Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Huh??? Savage model "Savage Shorty" suppressed rifle???

OK....since my buddy at work has done nothing but obsess over putting a suppressor on his M700....I've been doing a bit of NFA looking myself
    And I found this:

See the .pdf link here!
    http://www.wilkinsonsports.co.nz/ima...rearms%201.pdf

Hmmmm.
    A Google search of this only reveals a few legit hits in New Zealand. What's the deal with this Savage??? Is it/was it ever available in America???

I WAAAAAAAAANT one!

Is this an EXPORT ONLY model? Can it be ordered by dealers here in the U.S.????

-
    Gary in Pennsylvania
    -------------------------------
    “No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.” Eleanor Roosevelt
    “Argue For Your Limitations……And Sure Enough, They’re Yours.” Messiah's Handbook
    “The unexamined life is not worth living.” Socrates 399BC

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Huh??? Savage model "Savage Shorty" suppressed rifle???

It is nice! I wouldn't mind having one myself. I tend to shy away from integrally suppressed firearms but that one is very sweet looking.

I recently decked out a 10/22 and slapped my SWR Warlock on it. It's very frikkin' cool

Accuracy with the bull barrel is nothing short of "wow".

I need to post pics one day.

(Lackawanna County)

NICE!!!! Joe Squirrel won't even know what hit 'em!!!
    "Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!"

(Monroe County)

No clue but its pretty cool, someone gonna email Savage and ask?
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(York County)

These are made by Savage, but not Imported to the US.
    Savage Rimfires are made in Canada at the (bought out by Savage) Lakefield Arms Co. in Ontario.

Suppressors cannot be imported to the US for the common masses, only US made units can be owned.
    Wouldn't you like to know what's in my safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bowanna View Post
    Suppressors cannot be imported to the US for the common masses, only US made units can be owned.
    As the Wikipedia community would add:

[citation needed]

(York County)

Huh, I see.

Well, in 1968, with the passage of the Gun Control act.
    NFA items such as unregistered Machine guns (and Silencers) were given an amnesty (for registration). It's a long story, but, part of the deal was a ban on importation of machine guns and silencers for civilains to own.

All silencers you see for sale in the U.S. are built in the U.S. Same for machineguns up until 1986.

I don't know how much of an explanation you want, I'm sure it' in the sticky info at the top.

I'm no troll. Just a class 3 dealer killing a bit of time.
    Wouldn't you like to know what's in my safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bowanna View Post
    Huh, I see.

Well, in 1968, with the passage of the Gun Control act.
    NFA items such as unregistered Machine guns (and Silencers) were given an amnesty (for registration). It's a long story, but, part of the deal was a ban on importation of machine guns and silencers for civilains to own.

All silencers you see for sale in the U.S. are built in the U.S. Same for machineguns up until 1986.

I don't know how much of an explanation you want, I'm sure it' in the sticky info at the top.

I'm no troll. Just a class 3 dealer killing a bit of time.
    What he said.
    No, not billet martini glasses... Baffles.... EVIL Baffles

Just so you know, I would expect a standard person to believe you were still making things up. Thank you for being a dealer (if you are) and spending time providing your knowledge and expertise. This is the internet, however.

So you got this in a bulletin, or heard it from another FFL, blah blah whatever. Here's what I did.

Searched Google for "silencer importation 922"...top results didn't suit me. Searched Google for "sound suppressor importation 922"...found the following site:

http://federalist.wordpress.com/2006/06/03/can-it/

Nothing pertinent in the article...I read the comments, however, and find what apparently is a copy from an ATF FAQ. Because that's just some random person quoting it without a link, they could have made it up. There's a citation, however...

The silencer comes within the purview of the National Firearms Act (NFA). Section 5844 of Title 26, United States Code, provides that no NFA firearm (silencer) shall be imported or brought into the United States unless the importer establishes that the firearm is:
    So I search Google for "26 USC 5844"...nothing good, I try "26USC5584"...nothing at all. So I go with "22 USC", first result:

US CODE: Title 26,TITLE 26—INTERNAL REVENUE CODE
    United States Internal Revenue Code, published by Cornell University.
    www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/26/ - 10k - Cached - Similar pages
    Hit up Subtitle E on that page: "Subtitle E—Alcohol, Tobacco, and Certain Other Excise Taxes", guess that it's Chapter 53: "CHAPTER 53—MACHINE GUNS, DESTRUCTIVE DEVICES, AND CERTAIN OTHER FIREARMS", check Subchap. C: "Subchapter C—Prohibited Acts", see that the only section of statute is 5861, too high, so I go back to subchapters. I hit subchap B, Part I, and see 5844: "§ 5844. Importation".

Guess what I find?

§ 5844. Importation

No firearm shall be imported or brought into the United States or any territory under its control or jurisdiction unless the importer establishes, under regulations as may be prescribed by the Secretary, that the firearm to be imported or brought in is—
    (1) being imported or brought in for the use of the United States or any department, independent establishment, or agency thereof or any State or possession or any political subdivision thereof; or
    (2) being imported or brought in for scientific or research purposes; or
    (3) being imported or brought in solely for testing or use as a model by a registered manufacturer or solely for use as a sample by a registered importer or registered dealer;
    except that, the Secretary may permit the conditional importation or bringing in of a firearm for examination and testing in connection with classifying the firearm.
    We don't know exactly how 'firearm' is defined or if the courts have upheld this, but we can presume that firearm could include the NFA definition, which includes sound suppressors, and that the statute is probably valid without other proof. There might even be a reference in 922 somewhere that points to this.

It's my belief that we strengthen the value of information by proving it inline, and lead others to believe it is in their and everyone's best interests to do the same.

Here, maybe you're right. And with my help, you're one step more credible.

(Mercer County)

Actually you can still import machineguns as long as you have a bonded warehouse and the firearms are dealer samples only. The firearms will stay in the bonded arehouse until the ATF releases them. when the guns are in the warehouse they actually arent in the country yet. A dealer sample is supposed to be a sample for the dealers to show to law enforcement and military agencies and then possibly sell them the firearms. I know of very few dealers that actually do that with the guns but thats the way its supposed to be.
    14OO N. HERMITAGE RD, HERMITAGE,PA 724-962-1776......STOP BY AND SEE US SOME TIME

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast