Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: ATI Omni

(Cumberland County)

Default ATI Omni

Anyone own one or have experience with them. Curious as to how cheap they really are, and if they are worth it for a casual shooter. They are advertised obviously as lightweight, stronger than standard lower, blah, blah, blah - but have always wondered. When polymer pistols came out I'm sure many were saying "crap" - is this the same deal? $475 for a complete AR pistol is tempting !

"Tastefully Pimptastic"

Default Re: ATI Omni

I dont have an ati (im waiting on the clear one )https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyJhMXw7nPs

but I do have an Extar pistol http://www.extarguns.com/ and a new frontier lower (new frontier has great customer service) if the ati is not the reinforced model Id skip it, and if you do get one make sure atleast the rear takedown pin is metal

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    I dont have an ati (im waiting on the clear one )https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyJhMXw7nPs

but I do have an Extar pistol http://www.extarguns.com/ and a new frontier lower (new frontier has great customer service) if the ati is not the reinforced model Id skip it, and if you do get one make sure atleast the rear takedown pin is metal
    Thanks, here's what this model says :

The Omni Hybrid AR-15 Pistol from ATI features the Omni Hybrid polymer lower receiver made of a fiberglass-composite polymer over a zinc metal insert which is lighter than most aluminum lowers, yet has the strength or more of a steel body lower. Designed to give extra strength in the high pressure sections, the Omni Hybrid surpasses military pressure and weight-bearing testing.
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

omni=all plastic, omni hybrid=metal reinforced and the better option. I had a failure of a plastic lower because the rear plastic takedown pin broke putting all the stress on the front pin alone resulting in the "ears" ripped off the mag well. thats why I said check/replace the pins. My extar is all plastic and havent had a problem with it, I went with it because It is easier to shoot 1 handed or like a normal pistol and its shorter length, the downfall is you cant swap uppers. if you want a traditional style ar pistol Id say go for it but be aware plastic ars dont have much resale value

(Lancaster County)

For $475, I think you can do better than a polymer ar pistol. PSA runs specials on their forged pistol lowers. You can build your own upper for around 300 using similar parts to the one the ATI Omni has. I did have an ATI rifle lower once and it was fine. I think there would be added stress being a pistol and it concerns me. You can do a quick google search and see pictures from several examples of the polymer pistols failing. Another member mentioned the EXTAR. I bought one from JOEBOBOUTFITTERS.COM and I absolutely loved it. It was very lightweight and not "AR" like at all. At the same time I had a PLR16 and they were my two favorite guns. They litterally shot fire. I had the cops called because my "neighbor" a 1/2 mile away thought I was shooting something illegal, and in their backyard.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by wbhess192 View Post
    For $475, I think you can do better than a polymer ar pistol. PSA runs specials on their forged pistol lowers. You can build your own upper for around 300 using similar parts to the one the ATI Omni has. I did have an ATI rifle lower once and it was fine. I think there would be added stress being a pistol and it concerns me. You can do a quick google search and see pictures from several examples of the polymer pistols failing. Another member mentioned the EXTAR. I bought one from JOEBOBOUTFITTERS.COM and I absolutely loved it. It was very lightweight and not "AR" like at all. At the same time I had a PLR16 and they were my two favorite guns. They litterally shot fire. I had the cops called because my "neighbor" a 1/2 mile away thought I was shooting something illegal, and in their backyard.
    Thanks. I have built a few AR rifles and pistols, and have used Palmetto often I was going back and forth on these - but you're probably right, I can just buy pcs. as they have hot deals and get pretty close to the $475 price.
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"