Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Newbie here. My Pike Cnty LTCF experience...

Hi all:

Been lurking around here for several months and moved to Pike a little over a month ago from, you guessed it, NJ. Please don’t hold that against me <grin>. Happy to be in PA now and be a part of the site. After all, joining a firearms group while living in NJ is pointless.

Figured I’d quickly outline my experience with the LTCF process here. Went to the sheriff’s office in Milford after getting my PA DL (an all day affair), walked in and they took my pic and collected $5.00. I had filled out the app and provided 2 friends contact info, both from NJ, no problem there. The clerk, Carol I think, was very nice and mentioned I’d get a letter in 2 weeks. I was the only one there and in and out in 5 mins.

Fast fwd to this week and I get the form letter (generic “Dear Licensee”), back down to the SO with a money order for $14.00 and $1.00 in cash. Carol again, she prints out the paper card laminates it and off I go. Easy as that. Though the form letter made it sound as tho they were doing me the biggest favor ever by granting me the privilege of CC’ing. BTW they never called either reference.

So, that’s my tale. Thanks to all of the posters here as I have learned many things while perusing the various boards, but especially the masters of the universe that I see over and over again. Valuable info indeed.

As for open carrying… I don’t kno. LOTS of NJ and NY folks in town as we are very close to those states. I can see “issues” there. Maybe I’ll give it a try sometime.

Thanks all for reading and see u around. Be safe…
    Your life as it has been, is over...

(Berks County)

Default Re: Newbie here. My Pike Cnty LTCF experience...

30 min. In berks, one trip other then that same deal. Should be the same the whole state. Look for a carry seminar from Phil Kline or Joshua Prince to learn what is what. Get some good personal protection traing also. You'll enjoy both and it's an eye opener. Good luck. Welcome to pa.

(Delaware County)

Welcome to PA and the PAFOA. Enjoy being free.

(Pike County)

Thanks guys! And yes, I plan to take the NRA basic pistol course in Sterling, PA I think it is held. I hope the sheriff would be pleased that I am taking this privilege seriously and doing the right thing.
    Your life as it has been, is over...

(Lackawanna County)

My husband used to work in Milford a couple of years ago. Aside from one two people giving him funny looks, he's never had a problem carrying openly. If people from across the border don't like it...fuck em.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by UnimatrixZero View Post
    Thanks guys! And yes, I plan to take the NRA basic pistol course in Sterling, PA I think it is held. I hope the sheriff would be pleased that I am taking this privilege seriously and doing the right thing.
    It's been turned into a privilege sort of by needing a license to conceal. The Pa constitution has citizens right to keep and bear arms as does the us constitution so try calling it a right. Clear your mind of that Jersy communism and bathe in the glorious light of liberty in free America. go get you some hollow points and normal capacity mags.

(Pike County)

Same here UZ, been lurking around here for a few months. Moved here 3 yrs ago from Long Island. Born and raised in Wisconsin though.

Mrs. Carol is pleasant, met Sheriff Bueke when I was there also. Same scenario as you, received my letter about six days later (the wife's was the same). Lost my wallet in January had to wait again, surprised that they didn't just call PICS and reissue my LTCF. Have my UT, AZ, and FL also.

Just an FYI for everybody else, Pike Cty Sheriff office stopped issuing Non Resident LTCF's.

And a BIG Thank You to everybody here on the forum. You all have been a Wealth of information. Lot of absorbing to do.

As far as OC'ing, never had an issue in Milford. Some days OC, some CC. Some comment's from out of town visitor's at Turkey Hill. Not local LEO's...
    Last edited by BF750; May 7th, 2015 at 02:22 AM.

(Indiana County)

LOTS of NJ and NY folks in town as we are very close to those states. I can see “issues” there. Maybe I’ll give it a try sometime.
    But those folks are the most fun to rattle (mustn't forget the Canadians, too).

Print up a bunch of Open Carry flyers and carry them in your car's catchall box (formerly called a glove box), available here: http://forum.pafoa.org/attachment.ph...6&d=1376176424

If anyone has a question, especially from enemy territory, just hand them a flyer.

Lastly, welcome to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

(Monroe County)

I OC'd Last summer at Milfords town anniversary. Literally hundreds and hundreds maybe thousand people. Bands all over town, streets blocked off, all the shops were opened. Police were riding double because it was so crowded. Open Carried the whole day with my 13 yr old and GF. Half the people were from NY and NJ and the only thing I got all day was a few questions from a curious corrections officer from NY. Not one person said anything. Pike and Wayne county are usually pretty gun friendly.

Hi all:

Been lurking around here for several months and moved to Pike a little over a month ago from, you guessed it, NJ. Please don’t hold that against me <grin>. Happy to be in PA now and be a part of the site. After all, joining a firearms group while living in NJ is pointless.

Figured I’d quickly outline my experience with the LTCF process here. Went to the sheriff’s office in Milford after getting my PA DL (an all day affair), walked in and they took my pic and collected $5.00. I had filled out the app and provided 2 friends contact info, both from NJ, no problem there. The clerk, Carol I think, was very nice and mentioned I’d get a letter in 2 weeks. I was the only one there and in and out in 5 mins.

Fast fwd to this week and I get the form letter (generic “Dear Licensee”), back down to the SO with a money order for $14.00 and $1.00 in cash. Carol again, she prints out the paper card laminates it and off I go. Easy as that. Though the form letter made it sound as tho they were doing me the biggest favor ever by granting me the privilege of CC’ing. BTW they never called either reference.

So, that’s my tale. Thanks to all of the posters here as I have learned many things while perusing the various boards, but especially the masters of the universe that I see over and over again. Valuable info indeed.

As for open carrying… I don’t kno. LOTS of NJ and NY folks in town as we are very close to those states. I can see “issues” there. Maybe I’ll give it a try sometime.

Thanks all for reading and see u around. Be safe…

Smile Re: Newbie here. My Pike Cnty LTCF experience...

Quote Originally Posted by poconojoe View Post
    I OC'd Last summer at Milfords town anniversary. Literally hundreds and hundreds maybe thousand people. Bands all over town, streets blocked off, all the shops were opened. Police were riding double because it was so crowded. Open Carried the whole day with my 13 yr old and GF. Half the people were from NY and NJ and the only thing I got all day was a few questions from a curious corrections officer from NY. Not one person said anything. Pike and Wayne county are usually pretty gun friendly.
    Similar experience at the town anniversary,although saw about 1/2 dozen people O/C even some women.Not an issue was had and met a couple of new found friends.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast