Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default 45LC DA revolvers; what's available ?

I'm content with my Taurus Judge and using it for 45LC.
    But it really is not very accurate. With the 3" cylinder; the bullet has a ways to go before it reaches the barrel.
    My Pietta 1873 SAA in 45LC is a lot more accurate.

So the S&W model 25; Model 25 - S&W Classics - 6 1/2" - Blue; has been been on my wish for a couple of years now.

Is that the only currently produced 45LC DA revolver on the market ?

Other than a S&W Model 25 or a 454 Casull revolver; such as a Ruger Super Redhawk.
    Are there any other currently produced 45LC DA revolvers ?

Thanks;
    --ET

(Chester County)

Default Re: 45LC DA revolvers; what's available ?

I think the Colt can hook you right up.

http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Revolvers.aspx
    Last edited by JenniferG; May 12th, 2015 at 12:19 AM.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Allegheny County)

Ruger Redhawk in 45LC
    Ruger SuperRedhawk in 454/45LC
    S&W X-Frame in 45LC, 454/45LC, or 460/454/45LC (the 45LC-only model may be from last year's product line )
    Taurus Raging Bull in 454/45LC

and maybe Korth??? Although, even if they do offer a model in 45LC, 5K for a revolver is waaay to rich for my blood.

(Westmoreland County)

The S&W Model 25 or Model 625 are your best bet. Neither one will be a cheap date. Especially if you get into an earlier Pre-83 pinned example. However they are, even in the newer lock series the best out there. Well balanced and smooth actions. I have two Model 25-5s, One each 4 inch and 6 inch barrel. Either one will outshoot my Colt SAA and that one is pretty accurate as well. Though I suspect that has more to do with handling that any inherent accuracy qualities.

The Ruger Redhawk Series , while well made and very strong revolvers; are a bit overly massive and heavy for the .45 Colt cartridge.

The Colt SA Army Series revolvers are as fine as you can get. The Uberti/Beretta copies are excellent as well. But you were interested in the DA revolver options as you already have an SA Colt copy by Pietta.
    Last edited by ScotsGuards; May 12th, 2015 at 08:40 AM.

If you don't confine yourself to current production, the S&W's are the most prolific.

Just a word of caution about the 25-5 iteration: The early 25-5's were made with the chamber throats bored to pre-war dimensions, while the barrels were made to post-war dimensions. I had an early 4" 25-5 (purchased new) that had chamber throats that measured .456" - .458". It was fond of putting bullets through the target sideways (those that even hit the target).

Rule of thumb says that you are probably OK if the barrel is not pinned, but you should measure any 25-5. Simple matter of taking a .452" bullet and seeing how easily it passes through the throat (from the front of the cylinder). There should be some resistance. If it drops through entirely unimpeded - run away.

There were many Model 25's and 625's made in .45 Colt, other than the -5's, so look around. All N-frame Smiths seem to be bringing premium prices these days and some of the .45C models are very desirable so are at the higher end of the n-frame price range. I was looking for a Model 25-9 in the flat black finish w/unfluted cylinder, when I found the gun shown below.

Here is my Model 25-13 Mountain Gun (MG's use the slimmer, tapered barrel). It is a .45C, but I've had it machined for moon clips (TK Custom) so now it can shoot .45 C loaded singly, with speedloaders or moon clips, as well as .45 ACP in moon clips. Very versatile. It is wearing VZ G-10 grips and a Burris Fast Fire III on an Allchin mount.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Jefferson County)

Taurus made a K-frame sized 5 shot DA revolver years ago. ...the model 450.

Note though, you CANNOT shoot hot loads in it though. The forcing cone is rather thin, much like other K/L frame sized bigbores.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    If you don't confine yourself to current production, the S&W's are the most prolific.
    I've got to agree. I picked up this Performance Center 25-10 a couple of years ago. It was one of my grail guns.

(Westmoreland County)

Several of the 454 Casull models I was looking into were the Ruger Alaskans and the Taurus Raging Bull series. One of the Alaskans is available with a 5" barrel and the Raging Bull series seem to have a variety of barrel lengths.
    I forgot how much I missed the slang from the 70's and 80's: "Bite me, dig?"

(Chester County)

Ooops, missed the DA part. You can't go wrong with a Redhawk
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Montgomery County)

What other caliber is closest to the 45LC and what is the attraction of 45LC anyway?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast