Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Moving out of state, Does my PA permit automatically become invalid?

So I recently moved from Pittsburgh to Charlotte and am planning on going to the DMV tomorrow to switch my license over. Will doing so invalidate my PA conceal carry permit? I ask because I have to wait a month to apply for an NC permit and would like to carry with my PA permit reciprocity. Any info would be appreciated. thanks

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Moving out of state, Does my PA permit automatically become invalid?

Quote Originally Posted by dusty78 View Post
    So I recently moved from Pittsburgh to Charlotte and am planning on going to the DMV tomorrow to switch my license over. Will doing so invalidate my PA conceal carry permit? I ask because I have to wait a month to apply for an NC permit and would like to carry with my PA permit reciprocity. Any info would be appreciated. thanks
    No, it does not become invalid automatically. However if your issuing sheriff becomes aware that you are no longer eligible for issuance (as a non-PA resident you won't be eligible to be issued a PA permit until you got your new state's permit) he is required to revoke your current PA permit. So don't notify him of the change of address until you have your new state's permit in hand, if at all.

(There's no obligation to notify of a change of address, it's just a good idea. But wait until you have your new state's permit.)
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Moving out of state, Does my PA permit automatically become invalid?

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    No, it does not become invalid automatically. However if your issuing sheriff becomes aware that you are no longer eligible for issuance (as a non-PA resident you won't be eligible to be issued a PA permit until you got your new state's permit) he is required to revoke your current PA permit. So don't notify him of the change of address until you have your new state's permit in hand, if at all.

(There's no obligation to notify of a change of address, it's just a good idea. But wait until you have your new state's permit.)
    Quoted for the truth ^^^^^
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post

that was not my experience. i notified the sheriff when i moved and they marked me down to remind them not to send me a renewal letter. it was their opinion that my license would remain valid but that did not help me in moving to a state (like pa, wv, etc) that nullifies other states' carry permits if you do not hold a permit in their state.
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by gummy jones View Post
    that was not my experience. i notified the sheriff when i moved and they marked me down to remind them not to send me a renewal letter. it was their opinion that my license would remain valid but that did not help me in moving to a state (like pa, wv, etc) that nullifies other states' carry permits if you do not hold a permit in their state.
    The sheriff is still required by law to send you a renewal application, there's nothing that removes that statutory requirement if you move out of state.

And the sheriff is required by law to revoke your PA license upon becoming aware that you are not eligible to be issued a license. Holding a home-state license is a prerequisite to being issued a PA license as a non-PA license.

I can look up the relevant statutes later if you like, I can't right at the moment. It takes longer for me now that Dan eliminated the PAFOA reference library.

(Jefferson County)

18 Pa.C.S.A. § 6109
    § 6109. Licenses

(e) Issuance of license.--
    (1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license. A license shall not be issued to any of the following:
    (i) An individual whose character and reputation is such that the individual would be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety.
    (ii) An individual who has been convicted of an offense under the act of April 14, 1972 (P.L. 233, No. 64), known as The Controlled Substance, Drug, Device and Cosmetic Act.1
    (iii) An individual convicted of a crime enumerated in section 6105.
    (iv) An individual who, within the past ten years, has been adjudicated delinquent for a crime enumerated in section 6105 or for an offense under The Controlled Substance, Drug, Device and Cosmetic Act.
    (v) An individual who is not of sound mind or who has ever been committed to a mental institution.
    (vi) An individual who is addicted to or is an unlawful user of marijuana or a stimulant, depressant or narcotic drug.
    (vii) An individual who is a habitual drunkard.
    (viii) An individual who is charged with or has been convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year except as provided for in section 6123 (relating to waiver of disability or pardons).
    (ix) A resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury under 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(19) (relating to definitions).
    (x) An alien who is illegally in the United States.
    (xi) An individual who has been discharged from the armed forces of the United States under dishonorable conditions.
    (xii) An individual who is a fugitive from justice. This subparagraph does not apply to an individual whose fugitive status is based upon nonmoving or moving summary offense under Title 75 (relating to vehicles).
    (xiii) An individual who is otherwise prohibited from possessing, using, manufacturing, controlling, purchasing, selling or transferring a firearm as provided by section 6105.
    (xiv) An individual who is prohibited from possessing or acquiring a firearm under the statutes of the United States.

(i) Revocation.--A license to carry firearms may be revoked by the issuing authority for good cause. A license to carry firearms shall be revoked by the issuing authority for any reason stated in subsection (e)(1) which occurs during the term of the permit. Notice of revocation shall be in writing and shall state the specific reason for revocation. Notice shall be sent by certified mail to the individual whose license is revoked, and, at that time, notice shall also be provided to the Pennsylvania State Police by electronic means, including e-mail or facsimile transmission, that the license is no longer valid. An individual whose license is revoked shall surrender the license to the issuing authority within five days of receipt of the notice. An individual whose license is revoked may appeal to the court of common pleas for the judicial district in which the individual resides. An individual who violates this section commits a summary offense.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Not invalid, just useless.

Here's a good resource for reciprocity for a PA out-of-state license.

Just click on the state you want to see.

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_ca...city_maps.html

PA:

Permit(s) Honored In:
    Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Permit(s) Not Honored In:
    California, Connecticut, Delaware, Guam, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, New York City, Oregon, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Virgin Islands, Washington, American Samoa, District of Columbia, N. Mariana Islands

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by alpacaheat View Post
    Not invalid, just useless.

Here's a good resource for reciprocity for a PA out-of-state license.

Just click on the state you want to see.

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_ca...city_maps.html

PA:

Permit(s) Honored In:
    Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Permit(s) Not Honored In:
    California, Connecticut, Delaware, Guam, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, New York City, Oregon, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Virgin Islands, Washington, American Samoa, District of Columbia, N. Mariana Islands
    Not useless at all. Still valid for concealed carry and vehicle carry in PA. Still required by federal law for carrying within 1,000' of a primary or secondary school in PA, even after obtaining his new state's license.