Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: cases

(Allegheny County)

Question cases

the grand kids started picking up all kinds of brass along with my 9mm cases. As I sorted them out there a lot of silver colored cases, and a magnet won't pick them up, so I assume there aluminum? Also I don't think people reload them, or am I wrong. Thanks

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: cases

I think the shiny ones are nickel-coated cases used by some self-defense ammo. I believe they can be reloaded.

Aluminum ones are a duller silver color.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by rodspade View Post
    I think the shiny ones are nickel-coated cases used by some self-defense ammo. I believe they can be reloaded.

Aluminum ones are a duller silver color.
    +1 on this. My SD ammo is Remington Golden Saber (.45 ACP), comes in nickel-plated brass cases to prevent corrosion when carried for extended periods. I have reloaded a few dozen of my own with no difference noted between the plated and plain brass cases.

My 2¢
    YMMV
    IANAL
    etc.

(Allegheny County)

what made me think aluminum is that they seem a lot lighter (weight) than brass.

(Allegheny County)

Probably CCI Blazer aluminum cases. The earlier ones were Berdan primed and not easily reloadable...now, they are boxer primed and reloadable, although I don't know how many reloadings you would get before they split. I loaded a few as an experiment and they shot just fine. I have enough brass to last my lifetime so I don't need or want to bother with them any further.....
    There are three kinds of people in this world....them what's good at math and them what ain't.

(Chester County)

Glossy finish is nickel coated brass. Matte finish is aluminum. Reloading aluminum is highly Ill-advised. I've seen too many (Internet) examples of aluminum reloads going boom. You can always check by scratching at one of the cases with a nail. If there's brass underneath, you're good to go.
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bib View Post
    Probably CCI Blazer aluminum cases. The earlier ones were Berdan primed and not easily reloadable...now, they are boxer primed and reloadable, although I don't know how many reloadings you would get before they split. I loaded a few as an experiment and they shot just fine. I have enough brass to last my lifetime so I don't need or want to bother with them any further.....
    That must be a good feeling!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member