Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Taurus M85 Poly Protector

Anybody have any input on this revolver? I'm weary of Taurus, but I heard their .38 revolvers aren't too bad and their customer service is good.

Default Re: Taurus M85 Poly Protector

Model 85s have a good reputation actually. I'd rather get a metal frame, but there are a lot of members on here with the UltraLite version. I'm sure they're chime in.

I'll probably pick one up at some point too.

I like Taurus to a point and don't consider myself a bandwagon hater.
    I have owned a number of Taurus .... Taurui?
    Anyhow , I do have a policy that I stay away from any Taurus that is out of the normal , or large bore as their .454.
    My reasoning is , they sometimes have a hard time getting the bread and butter stuff right.
    And anything else must really tax their QA department.
    I would view their poly gun in the "out of the norm" area.
    Now their snub 85CH I have no problems with.

(Cumberland County)

I have always been skeptical of Taurus since my first semi (PT 145 ) stopped going bang after 50 rounds or so - lol. But I have always enjoyed their revolvers along with feeling ok about their 1911 and 92 model semi's. I have two poly protectors and both have been great but I have not put a ton of rounds through them. They are lightweight, very accurate, and smooth. Only negative I have is the cylinder release is a little rough - took my daughter a long time just to become able to swing the cylinder out - not a smooth release - but nothing too crazy. Got great deals on both of mine. Good luck.
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Cumberland County)

Not sure what you are looking at price wise - but Buds has them for $289 - fyi.
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Chester County)

Thanks for the info, guys. I'm also looking at the standard non polymer m85s too.

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    Not sure what you are looking at price wise - but Buds has them for $289 - fyi.
    Yup, that's what I was looking at. I don't know if it is a good risk or to spend a little more and get a s&w. I really wish used s&w 36s we're still $300 or less.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    Thanks for the info, guys. I'm also looking at the standard non polymer m85s too.

Yup, that's what I was looking at. I don't know if it is a good risk or to spend a little more and get a s&w. I really wish used s&w 36s we're still $300 or less.
    I don't think I'd use it as a primary carry gun. I always want my carry guns to be quality w/o doubt - lives depend on it For target, one of the "around the house" guns, trunk gun etc. no worries, but just my 2 cents - not worth much !
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

Taurus has come a long way especially the last 2 and a half years with production, QC, and warranty/repair customer service. I have owned several Taurus auto's and revolvers and they all ran well. My most recent is the TCP 738 .380 as a BUG which has ran like a top. I did send it back into Taurus because it was ejecting the casings back into my face this is a common issue and not hard to fix with a bit of ejector/extractor work but since I was going away for a few weeks and wouldn't be using the pistol I sent it in for repair to test their waters. No hassles getting to them they paid the freight I got it back 10 day's later before it even showed in repair status with what was done as well as a polished feed ramp, and soothed trigger.

If the revolver feels right in your hand and for the price Buds has it for I would go for it. Like any other carry pistol put at least 200 rounds minimum half being your preferred carry load through it and then make a decision from there. My brother has a PT92 with well over 10k rounds on it that he uses in one of his beginner pistol classes for years. I am a Glock guy as he is but if that's the only gun we had in the house we both would trust our lives too it.

Recently picked up a Newer Taurus 85 Ultralite blue,+ P rated and improvements in the cam trigger action ,very smooth DA can stage easily,accurate,shoots point of aim,and paid $259 from Palmetto State Armory ! A very good revolver for th IWB or belt holster,you wont even know your CCW ! JMO/MDT