Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Warren County)

Default Re: HB 1091Taking Aim at Violent Criminals – Mandatory Sentences for Felons Possessio

Catchphrases that tell me I'm dealing with a liberal nitwit

"gun violence"

"illegal guns"

"tools to combat the straw purchasers "

"mandatory minimum sentence"

"common sense gun laws"

You hear these phrases, oppose the proposal and you'll be right.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Fayette County)

Default Re: HB 1091Taking Aim at Violent Criminals – Mandatory Sentences for Felons Possessio

Quote Originally Posted by Pocketsand Operator View Post
    Not in support of any law with minimum sentences. Leave judging to the judicial branch.
    Amen!
    I wish they would make a legal distinction between felon and violent felon.
    States and the Federal government keep turning many simple misdemeanors into felonies.
    Pretty soon everybody is going to be committing a felony on occasion.

(Cumberland County)

I'm still looking for the part in the 2A where it excludes felons. If you think mandatory sentences are a good idea, just look at NJ.

(Philadelphia County)

Can't rep ya.
    So...

+1 SteelCityK9Cop.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by yukon375 View Post
    I'm still looking for the part in the 2A where it excludes felons. If you think mandatory sentences are a good idea, just look at NJ.
    Yep, once a man has served his time for his crimes he should be made whole again. If the crime was serious enough to not allow this he should spend a life behind bars or terminated. A lot of felonies have nothing to do with any sort of violence. An otherwise law abiding gun owners misses an exit and goes into NJ by accident and you become a felon.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by ideaman View Post
    I don't like the term, "....If we want to get serious about getting illegal guns off our streets...."

The guns are not illegal, it's who is holding the gun.
    Neither one. People make choices. Firearms can execute choices.

Some choices are legal.

Some choices are not legal. Our mission here is to prevent harmless choices from becoming illegal choices due to some people's personal issues.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
    Yep, once a man has served his time for his crimes he should be made whole again. If the crime was serious enough to not allow this he should spend a life behind bars or terminated. A lot of felonies have nothing to do with any sort of violence. An otherwise law abiding gun owners misses an exit and goes into NJ by accident and you become a felon.
    I agree. Today's System seems to be promoting an almost childlike sense of irresponsibility and then mandating it for most of us. The State seems to be put into the position of Parent, for our own good.

A person who cannot be allowed to own a firearm has no business driving a car, should not buy gasoline or propane, should not buy insecticides and other toxic chemicals, should not buy or own knives, hammers and wrecking bars and maybe should have special computers and cell phones which prevent them from writing malicious computer programs. At least all of these things. Like they were sent to prison, basically.

Such persons belong under custodial care, in a hospital, jail or should be exterminated. Turning them loose on the public is irresponsible.

Disarming them is either an admission that they are "out of control" or is an admission that firearms ownership is a privilege to be given or taken away.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pocketsand Operator View Post
    Not in support of any law with minimum sentences. Leave judging to the judicial branch.
    You mean people like these?

Firearms charges are the first things to go on the plea bargain chopping block. Unless of course, you are from another state and bring your gun into one of the NE people's republiks.

Violent offenses with guns should have mandatory minimum sentences.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Amen!
    I wish they would make a legal distinction between felon and violent felon.
    States and the Federal government keep turning many simple misdemeanors into felonies.
    Pretty soon everybody is going to be committing a felony on occasion.
    Sounds like victimless crimes can be converted/perverted into "crimes of violence".

Just look at the proposed legislation.....

My legislation would also designate the crime of a felon illegally possessing a firearm as a "crime of violence" triggering our second strike

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by yukon375 View Post
    It's in the Fifth Amendment: "nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law". Liberty may be deprived by due process of law. The right to keep and bear arms is part of our liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
    Agree, this is a very serious problem. Felonies ain't what they used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneCC View Post
    … A person who cannot be allowed to own a firearm has no business driving a car, should not buy gasoline or propane, should not buy insecticides and other toxic chemicals, should not buy or own knives, hammers and wrecking bars and maybe should have special computers and cell phones which prevent them from writing malicious computer programs. At least all of these things. Like they were sent to prison, basically.

Such persons belong under custodial care, in a hospital, jail or should be exterminated. Turning them loose on the public is irresponsible.

Disarming them is either an admission that they are "out of control" or is an admission that firearms ownership is a privilege to be given or taken away.
    Pretty much agreed, I've said essentially the same thing here before (as I'm sure have you and others before me, I'm not trying to take credit for originating the idea).

Quote Originally Posted by GeneCC View Post
    Sounds like victimless crimes can be converted/perverted into "crimes of violence".

Just look at the proposed legislation.....
    Yeah, that struck me too. It's Orwellian, redefining a victimless crime to a "crime of violence".
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12