Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default How would you handle this?

I purchased a new Kahr P45 from a local gun store less than three weeks ago. While at the range of a different gun store where I have purchased all of my other guns, the trigger on the Kahr began to fail to reset. I would have to play with the trigger to get it going again, sometimes for 2-3 minutes. One of the the guys there use to train military so I asked him to check it out and he found the same problem. He said, "don't worry, just leave it here and we'll send it back to Kahr for you." When I explained that I had bought it elsewhere and mentioned the name, he told me that if they wouldn't take care of it to bring it back and he would. I said that I was sure I wouldn't have any problem.

Well I was wrong. I was told to be ready to spend between $45-$65 dollars for the shipping fee. He said that he only made around $60 on the sale and couldn't afford to lose it. I remained calm, thanked him and told him I'd get back to him. I then took the gun and left. This is the first time I've ever had any problems with a brand new gun but is this normal procedure? Right now, my thought is that I'll never go back there again. What do you say?

(York County)

Default Re: How would you handle this?

I would be pissed. If the gun is new, then KAHR should be able to fix under warranty, and the shop should pick up the shipping, I don't care how much/little they made on the sale. Thats crap, man.

Dave
    3%

(Luzerne County)

I would contact kahr itself. see what they will do.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brown-Bear View Post
    I would be pissed. If the gun is new, then KAHR should be able to fix under warranty, and the shop should pick up the shipping, I don't care how much/little they made on the sale. Thats crap, man.

Dave
    I would have to agree. That's bad business practice.

Proud member of:

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brown-Bear View Post

Dave
    +1. You didn't buy it from Kahr, you bought from a dealer who should stand behind the products he sells. Unfortunately, there seems to be a trend that's been happening in the retail industry that's further eroding the concept of customer service. I noticed a lot of things I've been buying lately have a big note on the packaging stating something to the effect that if the product fails while under warranty, return it to <this address>, not the place of purchase.
    Last edited by str8shooter; July 18th, 2008 at 06:35 PM. Reason: sp.
    You are a straight white man. You don't get to be the victim, sweetie.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
    +1. You didn't buy if from Kahr, you bought from a dealer who should stand behind the products he sells. Unfortunately, there seems to be a trend that's been happening in the retail industry that's further eroding the concept of customer service. I noticed a lot of things I've been buying lately have a big note on the packaging stating something to the effect that if the product fails while under warranty, return it to <this address>, not the place of purchase.
    I don't know how gunshops are setup as far as when they purchase, but having worked in retail the problem with customer service/returns isn't all the stores fault. Dear old Uncle Sams buddy the IRS has tax rules that require every single store, warehouse, etc in a company to be legally a single business entity separate from the rest.

The result is the the store has to 'buy' its product from the company's local distribution warehouse, who had to 'buy' it from the company's regional distribution warehouse, who had to 'buy' it from the company's main distribution warehouse, who had to 'buy' it from the corporate office's distributor, who had to 'buy' it from an outside private distributor, who bought it from the manufcturer.

If you took something to the store looking to get it fixed, it has to be sent back up that chain, then come back down it. You'd be waiting 6 months to get the item back at least, and in the end its the manufacturers reputation that suffers because of the slow service even though they don't have any control over the time it takes to get the product to them and then back to you.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks MJFletcher and I understand all of that but that should not be my concern. I purchased this weapon in good faith from my local gunstore and 'HE' has agreed to represent his suppliers as their agent. I've purchase 4 pistols in the last four months, this being the only one bought from him because I didn't know he existed so close to my home. I sure you realize that I will NEVER purchase anything there again, including the 3" 1911 I want or the Mossberg 500 I'm about to order (which he has in stock). This is just piss poor business IMHO.

(Monroe County)

personally I'd be a bit upset. Call Kahr and raise hell, see what they will do, they may either refund S&H or at least pay to send it back to you. There is no reason you should have to pay to ship on a brand new gun
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Allegheny County)

In short, I'd be pissed and vindictive. There's a section of this forum "Where to (or not to) spend money". I believe this shop should be listed there as a "or not to".

Not good business relations I would say. Small businesses need to realize that people talk and one happy customer brings in more customers BUT one unhappy customer usually causes a lot more potential customers to not come in than the happy ones do. (if that makes any freaking sense at all)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast