacturers so far and possibly going to go with a Blackhawk IWB holster. Its either that or a BladeTech. Any suggestions for a Beretta?

They're just like small children, Its an EGO thing, " well if I can't have it this way, then I want it this way"..WAAAAAH - BrownBear (speaking of liberals)

(Allegheny County)

Default IMPORTANT: Carrying in PA using a FLORIDA CWP vs a PA LTCF

Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    Hey guys,
    I know PA and FL have reciprocity. My question is: Does my FL non-resident work the same way a PA LTCF works? Can I open carry in PA without being a PA resident, but have the FL non-res.?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Important, please note:

There IS one area where there is a difference between
    :

carrying in PA on a PA LTCF (resident or non-resident)
    vs.
    carrying in PA on a FL CWP, UTAH CFP or ANY Non-Resident permit ...

School Zones (K thru 12).

You must have a permit _issued by the state in which the school is located_ for certain Federal or State exemptions to the GFSZA (Gun Free School Zone Act). This would apply whether you were in a vehicle or on foot on school property of a K thru 12 school.

States (or the local municipality in the absence of statewide preemption) may offer their own "enhancements" to the GFSZA.

For example: I am from PA and have a second home in Virginia.
    I have a VA Non-Resident permit in my "collection".
    I can have a concealed firearm on my person or in my vehicle while in the traffic circle / drop off area or similar of a school in Virginia - I simply cannot exit the vehicle armed.

In areas where permits can be issued by local officials rather than the state, these also qualify for the exemption (county sheriff, chief of police, selectman / alderman / councilman).

You may wish to reference the following:

Opinion letter from ATF confirming the above

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/batf_school_zone.pdf

also the 1996 version of the Gun Free School Zone Act

(be mindful if you search via Google or similar simply using the name of the Act, the original 1990 version was struck down by the Supreme Court as unconstitutional so check the date of the text / webpage)

18 USC 922 (q) (B) (ii)

... hope this is useful ...

BCI

NRA Certified Instructor / PA State Constable

(Allegheny County)

Default Florida CWP vs. Utah CFP or other non-res permits: pros / cons

UTAH CFP, for a Utah resident, has the maximum coverage offered any permit, including Florida's. Reason for all of the recognition: stringent training outine (it is a Felony for me to deviate from the course) and the fact that the entire UTAH CFP database is run through NICS every 24 hours.

Florida's permit is often touted due to it's minimal training requirements (DD214, Hunter's Safety, any NRA course, etc...) but it's coverage is less than Utah's and it's cost is far greater.

For nearly all Pennsylvania residents,
    UTAH is still a better value than FLORIDA.
    For the first permit / first 5 years, costs are roughly equal.
    As of 5 years and a day, UTAH is far less expensive.

Start up costs for Utah are similar or slightly higher
    ($65.25 for the initial permit + $75 or less for my class and fingerprints),
    but as of your first renewal
    ($117 for FL every 5 years, $10 for Utah)
    Utah becomes infinitely less expensive.
    your first Florida renewal would pay for over 50 years of Utah renewals.

UTAH renewals are a single page notarized form and $10.
    FLORIDA renewals are the _same_ process as a new application;
    full application, NEW fingerprints, etc...

A PA resident carrying on a UTAH CFP is covered in 29 states.
    A PA resident carrying on a PA LTCF and UTAH CFP is covered in 34 states.
    A PA resident permit get you coverage in Florida, so no other need for FL.

A PA LTCF offers no coverage to the adjacent states of Ohio or Delaware.
    UTAH CFP gets you both, regardless of whether you have a PA LTCF.

I have 5 permits (PA, UT, NH, VA, FL) and I'm covered (sometimes by 4 or 5 of those permits) in 34 states.
    I'm eligible for approx. 4 more that would add that state alone (ME, MA, CT, SC) to my total count that I havent pursued due to cost or lack of need / interest. If work or family take me in those directions, I'll pursue them if need be. Reciprocity agreements can change, so I like the double coverage.

... hope this helps, and may save some folks a few $$$ ...

(Allegheny County)

Default Resident vs. Non-Resident Permits Generally

For those that carry on a Non-Resident permit, the following info may prevent you from accidentally becoming a felon

There are 7 states which recognize Resident permits only
    (CO NH FL WV MI *KS *SC) ---- the PA LTCF gets you the first 5 of 7.

Resident permit only exceptions for PA LTCF holders are as follows:

*Kansas = no agreement in place with PA

*South Carolina = no agreement in place with PA, and none likely due to a new law signed less than 2 months ago in SC, to qualify for reciprocity or regonition you must meet or exceed SC's training requirement.
    As PA LTCF has no training prerequesite, a deal is impossible.
    SC is really the only "hole" in UTAH coverage from PA south, excepting the People's Republic of Maryland

PS - there is 1 way to obtain the limited (and virtually unknown)
    SC Non-Resident Permit:

You must own real property there. I know of folks who for example as a group split the modest cost of a 1/2 acre vacant lot. They showed their proof of property tax payment and successfully applied for the SC Non-Res permit. This is especially common amongst retired military who are fond of returning to the area for visiting former brothers in arms / hunting / camping / recreation / etc ... as I believe SC is highly ranked or # 1 in terms of retired military folks who are residents.

For those interested, you may wish to visit the thread titled:

" SOUTH CAROLINA -
    obtaining coverage via SC Non- Res property owners permit "

SC does offer very liberal vehicle carry (ok loaded in glove box, console, etc... with a *latch* / closure mechanism, does not require a lock) if you are just passing through, and you can carry from your vehicle to your lodging (private / rental / leased).

Hope this helps...

(poster is a Full Time UTAH CFP & NRA Instructor covering 6+ states incl. PA;
    UTAH CFP Course $75 @ or less at your site - including fingerprinting services)

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

Default Re: Resident vs. Non-Resident Permits Generally

FL has now extended their lisc to 7 years, same price. The renewal is not 117.00, but something like 65.00, the 117.00 includes the processing of fingerprints and is a 1 time deal.

Being I am a MD resident, this was the easiest way for me to be allowed to carry concealed in PA, the state I live jammed right up next to. I already had a hunters safety class and the certificate to prove it, so I had no need to take a basic class for FL such as an NRA sactioned basic handgun safety class. The hunter class cost me 6.00 to take.

Getting a PA nonres ltcf was out of the question, since even people handling gobs of cash for their legit business in Baltimore city have trouble getting a MD carry lisc. A lisc issued by your home state is needed to get a nonres PA ltcf.
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Lackawanna County)

Take a look at the FIST-Inc Options

http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/Default.htm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast