Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Wayne County)

Default Transportation of long guns in PA.

I know to transport a handgun it must be unloaded in the trunk and you have to be going somewhere specific such as the range, gun store, home, etc. but what about a long gun?
    For example, if I had a shotgun or even an AR15 unloaded in the trunk going to the range, on my way to the range I stop for gas, for the restroom, or even to Walmart to buy some groceries, would this be considered legal?

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Transportation of long guns in PA.

Nothing is required to be carried in the trunk. I have no idea here people come up with this.

You are correct that a person, lacking a license to carry firearms can only transport an UNLOADED firearm to and from certain locations.

An unloaded long gun can be kept anywhere in the vehicle and can be carried unloaded anywhere you care to go, provided there are other legal restrictions such as no firearms allowed, etc.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Nothing is required to be carried in the trunk. I have no idea here people come up with this.

You are correct that a person, lacking a license to carry firearms can only transport an UNLOADED firearm to and from certain locations.

An unloaded long gun can be kept anywhere in the vehicle and can be carried unloaded anywhere you care to go, provided there are other legal restrictions such as no firearms allowed, etc.
    It probably stems from confusion with the FOPA's requirement to store a firearm in a location inaccessible to the driver while transporting under that law's aegis. FOPA presumably is not relevant in the OP's case but I think that may be where the idea of a trunk requirement comes from.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Indiana County)

If I go to the range with my carbine, it usually rests comfortably on the back seat of the Jeep while the ammunition hides in the range bag. No big deal.

(Lancaster County)

The OP doesn't mention if he has an LTCF or not.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    The OP doesn't mention if he has an LTCF or not.
    no, no LTCF

(Delaware County)

So I can keep my M4 in my truck at all times unloaded

(Jefferson County)

Long guns must be unloaded, and if they use detachable magazines - any loaded magazines suitable for the guns that are present must be in a separate container. NO license required.

Since you are in Delaware County, you are very close to Philadelphia.. ...which if you stumbled into Philly domain, or during any Declared State of Emergency, you would need a LTCF.

Loose or or boxed ammo does not need to be separate. Just that there is NO ammo in the chamber(s) or in a non-detachable magazine. If it uses detachable magazines, see top paragraph.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Long guns must be unloaded, and if they use detachable magazines - any loaded magazines suitable for the guns that are present must be in a separate container. NO license required.

Since you are in Delaware County, you are very close to Philadelphia.. ...which if you stumbled into Philly domain, or during any Declared State of Emergency, you would need a LTCF.

Loose or or boxed ammo does not need to be separate. Just that there is NO ammo in the chamber(s) or in a non-detachable magazine. If it uses detachable magazines, see top paragraph.
    The mag pounces on some of the tactical rifle cases are considered separate compartments. This seems to be the most common way to have a close to ready rifle in your vehicle.

The other option would be a SBR and a LTCF. In reality a 14.5" rifle with a non pinned flash hider would be a SBR and with a LTCF you could carry it loaded.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion