Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: AR15 Optic Choice

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Another option

I relish that optic!

(Wayne County)

=The Field Sport RD-D002RG. Its $21.95 on amazon and combat ready. It has 5 reticles for maximum tactical advantage in all weather and light conditions. It is built to withstand the recoil of a firearm slightly better than the aformentioned pickle.

If you are on a budget I recommend the Elcan spectre. It's a canadian made sight that does some crazy ass stuff and autotargets your bullets while playing mp3s or even 8 tracks. It also comes with a free denim outfit for operators only. Comes in at around $2200.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Splittiebus66; June 13th, 2015 at 12:42 PM.
    I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

Any experience/thoughts on the Bushnell AR optics line? A friends I bumped into today said that he has one and likes it - but I'm not sure how much he shoots with it. Anyone heard much about these? http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Zone-...ct_top?ie=UTF8

(York County)

Op,

What do you plan on using your rifle for? 200 yard target shooting? Coyote hunting at dusk? Putting holes in targets at a 50 yard shooting range?

What are the specs on your rifle? Any issues with astigmatism in your eyes? Have you used any other optics and what we're your likes and dislikes of those?

I have or have had EOTechs, Aimpoints, Bushnell's, Vortex. I could recommend any of them... But each had pluses and minuses. None of them we the end ask be all of optics.
    Last edited by hss.strat; June 14th, 2015 at 02:20 PM.
    --Adam

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Aimpoint Pro's can be found used for $350 if you keep your eyes open. There's one on Craigslist in Erie right now. http://erie.craigslist.org/spo/5068388728.html

The Vortex Strikefire is a pretty good substitute for the Aimpoint. I've found that the sight picture is pretty good and it holds its zero, although the controls suck compared to the Aimpoint.

One great thing about the Aimpoint is battery life. For my HD rifle, I leave it on all the time. You can't do that with an Eotech or Vortex. No fumbling in the dark, under pressure, to turn on your sight - just grab & go.
    +1

This is why I went with an Aimpoint Pro for my defensive AR. Had this been simply a range plinker I would have went with either a Vortex or a Primary Arms. I got mine for $366 shipped about 2 years ago but sub $400 deals new still come along. Check out slickguns.com for good deals.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

Quote Originally Posted by hss.strat View Post
    Op,

What do you plan on using your rifle for? 200 yard target shooting? Coyote hunting at dusk? Putting holes in targets at a 50 yard shooting range?

What are the specs on your rifle? Any issues with astigmatism in your eyes? Have you used any other optics and what we're your likes and dislikes of those?

I have or have had EOTechs, Aimpoints, Bushnell's, Vortex. I could recommend any of them... But each had pluses and minuses. None of them we the end ask be all of optics.
    Sorry for the delayed response, had a busy few days. As for the rifle use – I suppose it’s primarily a home defense/SHTF rifle. But I obviously will be shooting it for fun as much as possible and practicing, and hopefully never using it for any more than that. I don’t have any good places to shoot more than 50-100 yards, less than 50 on my own property usually, so I’d say the rifle will primarily be close range home defense that daylights as a target shooter out to 50 yards.

Specs as far as? It’s a 1/7 twist, 5.56/223, 16’’,etc. What specifics do you mean?

I do need glasses, not sure about any astigmatism (haven’t been to the eye doctor in 15 years) – but that can be fixed (eventually). The only other optics I am familiar with are regular scopes. I don’t have any extensive red dot/reflex/quick acquisition optic experience.

Nothing is faster than an eotech sans point-shooting.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Tioga County)

So far I like Eotech but am open to trying others out. I think the Eotech works for just about any situation you are likely to encounter in Pennsylvania.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    Nothing is faster than an eotech sans point-shooting.
    Pretty fast at going back to L3. I had Dan Lelko on speed dial there for a bit! Oh I kid.........

I'll probably end up with an Xps eothing one day.

I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

(Lancaster County)

Eotechs work even better if you put them on correctly instead of backwards.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast