Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default M&P With and without Thumb Safety differences ?

This is not a philisohocal question on Thumb Safety for a carry gun. My question is, Is there any mechanical or functional difference between an M&P9 with a safety or without other than the obvious safety itself. Does the model with a safety give up anything in the trigger quality, or does the thumb safety limit my ability to upgrade the trigger at a later date?

I see that removing the safety is pretty easy. I am getting an M&P9 mostly for range use and steel matches and my thinking is if I get a one with a safety I can always take it off and have the option of putting it back on later if I want. Not so the other way around.

I don't want to do that though if I am going to give up functionality, or the ability to upgrade parts later.

Thoughts?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: M&P With and without Thumb Safety differences ?

I do not believe that there are any differences between an M&P with or without a manual safety other than:

A cosmetic blemish if an existing safety is removed.
    You will be unable to add a safety after purchase if the M&P didn't originally come with one.

If you like 1911s, a safety coupled with an APEX kit: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KIXJEWY/...=IUQ1X7OWEC2WI will closely mimic a 1911's manual of arms, but with greater capacity and much easier take down. If you were to opt for the 4.5 lb trigger, a safety COULD be useful.

As you stated, options are a good thing.
    Safety status shouldn't matter, but the best advice; call/message APEX Tactical and ask them. I've heard good things about their products and customer service.
    I keep waiting for ^that package to go on sale for my M&P...