Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637 LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Default Re: Pop quiz: What are you carrying at the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by FJW View Post
    Cool!
    I use my Radom P83 as a BUG, sometimes carry it out just for shits and giggles. My new Bulgarian Makarov was delivered today. It will probably fall in the same niche. One of these days I'll probably pick up a CZ82 also. I had one in mind as my first handgun. The LGS salesman talked me out of it, and I walked. A few days later my first handgun turned out to be a .45 ACP Bersa. I rarely carry it anymore for several reasons....but occasionally still do.
    I've thought about picking up a p83 a few times. I need a mak or two as well, although I'd probably carry the 82 over those. It's one of the guns I just always seem to shoot well and it's been flawlessly reliable with the exception of one mag I have that I marked for range use only. I carry it with the Hornady custom 95gr loads.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    I've thought about picking up a p83 a few times. I need a mak or two as well, although I'd probably carry the 82 over those. It's one of the guns I just always seem to shoot well and it's been flawlessly reliable with the exception of one mag I have that I marked for range use only. I carry it with the Hornady custom 95gr loads.
    With HP's, the CZ82 seems like a force to be reckoned with for street carry. Alot of people think ammo in the .380 category and below is best in FMJ to assure penetration. My P83 doesnt wont cycle Critical Defense. Twice it stovepiped on the first shot. Enough for me not to trust it. I bought 4 extra mags, and I love how thin, light and easy they are... to carry them all, or just 2 or 3. I've debated with myself whether or not to dremel and polish the feed ramp and try again with hollow-points.

I ageee, it seems that people who carry small steel guns seemnto have the least complaints about function and reliability. Aside wiith being a little small for actual "combat" pistols, the 9x18's & 380's are extremely popular still long after plastic compacts first dominated the market.

I like my P83 (and Ive said this in orher posts) becsuse its the only handgun I have that I actually shoit from the hip and consistently hit human head sized objects from about 5 - 7 yards. Sometimes I tjink that really makes up for having a 9x19.

(Bucks County)

G43 in a Alien Gear IWB holster, extra mag (AG IWB mag holder), Spyderco Military Model G10

Yes, I'm British... But I have good teeth!

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by FJW View Post
    With HP's, the CZ82 seems like a force to be reckoned with for street carry. Alot of people think ammo in the .380 category and below is best in FMJ to assure penetration. My P83 doesnt wont cycle Critical Defense. Twice it stovepiped on the first shot. Enough for me not to trust it. I bought 4 extra mags, and I love how thin, light and easy they are... to carry them all, or just 2 or 3. I've debated with myself whether or not to dremel and polish the feed ramp and try again with hollow-points.

I ageee, it seems that people who carry small steel guns seemnto have the least complaints about function and reliability. Aside wiith being a little small for actual "combat" pistols, the 9x18's & 380's are extremely popular still long after plastic compacts first dominated the market.

I like my P83 (and Ive said this in orher posts) becsuse its the only handgun I have that I actually shoit from the hip and consistently hit human head sized objects from about 5 - 7 yards. Sometimes I tjink that really makes up for having a 9x19.

There was a thread recently about 9x18 ppu hollow points and how they preformed on gel. It got me curious about how the Hornady preformed, so I looked for it's gel testing. From what I saw, my load with the xtp's penetrated between 10 and 13" and opened up reliably all the time to almost double in size. I don't know all the science involved, but it would seem to dumb all of it's energy in the target and have very little chance of over penetration. That won't meet say the fbi standard or some people's here, but I think it would easily be able to stop a threat in the real world. I also carry guns in 9x19, .45, and 38/357 from time to time and a lowly little .25 beretta as a bug almost all the time. I feel comfortable with all of them really. The reality is all pistol calibers suck, some just more than others. Shot placement is key, so I always carry guns that I shoot well and can get hits on target.

Watch carrying 9x18 fmj. Some of them easily penetrated 25" plus of gel in the YouTube videos I watched.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    15 inch adjustable and a 4 pounder.
    That's not what she said.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Butler County)

With the exception of my P83 because of the stovepiping, I have XTP or Critical Defense rounds handy for all my other handguns. XTP may not open up as reliably as other HP's but I think because they have excellent penetration and accuracy it more than makes up for it....especially if you might use a handgun to put down a 4-legged critter and need a little extra penetration. I sometimes stagger XTP's with lighter higher velocity semi-fragging HP's in my magazines....for making multidimensional mincemeat out of flesh. (Is it politically incorrect to say that?)
    Last edited by FJW; April 7th, 2017 at 02:36 PM.

(Delaware County)

P-89 and some gas........................No just the p-89 now.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Allegheny County)

Kahr P9 Covert.
    Feels good again.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Delaware County)

LCP lots of extra weight due to the inability to discern the difference between being bored and being hungry.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Lackawanna County)

As i'm walking my poochie, a Sig P228 in a iwb leather Galco. Since i lost 20 pounds the iwb holster more comfortable.

Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637 LastLast