Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default 3x9 scope or go with a 4x12

I have a dpms ar-15 shoots both 223 and 5.56 I use it alot for ground hog hunting. Right now I have the p223 3x9x40 on it from nikon. Just the other night when I was out I ranged a ground hog at 346 yards. My question is with me doing some far shooting such as that 346 yards swould I be better off switching to the Nikon 4x12x40? I tend to keep my scopes on the highest power that way I know what I'm shooting at and not just wounding the animal if that makes sense. Please give me some of your opinions on if I should keep my 3x9 or swap it for the 4x12.

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: 3x9 scope or go with a 4x12

Before discussing scopes I would say you have a problem admitting to an illegal activity in PA. You can not hunt anything with an ar in PA at all.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by taltland27 View Post
    I have a dpms ar-15 shoots both 223 and 5.56 I use it alot for ground hog hunting. Right now I have the p223 3x9x40 on it from nikon. Just the other night when I was out I ranged a ground hog at 346 yards. My question is with me doing some far shooting such as that 346 yards swould I be better off switching to the Nikon 4x12x40? I tend to keep my scopes on the highest power that way I know what I'm shooting at and not just wounding the animal if that makes sense. Please give me some of your opinions on if I should keep my 3x9 or swap it for the 4x12.
    The last I knew you were not allowed to use an AR-15 to hunt with in PA.

(York County)

Yes you are correct but where I hunt there all private farms

(York County)

Granted I still shouldn't do it but all I'm looking for is scope info forget its on an ar what magnification would you use?

(Westmoreland County)

Granted I still shouldn't do it but all I'm looking for is scope info forget its on an ar what magnification would you use?
    I'd go with the higher power scope for groundhogs. I'd also consider putting it on a bolt gun. I fully support being able to use semiautomatics for hunting. Until that changes I'll stay within the guidelines of game law.

(Jefferson County)

Yes you are correct but where I hunt there all private farms
    That doesn't matter if the species is a natural wild game animal.

The only way it could be done in PA is if the landowners completely segregated the land after driving off all natural critters and introduced their own farmed animals. To do that with groundhog they would have had to trenched 20ft plus deep all the way around and put in a barrier to keep native natural critters out.

The ban on semi-autos for hunting applies on private property just as it does on public, with exception for those hunting farms where the native wildlife is completely driven off, and what you kill is just stocked animals. Doing such with groundhogs is practically impossible.

So, I'm calling bull crap if this is in PA.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
    I'd go with the higher power scope for groundhogs. I'd also consider putting it on a bolt gun. I fully support being able to use semiautomatics for hunting. Until that changes I'll stay within the guidelines of game law.
    Ok thanks for the response

(Chester County)

OK, so we switch the discussion to a bolt gun, say a CZ 527 carbine in .223. For me the cartridge, while pretty flexible, I'd stick to ranges more suited for a 3-9, but others do push the distances. It really depends on what you are comfortable with, and the condition/age of your eyes.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    OK, so we switch the discussion to a bolt gun, say a CZ 527 carbine in .223. For me the cartridge, while pretty flexible, I'd stick to ranges more suited for a 3-9, but others do push the distances. It really depends on what you are comfortable with, and the condition/age of your eyes.
    I'm 24 so my eyes aren't in that bad of shape buy the farm I hunt has a hill in the middle and if j sit in the gill I can look on both sides of me and range it and its roughly 400-450 yards the ground hog I ranged was 350 yards out if I have my scope set dead on I'd be comfortable taking a 300-400 yard shot as long as I have that extra magnification to see where I'm shooting and be able to see the animal I'm shooting very good

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast