Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Indiana County)

Default I Felt Naked Yesterday

So I had to make a day trip to Branchville, New Jersey and couldn't carry like I normally do. Nope, no guns or ammunition anywhere near the car for the journey into Enemy Territory. It felt strange.

But, on my way back, I did notice a gun shop and had to stop in, just to see what a New Jersey gun shop looked like. Everything was behind glass shelves or doors, both handguns and ammunition. Rifles were on the wall, behind the counter, and the dealer was not armed (which is optional, anywhere, even in Pennsylvania). No rifles or shotguns on racks out on the floor, no shelves of ammunition readily available. He did mention that all the guns had a fifteen-round limit. I pointed out one merely had to cross the border to Pennsylvania to get a thirty-round magazine and he stated that such would be a felony.

I informed the sales clerk I was from Pennsylvania and had heard rumors that gun shops existed in New Jersey. He essentially apologized for New Jersey, as if he knew I was secretly laughing at his situation (being in New Jersey). But, before leaving, I gave him a Pa. Open Carry flyer.

I was glad to get back to Free America.

And today, when I went shopping with my wife, I was no longer naked.

Default Re: I Felt Naked Yesterday

Ive been there, I know how you feel. I can breathe now....

(Bucks County)

did you ask to hold a firearm?
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    So I had to make a day trip to Branchville, New Jersey and couldn't carry like I normally do. Nope, no guns or ammunition anywhere near the car for the journey into Enemy Territory. It felt strange.

But, on my way back, I did notice a gun shop and had to stop in, just to see what a New Jersey gun shop looked like. Everything was behind glass shelves or doors, both handguns and ammunition. Rifles were on the wall, behind the counter, and the dealer was not armed (which is optional, anywhere, even in Pennsylvania). No rifles or shotguns on racks out on the floor, no shelves of ammunition readily available. He did mention that all the guns had a fifteen-round limit. I pointed out one merely had to cross the border to Pennsylvania to get a thirty-round magazine and he stated that such would be a felony.

I informed the sales clerk I was from Pennsylvania and had heard rumors that gun shops existed in New Jersey. He essentially apologized for New Jersey, as if he knew I was secretly laughing at his situation (being in New Jersey). But, before leaving, I gave him a Pa. Open Carry flyer.

I was glad to get back to Free America.

And today, when I went shopping with my wife, I was no longer naked.
    This is how I feel every day since my Job is on "that" side of the river....
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    This is how I feel every day since my Job is on "that" side of the river....
    Yes, my job brings me into NJ often as well. And my folks (my daughter's grandparents) live in NJ, so weekends there feel especially queasy.

What's even more disconcerting is the whole mindset in NJ, especially that of LEO's in NJ. I know not ALL NJ LEO's are anti-2nd Amendment, but many of them think VERY differently of armed citizens. Guns are, on the whole, illegal. For many NJ folks and LEOs, that phrase 'armed citizen' is like 'unicorn' or 'tooth fairy', since there are no such thing as armed citizens, only armed criminals.

(Washington County)

I was in the PRNJ to visit my BIL for four days. I had not been back for fifteen years. I also stopped in a gun store in Bayville and they were amazed by the freedom we have in PA.

I got home yesterday and the first thing I did was open the safe and let my carry piece out.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    Yes, my job brings me into NJ often as well. And my folks (my daughter's grandparents) live in NJ, so weekends there feel especially queasy.

What's even more disconcerting is the whole mindset in NJ, especially that of LEO's in NJ. I know not ALL NJ LEO's are anti-2nd Amendment, but many of them think VERY differently of armed citizens. Guns are, on the whole, illegal. For many NJ folks and LEOs, that phrase 'armed citizen' is like 'unicorn' or 'tooth fairy', since there are no such thing as armed citizens, only armed criminals.
    Truth.... Most of the people I work with wouldn't even consider owning a gun even if it were legal....
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by BobGun View Post
    I was in the PRNJ to visit my BIL for four days. I had not been back for fifteen years. I also stopped in a gun store in Bayville and they were amazed by the freedom we have in PA.

I got home yesterday and the first thing I did was open the safe and let my carry piece out.
    where, in the hell, is there a gun shop in Bayville?
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

(Wayne County)

I had to go to Flemington, NJ last weekend for family obligations. All I had on me worth anything was a Dajo Ascent pocket knife with < 2.5" blade. The kids laugh because I have a (pretend) seizure every time I pass the middle of the Delaware River heading eastbound. Me and the girls cheer when we cross back over into PA.

Quite frankly, I just feel nervous the whole time that I'm there. Mostly bcause I never know if I had one stinking round of hollowpoint ammo fall on the floor or if the small axe or machete that I keep in my truck box with all the other seasonal/weather related, get-home gear is going to put me into felony land if pulled over.

A person shouldn't have to fear being arrested for possessing common tools.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    I had to go to Flemington, NJ last weekend for family obligations. All I had on me worth anything was a Dajo Ascent pocket knife with < 2.5" blade. The kids laugh because I have a (pretend) seizure every time I pass the middle of the Delaware River heading eastbound. Me and the girls cheer when we cross back over into PA.

Quite frankly, I just feel nervous the whole time that I'm there. Mostly bcause I never know if I had one stinking round of hollowpoint ammo fall on the floor or if the small axe or machete that I keep in my truck box with all the other seasonal/weather related, get-home gear is going to put me into felony land if pulled over.

A person shouldn't have to fear being arrested for possessing common tools.
    That pretend seizure is a pretty funny thing. I think I'll have to start doing something like that (or maybe a fake coronary event, a la Sanford and Son---holding the chest, 'This is the big one!') as I cross into NJ or MD.

In most parts of NJ, a good tactical flashlight and a Buck 112 / 110 type folder is still 'acceptable', and will probably get one through the day. The scary part, like I said, is the thought of encountering LEO's who might as well be from a different planet, and who are accustomed to treating citizens more like subjects.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast