Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default The American double action H&R

I have this 32 S&W CTGE on the top it says "the American Double Action" 1.5 inch octagon barrel Stainless but the trigger and trigger guard are blued. The grips are a white pearl looking plastic. I think it's all original. Serial number 871##. Any information would be nice. Anyone interested in this let me know I have no use for it. Value?
    Thanks

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: The American double action H&R

I need pictures to date the gun and for value.

H&R serial numbers before 1940 mean jack-diddly, so I need to see it.

The white pearl grips aren't original. Original were either a black floral pattern or a "target" logo, depending on model/era. It isn't stainless, it is nickel plated.
    Last edited by knight0334; April 28th, 2015 at 09:18 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Definitely need pictures.

Seems like your wondering about the value and as much as I hate to say it....... In general early small caliber H&R pistols aren't worth much. They made millions of them and sold them for cheap. If it doesn't look NIB I would say $100 tops. With major wear its not worth the transfer fees.

If the pistol has any sentimental value (your grandfathers or you won in a back alley craps game) keep it and enjoy. Take it to the range every now and then and have fun. If not you can probably do better at the next gun buyback in NJ.

(Jefferson County)

We got it resolved in email.

Here is a bit that I wrote just in case others pose a similar question.

The revolver you inquired about is a "American Double Action, Second Model". It was made between 1905 and 1941, no way to narrow it down further.

Since it is a second model, which was made from 1905 or later - it is also a smokeless gun. So, modern ammo is safe in it. It is chambered in .32S&W (the short one).

Value - if the bore and chambers aren't pitted, and it functions properly - $140 to $170. $150 is a pretty safe estimate.

Like I mentioned in the post at PAFOA - the grips should be a black plastic-like type(bakelite?). However, H&R did do some special orders over the years for ivory and mother of pearl.

About semi-auto you also sent - it is a ".32 caliber H&R Self-Loading, Second Model". It was made between 1914 and 1924. If the other side looks like the side pictured, and if it functions properly - $300 to $360. What ever you do, DO NOT LOSE THE MAGAZINE FOR IT! Originals are near impossible to find, and the only company making them today is Triple K. ...and they aren't top of the line.

Of course though, value is partially determined by buyer demand, and even the local economy can affect the price.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Bucks County)

I agree with your estimate. By the pictures it is much nicer than the ones you usually see in a gunshop. I was thinking lower end prices for the ones in typical (beat) condition.

For the OP. I would still say go out, shoot it, and have fun. You will be insulted by the price a dealer will give you (and it will be a fair one for the retail business). They are historical handguns but still not appreciated.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    I agree with your estimate. By the pictures it is much nicer than the ones you usually see in a gunshop. I was thinking lower end prices for the ones in typical (beat) condition.

For the OP. I would still say go out, shoot it, and have fun. You will be insulted by the price a dealer will give you (and it will be a fair one for the retail business). They are historical handguns but still not appreciated.
    That revolver is in wonderful shape. When I first saw it I was like "oh yeah!"

In the right market and to the right buyer, he may be able to get a bit more out of it. I know I'd fork over $175 for it, possibly more. But hey, I'm an H&R guy.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone!

(Allegheny County)

In western PA you would see $275 for the auto. I've been looking for one and finally found one in a local store with HORRIBLE service and INCOMPETENT employees who managed to screw up my bank account for 4 days. if you ever decide to sell it i would love a shot
    MORDENTE MEUM

(Berks County)

The auto is nice. They are hard to find in that condition.