Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default S&W Governor Issues, Locked up while firing, possible internal lock issues

Picked up a used S&W Governor today, on my 9th round the gun completely locked up on me, couldn't open the cylinder, cock the hammer, or pull the trigger. Not exaclty something I like to see on I gun I am considering using for self defense. Luckily I know someone who is a S&W armorer, so I took it up to him so he could take a look at it. He seemed to think that it was and issue with the cylinder pin being loose, so we disassembled the gun. Even disassembled we were unable to open the cylinder, and eventually we were able to tap it open with a mallet. Come to find out that the cylinder pin was fine, so we have no clue why it locked up. We reassembled the gun without issue, and I fired a few test shots out of it before heading home... fine. I was doing a good thorough cleaning and noticed that the internal lock was sticking up very slightly, and I mean very very very slightly. So I took out my key and locked it up. Then when I went to unlock it, the flag didn't return to the down position, I had to manually push it down with my finger. I proceeded to shake the shit out of the gun while holding it upside down to see if I could get the lock to engage inadvertently, and it didn't. I've tried locking and unlocking it multiple times and have gotten the same results (I'm pretty sure the return spring on the lock is either broken, or not engaged correctly). Now I'm beginning to think that the lock could have possibly become inadvertently engaged while I was firing, and that's what locked the hammer and trigger up, but it wouldn't explain the cylinder. Regardless I'm going to see if I can have it torn apart again tomorrow, and solve the internal lock issue. But I've pretty much made my mind up on if this is going to be a self defense gun or not. Has anyone had issues similar to this? Also, is it common for the springs to break on the S&W internal locks? Any information, advice, recommendations, or any of that good jazz will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Default Re: S&W Governor Issues, Locked up while firing, possible internal lock issues

I am not all that familiar with the Gov but I do know that Smith and wesson has placed a cylinder lock on their revolvers as described earlier. Out of all of the places to put it, they chose on the sideplate next to the cylinder release. Many will agree it is an eyesore.

Most will argue the lock makes no difference in reliability, but there have been cases of the lock engaging under recoil. There is a 686 video on YouTube where it happens as the guy is shooting.

A revolver is supposed to be simple and reliable, the lock takes away some of that reliability. Follow the S&W forums and you will find that lock bothers many collectors.

Well it looks like you know why it was on the used rack, If it were mine it would be on the 1st Fedex truck back to S&W in the morning.

(Berks County)

Default Re: S&W Governor Issues, Locked up while firing, possible internal lock issues

If you send it back, do it now. They take vacation in the summer and nothing gets done. The back orders pile up hard. I think its July. Sounds like the I.L. Like your thinking. You can plug the hole if you remove it.

I had a new 629 lock up on me , it was before they but on the internal lock.
    Luckly it was after I fired the 6th round.
    Or I would not have been able to unload it.
    I sent it back to smith with a letter asking what was the deal with this gun "it had broke before and this was not the first trip back to them"
    They fixed it but never replied.
    Don't know what the deal was/is.

(Berks County)

Most times a smith won't open it's the ejector rod unscrewing. Cylinder not turning its the I/L if trigger is locked also. Just the most common. You can get bullets to pull out under recoil and bind, bent rod that makes he cylinder hit the barrel in some spots. A not fitted star and hand. Dirt under the star. I had a model 29 whith a primer fail to light the powder. It jammed the bullet into the barrel and unburnt powder everywhere including under the star extractor. Had to hammer it open. Needed more crimp on that hand load.

(Centre County)

After dissembling the gun again this evening I noticed that the spring was indeed out of it's slot. I didn't get a change to test fire it though. I'm almost completely convinced that it was an issue with the ammo I was shooting, and not the gun. If there is anything wrong with the gun, it is improper headspaceing on one of the chambers, but I doubt that is the case. I've heard plenty of talk about people having issues with the internal lock on the S&W's but not real proof, and I'm certain that is not the issue that I had with mine. That being said. What is some good .410 ammo I can use in a governor that will not try to blow out and lock the gun up?

Winchester PDX makes a load specifically designed for the Judge/Gov pistols.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Winchester PDX makes a load specifically designed for the Judge/Gov pistols.
    I bought a box, ran 3 of them and 3 .45 Colt for my first 6 shot. It was a fiochhi 9 shot low brass that blew out on me. Any birdshot that you know of made for them?

(Philadelphia County)

Stories about the lock locking up a S&W revolver are a bit disconcerting for many despite it's rarity. Heard a story from a freind that his lady friend had it happen with a .38 Spl snubnose. It's exactly why many have sworn off new S&W revolvers. Every so often a rumor will pop up that S&W will stop adding the locks to their revolvers, but nothing ever comes of it. There are one or two S&W snubnose revolvers currently in production that lack a lock. If S&W knows it's enough of an issue that they don't put it on two self-defense revolvers, why do they put it on everything else?

(Dauphin County)

I am a supporter of all American Firearm manufacturers. Smiths are great revolvers, but I have sold all but one of my Smith revolvers and will sell the last one someday also. I will NEVER purchase one with the internal lock...it is the absolute dumbest firearm design/concept I know of and it make a beautiful revolver absolutely FUGLY. Doesn't mean I won't buy a model 29-2 or 586 some day, or a 3rd Gen in 10MM but there are too many Ruger and Dan Wesson revolvers that I would prefer over just about any Smith Revolver at this point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast