Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Anyone carry OLD guns?

I like guns that both work AND have collector / coolness value. My carry guns are therefore almost never 'new' style guns.

My most frequent carry gun recently is an Heckler & Koch P7 that was made in 1985. That's a 30 year old pistol. I have one that was made in 1979 as well. I also like to carry my Russian Makarov PM, which was made sometime in the early 90's. That's somewhat old. The oldest gun I carried was a S&W hand ejector dated to 1928. I don't have that one anymore, but it was a cool piece of history.

Does anyone else here like to carry / rely on 'old' guns? If so, do you have any concerns about the quality of steel in guns from WWII era or before? I'm thinking about a Luger P08, and I wonder about the steel quality used back 1910-1940. As far as I can tell, my old guns are still in VERY good shape.

thanks
    Last edited by American1776; June 12th, 2015 at 03:34 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Anyone carry OLD guns?

I carry Glocks, because they're reliable, replaceable and relatively cheap. Carry whatever you want to carry, so long as you feel you can trust it, it should be fine IMO.

(Lycoming County)

As was said above if it proves to be reliable, then carry whatever you like. Personally, my favorite carry gun right now is a star bks (1973 vintage). It has proven to be reliable at the range and I shoot it well. I just got it refinished so now it's purty as well.

(Franklin County)

Something to consider when carrying valuable weapons is that if there is an incident they will generally be seized for evidence and may sit in a police bin for quite some time...since P7s on gun broker are fetching big bucks I might take bluetrane's advice and go with the Glock instead...
    USMC 2/10 1982-85
    ~REMEMBER FT. HOOD~

Quote Originally Posted by Maquis View Post
    Something to consider when carrying valuable weapons is that if there is an incident they will generally be seized for evidence and may sit in a police bin for quite some time...since P7s on gun broker are fetching big bucks I might take bluetrane's advice and go with the Glock instead...
    Thanks for the input! That's exactly why I bought TWO P7's.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I don't carry old guns, but I'd have no reservations carrying my S&W Model 10 revolver. It was used as a NYPD duty gun, so that's good enough for me. I also have the original leather (level-3?) retention holster that requires an extra twist to get it out.

(Wayne County)

Does a S&W chief special count?

(Jefferson County)

I carry my H&R Hammerless Small Frame 2nd Model just about every day. ...made in the mid 1910's.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    I like guns that both work AND have collector / coolness value. My carry guns are therefore almost never 'new' style guns.

My most frequent carry gun recently is an Heckler & Koch P7 that was made in 1985. That's a 30 year old pistol. I have one that was made in 1979 as well. I also like to carry my Russian Makarov PM, which was made sometime in the early 90's. That's somewhat old. The oldest gun I carried was a S&W hand ejector dated to 1928. I don't have that one anymore, but it was a cool piece of history.

Does anyone else here like to carry / rely on 'old' guns? If so, do you have any concerns about the quality of steel in guns from WWII era or before? I'm thinking about a Luger P08, and I wonder about the steel quality used back 1910-1940. As far as I can tell, my old guns are still in VERY good shape.

thanks
    So long as you aren't using hot loads you should be ok as long as the gun is already structurally sound.

A Luger P08 shouldn't be using hot loads to begin with because of its toggle action. Your general run of the mill milserp or ball ammo 115gr is what the P08 was designed to handle.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

One of my carry guns is a S&W 59. The original double stack 9mm.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast