Default Berks County LTCF Change

This will be a definite improvement.

Posted under fair use:

http://www.readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=99543

7/19/2008

Berks County sheriff enacts changes in gun permit process
    By Jason A. Kahl
    Reading Eagle

Berks County residents seeking gun permits will have to apply for them in person beginning Monday under a change enacted by the sheriff to bring the process in line with state police guidelines.

Residents had been able to mail in their gun permit applications but still had to appear in person to get the permits.

Berks County Sheriff Eric J. Weaknecht said the change should not inconvenience the tens of thousands of county residents who have gun permits, which have to be renewed every five years.

"The state police wanted us to have the person in front of us with their identification as an extra check before they run a background check," Weaknecht said.

Application forms are available in the sheriff's office and may be filled out before coming to the courthouse, Weaknecht said.

The forms also are available on the sheriff's Web site, www.co.berks.pa.us/sheriff/.

Weaknecht said that after the form is submitted, the information is sent to the state police, who check local, state and federal databases for the criminal and mental health history of the applicant.

Weaknecht said the background check is usually done quickly and the applicant should be able to leave with the new permit the same day.

In cases where the approval is delayed because state police have to manually check through records, applicants will be sent home and notified later. An example, Weaknecht said, might be an applicant who has the same name as a person with a similar birth date.

In the past, applicants mailed in their information and were called when their permits were ready. To get their permits, they had to show a driver's license or state identification.

Weaknecht said the new process ensures officials know who is applying before they conduct the background check.

Weaknecht said he also plans to open five satellite offices throughout the county to process gun permits.

He said his staff already is talking to officials from Birdsboro, Hamburg, Kutztown, Wernersville and Colebrookdale Township about using space in their municipal buildings one day a month.

"I think that these satellite offices will eliminate all that gas people use to drive into the city and save people time," Weaknecht said.

•Contact reporter Jason A. Kahl at 610-371-5024 or jkahl@readingeagle.com.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Berks County LTCF Change

Thats great!

DC

(Bucks County)

A big thumbs up to the Berks County Sheriff!

(Berks County)

We definitely have ourselves a pro gun rights sheriff here. Makes me feel good, I cast my vote for him when he got elected instead of for the guy that got fired from his position as a deputy for violating county policies in regards to emails. Sadly, he doesnt photograph well:

Last edited by mjfletcher; July 19th, 2008 at 03:06 PM.

(Berks County)

Been waiting for this to happen!!! Now it should be easier to get my wife her LTCF. YAY!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by sutehk View Post
    Been waiting for this to happen!!! Now it should be easier to get my wife her LTCF. YAY!
    Well go print out the form, fill it out, get her to sign it, and on Monday toss her over your shoulder and take her down to the sheriffs office. If she argues with you over it, just tell her "Honey, once you have your license to carry, do you think I'll ever get away with this again?" and give her a grin like our sheriff is giving lmao.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by mjfletcher View Post
    Well go print out the form, fill it out, get her to sign it, and on Monday toss her over your shoulder and take her down to the sheriffs office. If she argues with you over it, just tell her "Honey, once you have your license to carry, do you think I'll ever get away with this again?" and give her a grin like our sheriff is giving lmao.
    Love it! Repped ya.

Keith
    PAFOA PROUD!
    USMV M/C

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith4001r View Post
    Love it! Repped ya.

Keith
    PAFOA PROUD!
    Now the important question, would you ever get away with anything again?

"Where you off too?"
    "Oh, I'm just going for a walk."
    "Ok, if you need me I'll be taking target practice at the bowling ball I saw you put in the trunk earlier. Don't worry, I already got it out."