Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Selling/Trading fathers handgun?

Howdy all! I did a search but couldn't find anything on this issue specifically.

My father gave me a Taurus 709 Slim a few years ago that he had won at a gun bash. He's a lefty and can't shoot a right handed pistol very well.

He had just given it to me and the gun is in his name as the buyer still. I am not a big fan of the gun and am in the market for a pocket .380. I know that it is legal for me to poses the gun but my question goes a step beyond that.

My question is... Can I sell or trade the firearm in to an FFL without him or will he need to be there as well? He wouldn't care but it is rough to align both of our schedules so I wanted to check on the laws before I start to nag him.

Thanks all for your replies in advance!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Selling/Trading fathers handgun?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Fly View Post
    Howdy all! I did a search but couldn't find anything on this issue specifically.

My father gave me a Taurus 709 Slim a few years ago that he had won at a gun bash. He's a lefty and can't shoot a right handed pistol very well.

He had just given it to me and the gun is in his name as the buyer still. I am not a big fan of the gun and am in the market for a pocket .380. I know that it is legal for me to poses the gun but my question goes a step beyond that.

My question is... Can I sell or trade the firearm in to an FFL without him or will he need to be there as well? He wouldn't care but it is rough to align both of our schedules so I wanted to check on the laws before I start to nag him.

Thanks all for your replies in advance!
    As long as you were both PA residents when he gave you the pistol, and you aren't prohibited, the pistol is yours, and you can sell it as you wish. Parent to child in-state transfers do not require a FFL.

(Allegheny County)

We both were (at the time he gave it to me) and still are PA residents.

That's how I thought it would work but I wanted to confirm with the brilliant people on the PAFOA!

Thank you!

(Allegheny County)

Also I am in no way prohibited from buying a gun of any type and I have a valid LTCF.

Just for the record

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by t1066 View Post
    As long as you were both PA residents when he gave you the pistol, and you aren't prohibited, the pistol is yours, and you can sell it as you wish. Parent to child in-state transfers do not require a FFL.
    ^^ This ^^ Also, if you do sell the pistol to an individual, remember that you need to go through an FFL for the transfer.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post
    ^^ This ^^ Also, if you do sell the pistol to an individual, remember that you need to go through an FFL for the transfer.
    Yes, I am aware of that (not so minor) detail but I appreciate the reminder anyway!