Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default New Yorker loses challenge re licensing

A Kings County (Brooklyn, NY) Judge denied a Defendant's motion to dismiss a possession of handgun charge. The defendant claimed he had a right to bear arms outside his home (he was in a Chinese restaurant), but New York's licensing requirements unconstitutionally denied him a right to carry. The Court relied on the dicta in Heller that reasonable restrictions still apply. Copy of decision attached from the NYLJ (new York LAw Journal) 7/22/08.
    Attached Files Attached Files

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: New Yorker loses challenge re licensing

Ah yes.... "reasonable."

Truly subjective, what is reasonable for one person may seem completely insane to another.

"Reasonable" rent in NYC is into the thousands of dollars per month. In Mt. Carmel, PA you can buy a house for what some people in NYC pay for rent in 8 months. What's reasonable???
    "The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government-and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." (Edward Abbey, "The Right to Arms," Abbey's Road [New York, 1979])
    I have my rifle. Do you?

(Bucks County)

The SCOTUS/Heller decision was a total cop out and I predict not much will change. They left huge gray areas in place, most likely to appease the SCOTUS dissenters.

(Adams County)

There are many, or there was, different pistol licensing in NYC.
    I had one for over 20years. There is Residence, Business, Employment, Target/Hunting, CCW. A person must show true cause for the permit.
    Actually, owning a restaurant, chinese or otherwise, in a high crime area
    is a cause. But they were more like 'behind the coiunter type then a personal carry.
    But that was long ago and I'm sure Mr. Bloomburg has put his anti-gun fingers into the situation.

~HAPPY LIVING IN PA.~
    Bill----------------------------->
    NRA - LIFE / ENDOWMENT MEMBER
    LIFE MEMBER - VIETNAM VETERANS AMERICA
    U.S.NAVY SEAWOLVES - VIETNAM 69/70

Quote Originally Posted by wewo View Post
    A Kings County (Brooklyn, NY) Judge denied a Defendant's motion to dismiss a possession of handgun charge. The defendant claimed he had a right to bear arms outside his home (he was in a Chinese restaurant), but New York's licensing requirements unconstitutionally denied him a right to carry. The Court relied on the dicta in Heller that reasonable restrictions still apply. Copy of decision attached from the NYLJ (new York LAw Journal) 7/22/08.
    I really that's a summation of the opinion/order, but wouldn't that be really shitty if they just took the SCOTUS dicta and tried to apply that as law?

Isn't the idea of court that they go through the precedent and show how they built up to the notion that something was or was not okay? Sweeping all that away with a "Scalia decided to make a point that was not pertinent to the issue at hand to 'balance' the fact he was kinda-sorta upholding the second amendment" and using that as a basis of law...is disgusting.

(Lancaster County)

As I always say, May Issue is the new Separate But Equal. That is its effect and its intention.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent