Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Best .22 scope under $200

[SIZE="1"]Anybody have any experience with this thing? I'm gonna put it on a savage 64 fv-sr ( threaded bull barrel semi auto .22) I don't think I need the 12x but it would be nice to have. I'm trying to keep the scope under 50 bucks, I only spent 200 on the gun. Also I plan on suppressing it, will I need higher scope rings? The rail on the top looks pretty high.

Rifle: http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/64FVSR

^^ that is my original post, I've decided to not go with the Simmons 8 point,
    after thinking about what I wanted to do with this gun I'm going with something a little nicer.

Looking to spend 200 or less,
    So far I'm considering
    - leupold VX-1 2-7x28 ~$200
    - Nikon P rimfire 2-7x32 ~$170
    -Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40 ~$200
    -Nikon prostaff 3-9x40 ~$150

The last two aren't .22 specific, I'm leaning towards the Leupold, tanners has them on sale for 169 I believe. I might have to take a trip over if they still have them.

Any thoughts or opinions?
    Last edited by 300zx_tt; April 29th, 2015 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Going a different route

Default Re: Simmons 8pt any good?

Sure the 8PT will function, but to ask if it's any good at such a low price point is silly. There is a reason why you see optics from $30 to $3,000.

I find it amusing that you are talking about suppressing the rifle, but you want to buy the cheapest optic.

Optics should be the most expensive item you purchase on any long gun.

Quote Originally Posted by 300zx_tt View Post
    Anybody have any experience with this thing? I'm gonna put it on a savage 64 fv-sr ( threaded bull barrel semi auto .22) I don't think I need the 12x but it would be nice to have. I'm trying to keep the scope under 50 bucks, I only spent 200 on the gun. Also I plan on suppressing it, will I need higher scope rings? The rail on the top looks pretty high.

Rifle: http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/64FVSR

Scope: http://www.opticsplanet.com/simmons-...objective.html
    dangerous question to ask on a gun board and i can assume most will say it sucks. i would agree that compared to other scopes it sucks.

however, for your purposes i would have no hesitation. i am sure it can stand up to (and hold zero) the kick of the dreaded .22 and will be plenty accurate for a semi auto 22lr at the distances the cartridge will support.

as to the ring height i would be careful going too high and would choose based on cheek weld and comfort first and foremost.
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    Sure the 8PT will function, but to ask if it's any good at such a low price point is silly. There is a reason why you see optics from $30 to $3,000.

I find it amusing that you are talking about suppressing the rifle, but you want to buy the cheapest optic.

Optics should be the most expensive item you purchase on any long gun.
    What's amusing about doing a budget suppressed .22? I didn't ask "what's the best scope for a .22" or "how much should I spend on a scope?" I asked if this specific budget scope is any good. I don't need to impress anybody, I don't need to stretch this .22 to 600+ yards and I think if I put 500 dollar glass on a sub 200 dollar gun I'd look like an asshole.

What's silly about asking a question about a cheap scope? Isn't this forum here for questions and general info?

Default Re: Best .22 scope under $200

The Simmons Whitetail that Midway USA isn't a bad optic choice for 22LR 6.5x20 for $100.

I'm a fan of Vortex, but the diamondback line is pretty cheap, even though it does come with their lifetime warranty.

(Berks County)

A great deal of 22 suppressors will be about 1" tube, so you won't need to worry about running high rings or anything like that to clear the suppressor. I always try to keep my scope as low as possible, with the objective lens being the limit.

For the scope, I had a Mueller APV 4.5-14x40 that was pretty decent for around $120 that worked well for 22 rifles. I'm of the opinion that you don't really need to sink a ton of money in a 22lr scope because it's low recoil & you're generally not going to be shooting out very far. Finding something with a decent eye relief so you can shoulder it & get on target relatively quickly would be more important to me than having the best glass, illuminated reticle, mil dots, target turrets, high magnification etc.

(Lehigh County)

Try the Cabela's Calibre Specific Rimfire 3-9x40 scope. They list for $150 but, go on sale often for $99. This scope is very good quality.

Quote Originally Posted by 300zx_tt View Post
    What's amusing about doing a budget suppressed .22? I didn't ask "what's the best scope for a .22" or "how much should I spend on a scope?" I asked if this specific budget scope is any good. I don't need to impress anybody, I don't need to stretch this .22 to 600+ yards and I think if I put 500 dollar glass on a sub 200 dollar gun I'd look like an asshole.

What's silly about asking a question about a cheap scope? Isn't this forum here for questions and general info?
    Nothings silly about it. There are just some people out there that want to tear you down because your not doing it the way they think you should be. Unless you can give me clear and concise critizism with data to back it up then all your talk in non sense.

(Bucks County)

I put a Simmons scope and BKL rings on my Model 80 Marlin and I don't think I could've done much better for the money.

Scope (on sale too)
    http://www.opticsplanet.com/simmons-...s-w-rings.html

Rings
    http://www.bkltech.com/Scope-Rings-and-Mounts-s/2.htm

Edit: the scope is actually cheaper at Amazon
    Last edited by kcb38; May 4th, 2015 at 12:23 PM.

(Lawrence County)

These are hard to beat for a .22.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_...e_p/pa416x.htm

Lycanbought1thrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast