Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default non-resident LTCF address change ???

I currently have my non-resident LTCF in PA and i am moving to a new place on June 1st (sadly not to PA so i already know what everyone will say in regards to that) but my questions are, do i have to drive down to the county that i was issued the LTCF, or can that be done at a different office if closer. and my second question is any idea how long of a grace period before that needs to be done, (immediately, or say 6 months like a PA LTCF renewal??) thanks for any info

Default Re: non-resident LTCF address change ???

The PA statutes say nothing about address changes on LTCFs. The usual advice is to notify the sheriff who issued it of your new address, for his records.

Then when it's time to renew, of course your new address will be used then.

No need to have the address on your actual LTCF changed. Of course some PA sheriffs have their own ideas about anything LTCF-related. Which county issued yours?

(Jefferson County)

There is no legal means or requirement to change the address on your LTCF. If anything, it poses hazards which can cause you issues later.

PA has no proper means to change your address. For them to do so they have to revoke your current license so that they can issue you a new one.

So, just call up the office that issued it to you and let them know you moved so that you can get your renewal notice to the new address. DO NOT make it an issue to get your LTCF's address changed.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

thanks for the info

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    There is no legal means or requirement to change the address on your LTCF. If anything, it poses hazards which can cause you issues later.

PA has no proper means to change your address. For them to do so they have to revoke your current license so that they can issue you a new one.

So, just call up the office that issued it to you and let them know you moved so that you can get your renewal notice to the new address. DO NOT make it an issue to get your LTCF's address changed.
    can you detail some of the hazards?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    can you detail some of the hazards?
    Some states have a disqualifier, or a requirement the at you explain, any revocations of carry licenses.

If PA has to revoke a license in order to re-issue you a replacement or address change - that could affect your application in other states should you apply for a non-resident, or some day move there and apply for a resident license.

If we never get Constitutional Carry, we should at least fix that aspect of PA law so that there is a proper and legal means to do address changes, or even replacements for lost licenses.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Very interesting. The sherriff who issued mine re-issued it twice for address changes, through the mail. He never said anything about revoking it when he did so. So now I wonder if he did - twice.

(Chester County)

Another issue not addressed occurs if the OP moved to a different state than the one he resided in when he got the Pa LTCF.

If so, he must have a CCW from his new state of residence. If he doesn't and then notifies the sheriff of his new address there is an affirmative duty on the sheriff to revoke the LTCF. Whether the sheriff properly performs that duty is another matter.
    IANAL