Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: AR15 Optic Choice

Backward EOTech...classic!

And some PD put that idiot on a SWAT team...

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by MagRelease View Post
    Sorry for the delayed response, had a busy few days. As for the rifle use – I suppose it’s primarily a home defense/SHTF rifle. But I obviously will be shooting it for fun as much as possible and practicing, and hopefully never using it for any more than that. I don’t have any good places to shoot more than 50-100 yards, less than 50 on my own property usually, so I’d say the rifle will primarily be close range home defense that daylights as a target shooter out to 50 yards.

Specs as far as? It’s a 1/7 twist, 5.56/223, 16’’,etc. What specifics do you mean?

I do need glasses, not sure about any astigmatism (haven’t been to the eye doctor in 15 years) – but that can be fixed (eventually). The only other optics I am familiar with are regular scopes. I don’t have any extensive red dot/reflex/quick acquisition optic experience.
    Sounds good. If you're shooting inside of 100 yards a lot of the advantages of a 1-4 or 3-9 scopes are lost. They're also a bit slower in quick acquisition because even the best lighted scopes aren't extremely bright. Although a 16" 1:7 rifle is certainly capable of some longer range work (~300+ yards) it's better suited for close quarters and intermediate work. Which is great, because it seems to match your intended use.

For <100, especially <50 I'd be looking at a reflex sight (whether that's a red dot or holographic). Which one you choose depends on budget and personal preference. Aimpoints are great. The dot is nice and crisp, the battery life is unbeatable (literally thousands of hours) and very durable. EOTechs are fine. Most people like them for their reticle, which is pretty nice and fast. They're also very durable. But if it's me and I'm looking for an optic that will primarily used at the range, inside 100 yards with the ability to defend my home I'm going with Vortex 100% of the time. Either the Sparc II or the Strikefire II. The Sparc is the compact model and my preference. For half the price of the cheapest Aimpoints and EOTechs you get a very solid red dot with good durability and a bulletproof warranty. The battery life is so so, but worth the trade off in price. You don't need a military grade optic that's been through hundreds of tests and torture to put holes in paper at your local range. And if it does ever come down to fending off intruders, a Vortex is going to do perfectly.

You know who needs Aimpoints and EOTechs? Military, cops, Alaskan frontiersmen... the kinds of guys that beat the living crap out of their rifle, completely neglect them but still expect them to work. I don't know about you, but my rifles live a pretty comfy life. At the worst they get rained on and some mud rubbed into them.

If your eyesight is slipping you should definitely check out some of these optics in person. A reflex sight is going to look very blurry to a person with an astigmatism and glasses don't help much. I know from experience. If you do have an astigmatism and it's bad you're going to be stuck with some sort of etched reticle optic. Check out Vortex Spitfire 1x and Burris 132.
    --Adam

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Here's an Aimpoint for $300. Can't go wrong for that. http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=284538

(Berks County)

Green dot. The human eye supposedly picks up green more easily than red...

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Another option

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    Green dot. The human eye supposedly picks up green more easily than red...
    Green leaves, green grass, green reticles. No bueno.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    Green leaves, green grass, green reticles. No bueno.
    Quit dissin my pickle.
    Last edited by dkf; June 20th, 2015 at 11:00 AM.

Right now PSA has the Aimpoint Carbine Optic (same as PRO but without lens covers and a different mount) for $319.99 with the promo code ACO.

I'm giving the Vortex Spitfire a try, she's on the way.. I'll let you know how it turns out. If it sucks I will give the Aimpoint Pro a spin.

(Northampton County)

Tritium front sight post. Always on. At HD distances look over the rear sight not through. Bullets will go where you want.

(Butler County)

Just put a vortex strkefire ll on my stag and im happy with it. At 50 yds it will bang 6 & 8" steel all day.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast