Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Is this an abuse of Police authority? Registration Tracking

Quote Originally Posted by wa3ra View Post
    Without using illegal means, basic footwork for any detective.

He knows the dizzy the gun went to. Calls (or even knows the distributor) and says Hi, I'm Detective Whadafuqsdafourth from the Nameless, FL PD. Can you check to see where SNXXXXXXXXXX went?

Call recipient of said sale; rinse and repeat the original procedure.

Just keep chasing the 4473s until you find the end user.

Most of our bound books are on software. Takes all of then seconds to run a number, and it isn't privileged information.

The seller can answer, or wait for a warrant...either way...the info is available.
    I don't know how other shops work, but if I get a call from Joe public looking for disposition of a certain serial # Joe gets politely told to pound sand- we do not give that info out.

If the police come looking for it, they better have a really interesting tale attached to the request, or a subpoena/warrant. If an out of state officer called, he would not get any info. He would have to send one of the locals over, see above.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    I don't know how other shops work, but if I get a call from Joe public looking for disposition of a certain serial # Joe gets politely told to pound sand- we do not give that info out.

If the police come looking for it, they better have a really interesting tale attached to the request, or a subpoena/warrant. If an out of state officer called, he would not get any info. He would have to send one of the locals over, see above.
    This +1

I would not do business with any FFL that just gives the information on the purchase records out to just anyone who just calls looking for it regardless of their title or authority.

I consider my firearm purchases personal. Unless I show it off or talk about it my firearm purchases are no ones business but mine.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bellerophon View Post
    This +1

I would not do business with any FFL that just gives the information on the purchase records out to just anyone who just calls looking for it regardless of their title or authority.

I consider my firearm purchases personal. Unless I show it off or talk about it my firearm purchases are no ones business but mine.
    I compare something like this to an employer giving out information about your income to strangers. Or your health providers, doctors, or pharmacists providing strangers with a list of medications you are on. Personal information in the wrong hands is dangerous and could be setting you up to become a victim.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    1. You cannot prove that the detective used PA's RoS info to find out if you bought the gun. What I theorize is that the detective called the distributor, who then if you bought directly from them, or from a dealer thereafter, they gave him the info off the 4473 form or bound book - which IS NOT confidential.

2. If the PSP gave the info from the RoS or a PA FFL gave up the info from a PSP SP4-113 - then their would be a breech of confidentiality.

You have no case.

You have the options of:
    A: ignoring things
    B: maybe making a sale to the detective
    C: starting a lawsuit that you'll probably lose

I agree. If the Detective used "legitimate" means to find a firearm, then I might be inclined to arrange a deal with him. I would emphasize that I was a bit uncomfortable being "Forward Traced" but understand sentimental value of a firearm, especially one that has been your constant companion for many years on the job.

I see no harm in exchanging a firearm for one of like kind.

I don't like the idea of someone else minding my business.
    Last edited by GeneCC; May 21st, 2015 at 07:42 PM.

(Lackawanna County)

I compare something like this to an employer giving out information about your income to strangers. Or your health providers, doctors, or pharmacists providing strangers with a list of medications you are on. Personal information in the wrong hands is dangerous and could be setting you up to become a victim.
    Yes, but they are all illegal....that 4473, while it should be protected, isn't. See, the police like to make things easy for themselves.

You aren't seeing my BB without a warrant...unless you're my ATF agent...but a good detective can get info and you don't even realize you gave it away.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234