Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Completed Break-in Period on Kahr CW380

Recently picked up a Kahr CW380 for summer carry. I did some research and noted there were many posts about issues as well as problems with having a break-in period. There were as many positive posts about this weapon, so I decided to go for it.

I really like the feel of this gun. It feels like a big gun, just shrunk down in size if that makes any sense. There's a lot of great information on the Kahr forum, including sticky's about cleaning and the break-in period.

200+ rounds later, I'm a happy camper. Great trigger, very accurate- very useable sights, even for my older eyes. Disappears in my pocket (with Concealment Specialties pocket holster). I also picked up a Don Hume IWB (off Kahr's website for $30) so it's super easy to carry, no matter what. My break-in also included using the extended magazine as well as the standard one that comes with the gun.

I used a variety of FMJ's; all worked fine. for JHP's, I pretty much stuck to Hornady Critical Defense FTX. Tried using Federal Hydra-shok Law Enforcement and they would not feed, cycle, nothing. No way, no how.

I did have a few FTF's, FTE's during the early part of the break-in, but they resolved themselves as the round count increased.

This little pistol will carry great during the summer and as a deeper concealment than my SR9C other times.

Smile Re: Completed Break-in Period on Kahr CW380

Congrats on your 380 ! I have friends who describe you need to do about 200 rounds to have a dependable Kahr and after the break in period no issues.Pretty much stands for any firearm you wish to ccw for self defense,to make sure it is broken in and functional.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Completed Break-in Period on Kahr CW380

Congrats! If you do your own reloading you can save a big chunk on practice ammo.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Allegheny County)

Even if a firearm does not a have a documented break in I still want to know its reliable and will not carry it until several hundred rounds of a mix of range and carry ammo have been shot through it.

My Kahr CW9 went through its 200 rounds with no flaws. A mix of brass and steel FMJ and Remington Golden Saber.

I did not experience any failures even with shooting the firearm at odd angles and intentional limp wristing.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

The P/cw380 are excellent little carry pieces you should have no issues with yours. A lot of the little pocker .380's are ammo picky and many do not like anything with a stubby flat nose bullet like WWB.

Regarding the FTX I would highly recommend not carrying that ammunition. The FTX bullet is a horrid performer and for the life of me I cannot figure out why Hornday has not discontinued since the XTP is an excellent performer in all calibers.

Precision one makes an excellent performing .380 round using the XTP bullet that actually out performs Hornday's offerings with the same XTP. The nice thing about Precision one is they charge about the same amount as the other premium manufactures do but give you 50 round boxes as opposed to 20 or 25.

FTX FBI style testing with piss poor results.

Precision one XTP FBI testing results.

Lehigh XP Xtreme Penetrator Excellent winter carry .380 ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    The P/cw380 are excellent little carry pieces you should have no issues with yours. A lot of the little pocker .380's are ammo picky and many do not like anything with a stubby flat nose bullet like WWB.

Regarding the FTX I would highly recommend not carrying that ammunition. The FTX bullet is a horrid performer and for the life of me I cannot figure out why Hornday has not discontinued since the XTP is an excellent performer in all calibers.

Precision one makes an excellent performing .380 round using the XTP bullet that actually out performs Hornday's offerings with the same XTP. The nice thing about Precision one is they charge about the same amount as the other premium manufactures do but give you 50 round boxes as opposed to 20 or 25.

Thanks. Couldn't find the XTP but I'll check Precision out. As long as the tip has some taper, it should cycle fine.

(Chester County)

I have a CW-9 and polishing the feed ramp really helped with feeding HP's.
    "Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." — Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post

https://youtu.be/-H9M6cZGd18

A few issues there.

1. He isn't using organic balastic gel which makes a huge difference.
    2. It looks like he is using denim that he cut from old pants no where near as thick and heavy as balastic denim.
    3. Even with all of that he still did didn't get a minimum penetration of 12".

I wouldn't go as far as to say it's completely ineffective as a round but there is far better on today's market.