Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Need some advice for a friend of our family about a dog issue

Quote Originally Posted by Gunplummer View Post
    Maybe, but just who did the shepherds bite? Time for another study: What dog attacks their owner the most? Over the years I had a couple Ferrets people gave me because they had kids. Smart move. Some ferrets are set off by the high pitched noise and squealing kids make. I would venture to say a lot of pitbulls are the same way, judging by the attacks on kids around here.

Pit bulls aren't set off by specific noises, like all aggressive or giant breed dogs they need proper training.

In cases like this what most do have are irresponsible owners who fail to see the natural characteristics in their pets, terrible breeding lines, and a lack of training.

(Venango County)

There's a 'Dangerous Dog' law. It spells out what steps the owner must take to keep the dog.
    I'd ask the local PD or Dog Warden to look into it for you.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by spankey View Post
    Thanks for the time all. Great advice! I have three boxers and know friends with pits and they're all very loving animals.
    +rep for a fellow boxer owner There's a never a dull moment with boxers in the house - what a bunch of clowns! Haha

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Cops typically shoot dogs.
    Total horse shit.

I had this same situation with the old neighbors who thankfully moved out. They had two pitbulls that always fought with each other and barked at our dog when he was out. Our yard is fenced but theirs was NOT. When we were in the front yard, their dogs would come out of their unfenced back yard and into the front by us. They were also drunks who did not really care about dog training so I never trusted the dogs.

Definitely go GL's route since it seems you have a warden that doesn't care about your safety. If you're in fear, don't hesitate to protect yourself and family.

I wouldn't step outside of the house without carrying if I were them. I'd stay off their property so the dogs never feel the need to "defend" it. If the dogs are on your property, that violation is on your neighbors. Aside from the leash laws, they're likely guilty of not licensing the dogs too based on their attitudes about training and the aggression. So don't hesitate to do what you need to do, especially with children involved.
    Last edited by alpacaheat; June 3rd, 2015 at 10:25 AM.

(Washington County)

I have a 2 year old pitbull now and she is the sweetest dog I may have ever met. Just wants to give kisses non stop. What a shame those people can't train their dogs.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    I have always had giant breed dogs from Police quality German Shepard's to Cane Corso's all capable of ripping most people apart. When I purchased my 1st home and found out we were having a baby I hired the best in home dog trainer I could find and had him train me on how to train dogs. It was the best $2k I ever spent since the knowledge will be with me for a lifetime of owning dogs.
    Sorry but I have to ask...... What is a police quality shepherd and who is the breeder? Who was the trainer you hired for 2K?

(Carbon County)

My brother-in-law used to raise Pits for shows. He did this since he was a kid and probably before half of the people on this forum knew what a Pitbull was. He told me the breed was being ruined by kennels constantly breeding the most aggressive dogs together because that is what people wanted. Add all the cross breeds into the mix and what do you get? The news stories always start out with "I can't understand it. He was always such a sweet dog with the family". You cannot "Train" wildness out of an animal. When I walk my dog over in the State Park, I have a 5-6 foot walking stick with the one end sharpened.

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    Sorry but I have to ask...... What is a police quality shepherd and who is the breeder? Who was the trainer you hired for 2K?

Professional breeders who are worth their salt will list the temperament of dog they breed when it comes to Shepard's, Rottweilers, Cane Corsos and Dobermans many will list them as Family quality or police/guard quality, the difference between the two is the temperament bread into the dog. Family dog's should have all aggressive lines bread out of their line over time, Police quality not so much. They have to have aggressiveness but also have excellent obedience skills. There is a crap ton of information on the net about this and the dogs that are selected for police duty many of which come from Germany. The same goes for therapy and seeing eye dogs cretin characteristics are breed in the blood lines and very few dogs can make the cut.

Here's the trainer I used for my Cane Corso he came highly recommended and has worked with police dpts and at one timed trained guard and attack dogs. When you get his serviced for any type of dog you will not be getting the leash training and sit and stay commands you can learn at pet smart for $100.00. By the time I was finished training my Cane Corso that 120lb 5 month old dog wouldn't move an inch unless I said so or freed her from all commands.

http://www.championk9.com/

As far as the German Shepard I would have to ask my father he purchased it and raised it from a PUP it came to him on a plane he used the above service to train him and it was one of the largest shepherds I have ever seen truly intimidating. I see a gentleman at the recycling center every week or so in my current area that breeds and trains both family and police/guard quality Shepard's I can get his information next time I run into him.

http://www.romancanecorso.com/
    Here is where I purchased my Cane Corso if you are not familiar with the breed(most people aren't) they are extremely large and were originally bread by the Romans to fight lions for entertainment. They are beautiful dogs but are very powerful being they can weigh easily up to 150 + there would be little most people could do especially children if it were to attack. The breeder only breeds family quality all aggression has been bread out over the generations however anyone purchasing this type of dog has to have respect for what it is and what it can potentially do that is why the advanced training is required. Did it need to be at the level I have did it at maybe not but I have little ones and wasn't taking any chances.

Late update:
    Saw the local guy at the recycling center.

K9-union importers
    There is a facebook page as well as some Youtube videos.
    http://website.informer.com/k9union.com
    Last edited by Hodgie; June 3rd, 2015 at 12:48 PM.

(Tioga County)

Years ago I owned a German Shepard She weighed 120 lbs when she was 2. I bought her from a friend. He had the papers to show she came from good stock. In fact the grand dame of the dog was a champion in obedience trials. Well behaved, good with children and very protective of the family and property. she loved to play with a little 5 year old girl down the street. That kid got her face "washed" more times than I can recall. She did nail a thief in my yard one night when we were out to the drive-in movie. Do you remember drive in movies?
    USNRET '61-'81

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast