Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Pa.thru Md. to Va.

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    If I were you I would be sure the firearm is MD compliant or at least the mag, if there are mag restrictions.

Also from handgunlaws.us
    I hear there are already several 4th Amendment lawsuits from people stopped and searched on I-95 simply because they had been issued a CCW/LTCF in their home state and it popped up on the troopers plate search. If I remember right all were from Florida, and none had a firearm with them.
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Lehigh County)

Seems to me the states open themselves up to lawsuits from law abiding citizens who are @ a disadvantage for not knowing who's aware of their gun-carrying status. If a citizen with no criminal record wants to CC thru several states, I believe it's none of the state's business, as long as the weapon is kept concealed. Why make trouble with the local LEOs?

(Dauphin County)

If I were you I would be sure the firearm is MD compliant or at least the mag, if there are mag restrictions.

Also from handgunlaws.us
    It doesn't really matter whether the firearm is MD compliant, so long as he's meeting the terms of 18 U.S. Code § 926A.

18 U.S. Code § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Adams County)

Also from handgunlaws.us
    Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    I hear there are already several 4th Amendment lawsuits from people stopped and searched on I-95 simply because they had been issued a CCW/LTCF in their home state and it popped up on the troopers plate search. If I remember right all were from Florida, and none had a firearm with them.
    Was this cop doing what I thought he was? I was driving through central Maryland to attend a club dinner, and as I got off the freeway I saw a state trooper following me up the ramp. As we were stopped at the light, I watched the trooper looking down and to the right in his vehicle. Was he running my plates? Why should he be doing that? I have no bumper stickers of any kind on the car and my car actually resembles a police car. With a police car on my bumper I make sure to avoid anything to create a pretext for a stop. The only distinctive features on the car are some references to a comic character who drives a big black car. Does that give probable cause to start checking into my life?

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    ETA: based on further discussion and research (see post #6), my belief that further restrictions on vehicular OC in VA may well be erroneous.

Yes BUT I believe that there are restrictions. You can't just have it on you hip uncovered in something like an OWB holster

The prohibition:

the exception:

The VA AG weighed in with the interpretation of HB885 (2012), which added the exception above (#10.) that:

http://ag.virginia.gov/Opinions%20an...1%20Newman.pdf

BTW Pa does not consider a handgun in a vehicle rendered as "concealed". The actual prohibiting statute specifically proscribes "any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle". (18 PA CS 6106)

This would be so much easier if I just mounted a turret and M2 on the roof of the truck.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by punxsutawneypete View Post
    Was this cop doing what I thought he was? I was driving through central Maryland to attend a club dinner, and as I got off the freeway I saw a state trooper following me up the ramp. As we were stopped at the light, I watched the trooper looking down and to the right in his vehicle. Was he running my plates? Why should he be doing that? I have no bumper stickers of any kind on the car and my car actually resembles a police car. With a police car on my bumper I make sure to avoid anything to create a pretext for a stop. The only distinctive features on the car are some references to a comic character who drives a big black car. Does that give probable cause to start checking into my life?
    No probable cause is needed to run your plates.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Warren County)

If the cop has a reason to pull you over, the On-ramp is safer for him than the freeway.

And I betcha they run plates all day, just for the hell of it, hoping for a hit.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    If the cop has a reason to pull you over, the On-ramp is safer for him than the freeway.

And I betcha they run plates all day, just for the hell of it, hoping for a hit.
    You'd think they have better things to do.

(York County)

You'd think they have better things to do.
    Hell, they do that here in York. And as far as "better things to do", they do it because it pays off for them or for the municipality.

Plate scanners are big money makers.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Hell, they do that here in York. And as far as "better things to do", they do it because it pays off for them or for the municipality.

Plate scanners are big money makers.
    It still irritates me a bit. I was obeying the speed limit, signaled to get into the off ramp and stopped at the light. What made me look like a criminal he thought he had to check out?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast