Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default NRA Basics of Personal Protection In the Home

NRA Basic Personal Protection In the Home-Langhorne Sunday, November 16, 2008, 8 AM until 6 PM

Langorne Rod and Gun Club, Inc., $150
    Barry Burton
    Club Phone 215 968 4202
    Message Drop 215 352 3094
    DocTraumaDefense@verizon.net

Use "Northampton"as the town name for GPS navigation

THIS COURSE IS A PRE_REQUISITE FOR THE NRA PERSONAL PROTECTION OUTSIDE THE HOME COURSE (NRA's version of a Concealed Carry Course)

Will instruct the Basic Knowledge Skills and Attitude to safely plan and implement a defensive strategy while protection your family in your home. RA Curriculum focuses on the Defensive Use of the Pistol, and the use of a safe room.

Class will focus on the legal aspects of personal protection (PA Lawyer will present), selection of an appropriate pistol for defense, defensive sight picture and an introduction to the flash sight picture and point shooting. Use of cover vz concealment, and the likely aftermath (legal, civil, social, psychological) of a defensive shooting.

For American citizens legally permitted to use a firearm over 21 years of age.

Basic Pistol handling skills (grip, stance, breath control, sight picture control, trigger press, follow through, loading and reloading) are pre-requisites. Suggest an NRA Basic Pistol, FIRST Steps Pistol, or equivelent. Safe Center Fire Pistol, 150 Rounds of Ammunition, and safety equipment required.

Instructor is an NRA Training Counselor.

FIRST STEPS training available upon request (one pistol, 4 hours, $50)
    See prior announcements for scheduled Basic Pistol Courses.

(Pike County)

Default Re: NRA Basics of Personal Protection In the Home

I'm interested, please e-mail me any other specifics and let me know when to send money (or collected at class) I'll tell several friends as well. BTW, do you know the driving time from Milford, Pa.
    Thanks, Hgramble
    P.S. My e-mail is hwgramble@aol.com

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by hgsw67 View Post
    I'm interested, please e-mail me any other specifics and let me know when to send money (or collected at class) I'll tell several friends as well. BTW, do you know the driving time from Milford, Pa.
    Thanks, Hgramble
    P.S. My e-mail is hwgramble@aol.com
    Mapquest gives me 110 miles /2 hr 20 min from Milford in Pike County to Langhorne.

The Personal Protection Inside The Home course is a 9 hour (min) NRA program that will review (briefly) the NRA Rules of Gun Safety (Always Keep the Muzzle in a Safe Direction, Always Keep the Finger Off the Trigger Until Ready to Shoot, Always Keep the Gun Unloaded Until Ready to Shoot) and a "check out" on basic grip, stance (Isosceles). You should present a Basic Pistol or First Pistol certificate, or equivelent, and be prepared to load and unload your firearm, and place 10 rounds in a 9" circle at 15 feet.

We discuss the need to avoid confrontation, whenever possible, by maintaining situational awareness. We remind that the use of a Firearm in a "last resort" when in imminent danger.

We discuss the usual physical, and psychological, human responses to a threat. A Lawyer will come and discuss PA Code, and the likely ramifications of a defensive shooting.

Discussion of a "safe Room" and "hardening" or planning for a response inside your home, is followed by range practice, about 98 rounds of ammo, on sight picture, sight picture variations (including flash sight picture and point shooting) defensive accuracy, verbal challenges to the threat, shooting over and around cover, reloading, moving to cover, and shooting from kneeling.

In addition to the pistol and two magazines or speed loaders plus eye and ear protection, I recommend a baseball style hat, a crew neck tee shirt and long sleeve overshirt (all to prevent hot brass from 'disturbing' you) and possible knee pads for those with sensative knees. Since you are traveling, I'd recommend a second gun (but if you tell me what caliber ammo you are bringing, 9mm or .45 acp) I can probably provide a second gun if the first fails you.

Note pads and pencils are your responsibility!

The club range has a soda and water machine ($1.25) but no provision for food, and the closest WAWA is about 15 minutes away, so bring a lunch and snacks! I'll make a pot of high test and a pot of decaf (experienced shooters know to avoid caffeine before a match).

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Pacer

(Pike County)

Hi Barry,
    Just a quick note, check sent to you for Myself and a freind. See you then and there. HG

(Bucks County)

BTT.

Getting short time on this course, and if you are interested, I need to hear from you.

Firing line limited to 10 students.

B

(Pike County)

Hi Barry,
    This is harry Gramble, Myself and Paul havee signed up for the class but have noticed very little traffic on this thread. Just wondering if the class is still scheduled or will a re-schedule be likely. If you know at this time please let us know otherwise we will be there as per time and date.
    Thanks, Harry G

(Bucks County)

Indeed, there has been little interest among PFOA members.

Prior experience has revealed a fair amount of late registrations (week of the course) so I will hold out until this coming weekend to decide if I can afford to do it for two folks.

B

(Pike County)

Hi Barry,
    This is harry again, just checking in. Is the class still on for this Sunday 11/16. Is it still only 2 people? 11/10 and we need to know if it will take place or not. Please respond here or e-mail me at hwgramble@aol.com, thanks for the update.
    Harry

(Bucks County)

Course is on!

(Pike County)

Barry & Ron
    Thanks forhe great class on 11/16. paul and i spoke about it most of the way home (and you know how long that was). Anyway hopefully there will be other classes worth taking in the future and we will see you and the guys again.
    Thanks harry g

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast