Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default H.R.986 - Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2015

For argument sake...

Not wanting to get in the issue's whether it is legal or not. We shouldn't need this, blah, blah.

Let's say it doe's make it through and becomes law.

WHO will be willing to start carrying in NY/NJ/MD.

I don't have the financial means to defend myself as the proverbial "test subject" (I work in NY). I live in the PA/NY/NJ triangle. My wife likes to jump the borders to go shopping in Newton, Middletown. I feel that I would still leave my balls at home due to the financial constraint. My mortgage is paid off, have college to pay for time's 3. 2 in college, 1 to go.

So who would throw caution to the wind and just go do it? Whatever happens, happens mentality?

(Chester County)

Default Re: H.R.986 - Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2015

I myself do not spend much time in NY/NJ but this would be great for other states I visit quite frequently that do not recognize PA permits! I would definitely help me with Nevada
    “Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons”-GOA.M

I still would not risk carrying in NJ or NY. You might have legal permission to carry but the cops and their attitudes aren't changing with the law. NJ especially.

Maryland...probably the same scenario but I've heard the cops aren't arresting many people lately down there.

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=283347

(Lackawanna County)

I wouldn't be the first to try it but it really makes a get home bag possible for me having to work in jersey

I'm going to toss this out there (as a NY resident) I understand the NY bashing, I really do, but do always feel the need to defend my state as much as logically possible (yes there is some room to do so). If something like this was to pass I would be confident that 90% of the state would honor the new law. Many people not from this state, and ones from this state, believe that it is just like New Jersey. The only issues that might come up would be in NYC and a few small patches such as Ithaca. But as an educated guess I would say that 90% of the state is not anti-gun. Many areas are not difficult to get a license for a handgun other than it costs way to much and they make you wait way to long, thats a different argument all together. I even received a letter that stated that my carry gun does not need to be concealed when in public they just highly recommend it. The only reason we are screwed when it comes to many of our rights is the fact that 45-49% of the population lives in NYC.

as for the not needing to conceal I have inadvertently tested this claim on a few occasions, when i am out on the motorcycle my shirt tends to ride up exposing my G17 and have had a police car follow me for a good two or three blocks never pulled me over just went on with his day when we parted ways. I have even had the issue where my shirt has come up leaving me pretty much open carrying when i get out of my car and with out thinking i have gone into a few stores, not so much as a single weird look or a MWAG call, im pretty sure most people didnt even notice it or if they did they didnt care

(Lehigh County)

I'll have to read up on this before I consider carrying anywhere out of state. I only carry here in PA. We visit St. Michaels MD several times a year which means going through PA, DE, MD. No need to go through Jersey which is fine by me. Whenever we make these trips, I leave all guns at home in the safe.

Sgree10, you make some very good points. I'm just sick and tired of any politicians (I don't care who they are) getting in our way on gun rights. Seems to me the Constitution should trump everything else. Judging by what I see on Twitter, more states are stepping up to enact legislation that makes it easier to legally carry. That's good to see. It would be great if NY, NJ, and MD would wise up and follow suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Champagne Lady View Post

Sgree10, you make some very good points. I'm just sick and tired of any politicians (I don't care who they are) getting in our way on gun rights. Seems to me the Constitution should trump everything else. Judging by what I see on Twitter, more states are stepping up to enact legislation that makes it easier to legally carry. That's good to see. It would be great if NY, NJ, and MD would wise up and follow suit.
    i agree with you about the politicians (its one of the few things i hate about my state) but the county i live in lucked out and we have an amazing sheriff who ran for Lt. Gov last election who before he even put in his bid (could argue it was to gain support but i think he was just sick of everything with the UNsafe Act, he was even personally called in to Cuomo's office and told by Cuomo he needs to stop publicly speaking out about the safe act when it first happened and he walked out of the office and told everyone what the governor told him and that his response was he does not agree with the act and he does not work for the Governor but for the people) He changed the whole counties policy of "may issue" to almost "shall issue" and unlike many other counties that only give out restricted licenses he said that was not happening and all future licenses will be unrestricted only unless the person applying wanted something different.

(Delaware County)

Will this bill really help us out in states like NJ, MD, etc? Would it not be likely that those states that already issue almost no permits would suddenly change their laws to eliminate them entirely - which would make this bill not applicable (at least the way Im reading it). What say you?

2/13/2015--Introduced.<br /> Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2015<br /> <br /> Amends the federal criminal code to authorize a person who is not prohibited from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm under federal law, and who is carrying a valid, government-issued identification document containing that person's photograph and a valid permit issued by any state to carry a concealed firearm, to possess or carry a concealed handgun (other than a machine gun or destructive device) in any other state that permits residents to carry a concealed firearm, in accordance with the restrictions of that state. Makes presentation of facially valid documents prima facie evidence that the individual has a license or permit as required.

(Lackawanna County)

Devil's Advocate here...

Where are all the people who yell "state rights" and "nullification" when it comes to the Feds extending gun control?

Couldn't anti-gun states such as NJ and California just use these same arguments against national carry?

BTW, I specifically did not list NY with NJ and CA because I agree with the previous poster. The majority places in NY are gun friendly. The state is just controlled by the populace of NYC...which is anti-gun.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Democrat Gun Owner View Post
    Devil's Advocate here...

Where are all the people who yell "state rights" and "nullification" when it comes to the Feds extending gun control?

Couldn't anti-gun states such as NJ and California just use these same arguments against national carry?

BTW, I specifically did not list NY with NJ and CA because I agree with the previous poster. The majority places in NY are gun friendly. The state is just controlled by the populace of NYC...which is anti-gun.
    What does states rights have to do with the Constitution? Name any other right that I have, that I must beg some other state to honor?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast