Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Smile Forget stainless steel pins

I found that the smallest amount of stainless steel pins comes in a 2 pound package plus S&H, then you have to wait for them. I went down to my garage, grabbed an old piece of Romex, 12/2 with ground about 6 feet long. Skinned it and stripped it and then cut the copper into 3/8 to 5/8 inch pieces, give or take. That yielded 12 ounces of copper which I threw into my ''el cheap o'' Chinese tumbler, along with 125 pieces of brass, Dawn dish soap and lemon shine. An hour later, give or take, they look like they just came out of the factory. Totally amazed me, inside and out, plus the flash whole looked like new. There were a few chrome cases, and I could actually see my reflection on the inside of the case. I took some pictures for you guys, but as hard as I tried, I couldn't get them uploaded. Joe

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Forget stainless steel pins

EXACTLY!

Necessity is the mother of invention.

I go nuts when I read about folks throwing good money at every device made to do the same job I've been doing for decades.

My pistol brass rarely gets that filthy but for some muddy range pickup I throw in some spent .22. Works perfect for the .357 and .45 I load and if I ever desire to get the insides of the calibers they do not fit I'll use your method.

Good thinking!

(Lee FCD?, good Lord!)

fritz
    Last edited by fritz1919; May 30th, 2015 at 09:45 AM.
    Obama. AYFKM?! / Pravda vit'azi.

(Clarion County)

Good job. Being a cheap, I mean frugal loader myself it's satisfying to find other solutions. Know a fellow who says small stainless nails work well. Found pins at a local shop that broke down a large order. Want my brass clean but shiny helps when trying to find them after firing.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by fritz1919 View Post
    EXACTLY!

Necessity is the mother of invention.

I go nuts when I read about folks throwing good money at every device made to do the same job I've been doing for decades.

My pistol brass rarely gets that filthy but for some muddy range pickup I throw in some spent .22. Works perfect for the .357 and .45 I load and if I ever desire to get the insides of the calibers they do not fit I'll use your method.

Good thinking!

(Lee FCD?, good Lord!)

fritz
    Necessity sure is! I've used coarse sawdust and chips before in a pinch.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

What would happen if you thru half a handfull if sand in it? Yes you would need to rinse it extremely well and to be safe probably even deprime it first. But I would bet it would get them glowing in 1/4 of the time (or MUCH less, maybe 5-10 min?).

(Washington County)

Were you tumbling wet or dry?
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Allegheny County)

Wet.

(Berks County)

Why pins? What's wrong with walnut shells and corn cob? I only recently heard of pins.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Why pins? What's wrong with walnut shells and corn cob? I only recently heard of pins.
    Wet tumbling with pins gets the brass spotless clean, primer pockets too. I get why it is popular but it is too much for me. If I get muddy cruddy range brass I'll wash in soap/water/vinegar and then spread on a towel to dry. Then tumble. But brass doesn't have to be spotless and squeaky clean.

(Allegheny County)

I like the idea of something softer than stainless steel rubbing against the brass cases.Never tried the stainless pins.I somehow imagine the cases being very slowly worn down,to disappearance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast