Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Please educate me on the IMEZ Makarov

I'm thinking about an IMEZ Makarov pistol, specifically in .380 auto. I have a Walther PPK/S in .380 so I'd like to keep things consistent.

Are these IMEZ .380 variants genuine Makarov PM? I'm looking for the legendary durability, stone-cold reliability, throw it in the mud and it'll keep shooting even after my great grand kids are around Makarov. Is the IMEZ 380 essentially the same Makarov PM that I'm thinking of?

Any differences?

Thanks.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Please educate me on the IMEZ Makarov

NO these are post PM commercial models. They added an adjustable rear sight and thumb rest. Still good buys. Some reliability. Uses 9x18 magazines so you can find them anywhere. You may not be able to convert it to 9x18. Some of the 380s had smaller machined ejectors.

Quote Originally Posted by PA-Joe View Post
    NO these are post PM commercial models. They added an adjustable rear sight and thumb rest. Still good buys. Some reliability. Uses 9x18 magazines so you can find them anywhere. You may not be able to convert it to 9x18. Some of the 380s had smaller machined ejectors.
    Yes I noticed the large adjustable rear sights.

As far as Maks go, are these as durable as the mil-surplus stuff?

(Montgomery County)

Not in my opinion. The best Mil Surp PM if you can find one are the Russian originals very closely followed by the East german PM; both in 9 x 18. The Isveshk (spelling!) was the commercial Mak in 9 x 18 and 9 x 17, and had to have the target sights to meet import requirements. My EG Mak is extremely rugged and accurate, but then I was lucky enough to pick it up close to 20 years ago on a C&R. Dave_n

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_n View Post
    Not in my opinion. The best Mil Surp PM if you can find one are the Russian originals very closely followed by the East german PM; both in 9 x 18. The Isveshk (spelling!) was the commercial Mak in 9 x 18 and 9 x 17, and had to have the target sights to meet import requirements. My EG Mak is extremely rugged and accurate, but then I was lucky enough to pick it up close to 20 years ago on a C&R. Dave_n
    Thanks for the info!

(Chester County)

IMEZ was only one of the importers I believe. There was a "Baikal" branding also. I have a B-West (now defunct) import Russian Commercial Mak in factory satin nickel, and .380 ACP. I believe B-West was the sole importer of these back in the early 90's. It is a very accurate pistol, with a good trigger, and has never malfunctioned. It cam with a set of Pearce grips as well as the standard issue black, bakelite Russian grips without a thumbrest. It shoots as well as my Bulgarians, and East German, although I do prefer the Bulgies, and EG as they are military surplus pistols without the adjustable rear sight.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_n View Post
    Where does the Polish Makarov fall? I have a Polish P64 Makarov that was manufactured in 1971 at the Radom arsenal. It has a very nice blued finish.

(Elk County)

A couple clarifications:

The original "PM" or Pistolet Makarova was manufactured by Izhevskii Mechanicheskii Zavod or Izhevsk Mechanical Factory located in the city of Izhevsk. The "Izhevsk" logo appears on the left side of the frame of Soviet military "PM" pistols.

IMEZ stands for Izhevskii Mechanicheskii Zavod, the same manufacturing concern as that above, and that which manufactured Soviet military Mararov pistols. The "IMEZ" Makarov pistols are identical in all respects to the Soviet military Makarov, EXCEPT for the rear sight, which is fixed on the Soviet military Makarov, and adjustable on the export-market-intended "IMEZ" pistols which were imported here mainly in the 1990s. The large-headed elevation screw on the IMEZ and Baikal-branded Makarov pistols (both made at Izhevsk) has a small diameter shank and is somewhat fragile if torque is applied to it.

All internal parts in IMEZ and Baikal Makarov pistols are the same as those in Soviet PM Makarov-designed pistols, and also those Makarov-designed pistols made in East Germany, Bulgaria, and China (as the Type 59).

IMEZ and Baikal Makarov pistols were made in 9x18 Makarov and 380 ACP. The magazines are the same, 8 rds, for 9x18 and 380, and the pistols will also accept 8 rd Makarov magazines from EG, Bulgarian, and Chinese Makarovs.

Note that a "high cap" version of the Makarov was made for commercial export, and it had a "wide body" grip accepting either a 10 rd or 12 rd double-stack magazine (12 rds before 1994, 10 rds after 1994). These hi-cap mags will NOT fit a standard 8 rd Makarov pistol. Standard Makarov grips will not fit a "widebody hi-cap" Makarov.

