(Allegheny County)

Default Help me choose

Hi all,

Trying to choose between the following rifles

AK-74 - with ultimak gas block and M2 reticle 5.45X39
    AK-47 - with ultimak gas block and M2 reticle 7.62X39
    CDD DM4LE with Eotech 552 5.56 NATO

My decision process is as follows:
    The above rifles have proven to be very reliable so for all intents and purposes - reliability is not a real issue.

These rifles will be for SHTF, Freedom Preservation, and lastly fun. This will be my battle rifle should the time come.

1. of the 3 rounds, which is better at overcoming armor?
    2. of the 3 rounds, which is better at short to medium contact distance in regards to dropping someone.
    3. clearly accuracy will go the m4gery, but will accuracy be super noticeable at distances 200 yards and under?
    4. During a crisis, which caliber will be the most available? (I am thinking 5.56 NATO)
    5. Which rifle will allow faster well aimed rapid fire?
    6. If choosing a combloc weapon, what manufacturer produces the best rifles respective to cost (sub 450)

Lastly, which one would you want if facing a well armed occupying force while utilizing a guerrilla warfare approach?

I am torn between these 3, mainly between the 74 and the CDD DM4LE (~1K - about the 3rd best AR build I can find after the Colt 6920, and the LMT)

Any thoughts, assistant and expertise greatly appreciated.
    Voluntary transactions are the only moral kind.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Help me choose

IMHO,

As you suspected, the 5.56 AR is a great choice. Tactikewl add-ons aside, the parts availability no matter what is what's gonna count in the long run.

If you want an AK, then as always, choose a 7.62x39 AK. This round is securely entrenched in the USA now, and so like the 5.56 - will always be available somewhere.

Since the domestic mfg of 5.45x39 ammo hasn't yet taken off, once the short-term splurge of surplus 5.45x39 ammo gets shot up and/or ammowhoreded away - you'll be SOL.

Bottem line; get the 7.62 AK, given that 100% pure domestic AK production does not yet exist, these will become expensive and harder to find when the inevitable happens to foreign parts supplies. Yes, they will STILL be available, but again - just not as affordably as they are today.

Meanwhile, the home-grown AR platform is widely available and always will be.