Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Sticky situation

Hello everyone,

I had bought a Rueger .22 rifle 4 years ago in California. When I moved out of state, I left the gun with a friend. I never had a chance to claim the gun from him. After talking with him a few months ago, he informed me that he had given it to a friend. I don't know what to do at this point and don't want this gun to get me in trouble. Could anyone offer me some advice on this sticky situation.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Sticky situation

A question first.... Did you gift it to your friend or was it on loan to him?

If the gun was loaned with the intention of you reclaiming it in the future, then your friend had no buisness giving it to someone else. Have your friend get it back.

If he doesn't or can't, then perhaps you should comment about filing a stolen property report with the police. That may make them more cooperative. Afterall you are supposed to report lost or stolen guns.

If that doesn't work then I'd actually file the report. Do you still have your receipt from it's purchase? That will help.

Just my 2 cents.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Philadelphia County)

It was him holding on to it as a favor with the assumption of getting it back. I no longer want the gun and wish to have this settled without getting my friend in trouble. Is there a way to transfer the gun without me going back to Claifornia? If not, I assume the only option is for him to ship the gun back to me, but what is the process in that? I do not have any records of owning the gun.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    A question first.... Did you gift it to your friend or was it on loan to him?

If the gun was loaned with the intention of you reclaiming it in the future, then your friend had no buisness giving it to someone else. Have your friend get it back.

If he doesn't or can't, then perhaps you should comment about filing a stolen property report with the police. That may make them more cooperative. Afterall you are supposed to report lost or stolen guns.

If that doesn't work then I'd actually file the report. Do you still have your receipt from it's purchase? That will help.

Just my 2 cents.
    I Agree! If this firearm is connected to you, (dk138) your name, in anyway, you should do whatever it take to clear up the situation.
    In todays world you must always cover your ass legally. I don't think this is a big deal. Some forms some the States concerned and you can wash your hands of the problem.

~GOOD LUCK~
    Bill-------------------->
    NRA - LIFE / ENDOWMENT MEMBER
    LIFE MEMBER - VIETNAM VETERANS AMERICA
    U.S.NAVY SEAWOLVES - VIETNAM 69/70

I would say you run into a significant, although not insurmountable, issue in trying to receive the gun in PA.

How does a person reconcile what is essentially a 'transfer' from a non-owner of the gun, even if the purpose is just to return a lost or stolen firearm?

That all becomes on record. I bet Cali has some of its very own special rules about sending guns away, although it's not as if everything is automatically reported and the ATF is out to get everyone they can.

Just mostly everyone.

I don't suggest you commit any crimes, but criminals still use USPS for all kinds of criminal enterprise, which means honest people can use the same (illegitimate) means. We would like for you to reobtain your firearm legally. If that comes at the expense of being forced to travel to CA, you would need to weigh out all of your options. I can hope and imagine this thread will reach some good commentary on how best to go about reacquisition.
    Last edited by pex; July 21st, 2008 at 05:05 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Mkay...

On a whim, I called the Los Angeles BATFE (818) 265-2500 and spoke with Inspector Barrent. Here is what she said

1) California has no registry, so the rifle doesn't need to be there.
    2) The only thing you need to do is have the rifle transferred at a CA FFL. CA has a provision about making sure prohibited people are not in possession. My suggestion would be this:

Call the guy you gave the rifle to. Have him contact the person that has possession of the rifle. Get that person to call you. Find out if he wants to keep the gun. If he does, you (dk138) pony up the money for the FFL paperwork, find out the name of a dealer in the area and make the transfer.

If the guy who has the rifle doesn't want it, have him take it to an FFL and legally transfer it to you. You pay the shipping & transfer fees, get the gun and turn around and sell it.

If he doesn't want to take legal possession, and he won't transfer it to you, then call the local police and ask them what to do.

Peace is the the first choice of a wise man; superior firepower a close second. ~ Me

(Philadelphia County)

I have yet to receive a phone call back from the person I left the gun with, or the guy the friend gave the gun too. I'm starting to think I might have to file a police report....

(Mifflin County)

Depending on how long it's been since they called. You need to file a report.
    This gun is attached to your name.
    Remember in God we trust all others pay cash.
    Audaces fortuna juvat

(Philadelphia County)

UPDATE>

Things are not going so well. Tell me what you think about these emails.

From me:

Not to be a dick, but like I've said, I need to have this rifle situation taken care of. I need you to give me Scotts number or get the rifle back from Scott to send to me. If you or Scott don't want to legally take possession of the rifle and won't give it back to me, I have to report the gun stolen. This has been advised by the local ATF agent. Please get back to me ASAP.

His reply:
    i will do my best to get the info you need when i have time.... and i did not like your email... i dont have it nore do i know where it is ... so when i find his number i will email it to u and your on your own... good bye and have a nice life

WTF!

Doesn't sound like the guy is really a friend..."not to be a dick," but make sure next time you leave a gun with someone, you know you can trust them to take care of them and not hand them out like candy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast