Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default .223 suppressor make/model suggestions?

I was looking at gunbroker.com and came across a Phantom SS/QD .223 suppressor. Any NFA guys have any opinion on that one, or maybe another?

Default Re: .223 suppressor make/model suggestions?

i have a gemtech halo for my .223 its ok, you dont need hearing protection but its still loud. if you want it any quieter you have to use sub-sonic ammo but that defeats the purpose of using a high power round. i have never used any other suppressor so i cant help you on that, all i have to say is buy something that is built well and will last because 850.00 is a lot of cash to dump on something that make less noise

(Northampton County)

I also have Gemtech Halo but have thus far only fired at indoor ranges (thus hearing protection) on full auto. So I don't know for sure what it actually does!

(York County)

I have a 7.62 YHM Phantom and I am extremely please with the it. You really can't beat the price and the performance and quality is great. The QD system works really well. I am waiting on the form return on a YHM mite and the YHM 5.56 SS will be my next purchase.
    "History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid" - Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower

(Berks County)

I have the AAC M4-2000. Great can. Makes the rifle sound like a 22. No hearing protection needed.

I 2nd the M4-2000. Nice can and great that you can get multiple flash hider/adaptors. I have an adaptor on all my AR15's, Steyr Aug, and even my 10/22 rifle!

If cost is an issue and it's only going on one firearm, consider the can made by Tactical Innovations TAC16. Extremely attractive at $450 and is full auto rated. It may not be pretty like my M4-2000 but the price is hard to beat.

There is a really good comparison video on YouTube. It compares the TAC16 with YMH Phantom, M4-2000, and a generic multi-caliber suppressor.

The TAC16 and M4-2000 came out top dog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EeWGJ6GSwA

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndchance View Post
    I 2nd the M4-2000. Nice can and great that you can get multiple flash hider/adaptors. I have an adaptor on all my AR15's, Steyr Aug, and even my 10/22 rifle!

If cost is an issue and it's only going on one firearm, consider the can made by Tactical Innovations TAC16. Extremely attractive at $450 and is full auto rated. It may not be pretty like my M4-2000 but the price is hard to beat.

There is a really good comparison video on YouTube. It compares the TAC16 with YMH Phantom, M4-2000, and a generic multi-caliber suppressor.

The TAC16 and M4-2000 came out top dog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EeWGJ6GSwA
    Video cameras have an automatic audio gain control. Once the sound is over a certain Db level the camera does not accurately capture it.

Meaning, Video is a horrible way to compare suppressors.

Craig is a nice guy and all, but it's not worth $450
    No, not billet martini glasses... Baffles.... EVIL Baffles

True, most video does have an auto gain control and dB level can be masked. And sound won't exceed it. But that is hardly an argument on this comparison.

For the sake of argument, let say THIS video was shot with a camera WITH AGC and a set dB level. If all the suppressors reached the max threshold of the dB level, then they would all sound the same. If any of them fell below the dB level you would hear the difference.

Like watching a video of a man whispering , then speaking at normal voice.

In the case of this video, you can hear two suppressors "pop" much quieter than the other two. Therefore, it is an acceptable assumption that those two cans are quieter.

As for the value of the can.. is ANY can really worth their weight in gold? C'mon. I paid $$$ for my M4-2000 because it's smaller and it offers a quick connect. I would gladly have bought the TAC16 if I didn't need those two features. Face it, the MFGs have a HUGE markup on cans. One guy at AAC, while at the Shot Show, told me that their break even on the EVO9 is $200.

Now that they can't re-serial number a tube, the value of ALL CANS should drop in everybody's mind... about $200 less.