The Polish and Hungarian pistols which chamber the 9x18 Makarov round are NOT Makarov-designed psitols, and NO parts in the Polish and Hungarian pistols are interchangeable with parts from an 8 rd or 12 rd Makarov of Soviet/Russian, East German, Bulgarian, or Chinese manufacture. The Polish and Hungarian pistols are known for heavy trigger pulls which can affect accuracy. IMO, a true Makarov-designed pistol of Soviet, Russian Commercial, Bulgarian military or commercial (marked "Arsenal Bulgaria"), East German, or Chinese manufacture is far superior to Polish and Hungarian pistols chambering the 9x18 Makarov cartridge. Again, the Polish and Hungarian pistols are NOT Makarovs by design. It would be analogous to calling a Glock or SIG chambered in 45 ACP a Colt because they fire the same round as the 1911.

The Soviet/Russian, East German, Bulgarian, and Chinese manufacture Makarov design pistols are known for exceptional reliability (including IMEZ / Baikal / KBI / B-West versions) and a high degree of accuracy in the hands of an experienced shooter. Limp-wristing or "milking" the trigger of a Makarov-designed pistol can result in "doubling" of rounds. A firm grip and good trigger follow-through will eliminate doubling.

I own 13 pistols of Makarov design (Soviet, EG, Bulgarian, Chinese and one each Russian and Bulgarian commerical models), and have about 18K rds of 9x18 ammo. One of my regular carry guns is a Bulgarian Makarov wearing a spare EG Makarov grip, and I can hit One Ragged Hole accuracy at 15 yds with it. In 1000s of rounds fired, all dreaded "steel case" ammo, I cannot recall ANY failure except for limp-wristed doubling mentioned above.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    A couple clarifications:

The original "PM" or Pistolet Makarova was manufactured by Izhevskii Mechanicheskii Zavod or Izhevsk Mechanical Factory located in the city of Izhevsk. The "Izhevsk" logo appears on the left side of the frame of Soviet military "PM" pistols.

IMEZ stands for Izhevskii Mechanicheskii Zavod, the same manufacturing concern as that above, and that which manufactured Soviet military Mararov pistols. The "IMEZ" Makarov pistols are identical in all respects to the Soviet military Makarov, EXCEPT for the rear sight, which is fixed on the Soviet military Makarov, and adjustable on the export-market-intended "IMEZ" pistols which were imported here mainly in the 1990s. The large-headed elevation screw on the IMEZ and Baikal-branded Makarov pistols (both made at Izhevsk) has a small diameter shank and is somewhat fragile if torque is applied to it.

All internal parts in IMEZ and Baikal Makarov pistols are the same as those in Soviet PM Makarov-designed pistols, and also those Makarov-designed pistols made in East Germany, Bulgaria, and China (as the Type 59).

IMEZ and Baikal Makarov pistols were made in 9x18 Makarov and 380 ACP. The magazines are the same, 8 rds, for 9x18 and 380, and the pistols will also accept 8 rd Makarov magazines from EG, Bulgarian, and Chinese Makarovs.

Note that a "high cap" version of the Makarov was made for commercial export, and it had a "wide body" grip accepting either a 10 rd or 12 rd double-stack magazine (12 rds before 1994, 10 rds after 1994). These hi-cap mags will NOT fit a standard 8 rd Makarov pistol. Standard Makarov grips will not fit a "widebody hi-cap" Makarov.

The Polish and Hungarian pistols which chamber the 9x18 Makarov round are NOT Makarov-designed psitols, and NO parts in the Polish and Hungarian pistols are interchangeable with parts from an 8 rd or 12 rd Makarov of Soviet/Russian, East German, Bulgarian, or Chinese manufacture. The Polish and Hungarian pistols are known for heavy trigger pulls which can affect accuracy. IMO, a true Makarov-designed pistol of Soviet, Russian Commercial, Bulgarian military or commercial (marked "Arsenal Bulgaria"), East German, or Chinese manufacture is far superior to Polish and Hungarian pistols chambering the 9x18 Makarov cartridge. Again, the Polish and Hungarian pistols are NOT Makarovs by design. It would be analogous to calling a Glock or SIG chambered in 45 ACP a Colt because they fire the same round as the 1911.

The Soviet/Russian, East German, Bulgarian, and Chinese manufacture Makarov design pistols are known for exceptional reliability (including IMEZ / Baikal / KBI / B-West versions) and a high degree of accuracy in the hands of an experienced shooter. Limp-wristing or "milking" the trigger of a Makarov-designed pistol can result in "doubling" of rounds. A firm grip and good trigger follow-through will eliminate doubling.

I own 13 pistols of Makarov design (Soviet, EG, Bulgarian, Chinese and one each Russian and Bulgarian commerical models), and have about 18K rds of 9x18 ammo. One of my regular carry guns is a Bulgarian Makarov wearing a spare EG Makarov grip, and I can hit One Ragged Hole accuracy at 15 yds with it. In 1000s of rounds fired, all dreaded "steel case" ammo, I cannot recall ANY failure except for limp-wristed doubling mentioned above.

Noah
    Thanks for this incredibly informative post. It says something when knowledgeable gun enthusiasts sometimes choose the Makarov as a carry pistol even today.

A1776, sent you a PM with an offer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast