Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Lightbulb Philadelphia Sheriff's Race & Meet 'n Greet Tonight

All:

I'm sure nobody here cares about the elections in Philadelphia, but the Sheriff's Office is up this year and I am the candidate running against Sheriff Jewell Williams, the incumbent.

I answered FOAC's questionnaire if you want to see my stances:
    http://www.pa2a.org/thread-sawyer-fo...nnaire-answers

Other than adding mando-minimums for severe repeat VUFA offenders where the VUFA is on the same chargelist as a serious felony, and no law-abiding gun owner in this Commonwealth routinely racks up multiple VUFAs with felonies in this Commonwealth--I probably align with your views.

Since most of this board lives outside of Phila and cannot vote in Nov 3 general election in Phila county, one thing you can do is support my campaign:

http://phlsheriff.com/

While only City Council has the power to fix the Gun Permit Unit so that it turns permit applications around in a timely manner, City Council will not ever do it because the Sheriff's Office has been a patronage potty and has been woefully corrupt for decades. As Sheriff, I can correct those errors by making the Office transparent, firing unproductive staff (row officers have the ability to do this), cleaning up the budget and cutting off the unnecessary advertising the Sheriff's Office does which supports Democratic pol operatives.

With those changes, I have a means to lobby Harrisburg for legislation to return LTCF permitting control to the Sheriff's Office and also to block Philadelphia from passing a charter change to eliminate the office, so that I would have control over permitting.

Logistically, this means moving the PPD employees who actually do the office work and deputizing them, while they can remain in FOP5. Gun permit appeals would also move over to a committee that is far more transparent (you get to know WHO is actually making these decisions and WHY).

I cannot guarantee that this will change the approve/denial ratio, because this data is not public so I have no idea what it looks like, or whether the denials are based off facts or off "a hunch." That's why transparency is key.

Failing that--Harrisburg could also re-introduce the bill from the member from Cumberland County which would allow any PA resident to travel to a Sheriff's Office in a neighboring county to apply for a permit to avoid the GPU and its inexplicable 45-business day turnaround time, when it sees less than 20 applications a day.

While gun permits are not my primary reason why I'm running for this office (this is why: http://phlsheriff.com/reform/), I am a LTCF carrier, I believe in 2A and open carry is the law in Pennsylvania and if the Sheriff's Office were not such a craphole that it has been, legislators would be receptive to moving the GPU function over to it. It stays in the Philadelphia Police Department because they are under control of the Mayor and City Council.

The Sheriff's Office sits at the same level of authority as the Mayor and City Council as it's an officer of the court system, which is why it's called a "row office" here. If it were trustworthy, then a case can be made to reform permits.

I need your support. I can do Paypal donations (click Donate on phlsheriff.com), but if you prefer check or money order to the campaign please make the check out to:

Philadelphians Are Awesome - PAC
    2424 E York Street, #316
    Philadelphia, PA 19125

Campaign finance law requires that if you are donating > $200, you need to write who your employer is and your profession. You can drop a business card or write it in the Memo field of the check.

I will be at the Grey Lodge Pub in Mayfair (Harbison & Frankford Avenue) this evening from 7:30PM-late tonight for a Meet-n-Greet if you'd like to meet me in person. I will also be there with the Republican candidate for Mayor.
    Last edited by ArcticSplash; April 24th, 2015 at 09:45 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Philadelphia Sheriff's Race & Meet 'n Greet Tonight

(Montgomery County)

I ws looking through your site and have a question. Why would you •All deputy employees who guard the courts or handle prisoners must be members of the Fraternal Order of Police, Lodge #5?

Just curious

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by rob m View Post
    I ws looking through your site and have a question. Why would you •All deputy employees who guard the courts or handle prisoners must be members of the Fraternal Order of Police, Lodge #5?

Just curious
    There's currently two NLRB disputes open between FOP5 and the FJD and the Sheriff's Office over transferring warrant officers over from the courts who were under the courts payroll directly into the Sheriff's Office. Because this deal to move those men has been made with a spit-and-a-handshake, the President of FOP5 intervened:

http://articles.philly.com/2014-12-1...sheriff-duties

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by rob m View Post

Just curious
    My opinion on the matter is that if your job is to break into homes with a court warrant to collect a defendant, that officer needs to be fully trained (including 4A), needs their 235 (which the office budget has to pay for renewals), and those deputies should be in FOP5 as they are carrying out the closest thing to law enforcement duties as one can get.

If they had kept these men under the First Judicial District, I wouldn't have to deal with this--but apparently administration at the courts has gone downhill and they want to move these fellas off the payroll at the same time my opponent wants a public image that makes him look as sexy as the PPD Chief of Police, rather than just a guy who forecloses shells and busses prisoners back and forth between CFCF and the courts.

I would really like to eliminate the prisoner transport function of the Sheriff because that's really a BOP problem, but I'd imagine since the Sheriff takes their orders from CP and MC judges all day long, then the responsibility to get prisoners into the courtroom lies with the Sheriff. I think that's silly... if the DA's office is having a problem with no-shows, they can go through the Mayor who has direct control over BOP (Philadelphia Bureau of Prisons).

(Tioga County)

You'll get my vote.
    MikeP

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by priell3 View Post
    You'll get my vote.
    Thanks bud! Every vote counts!

I'm gonna see if any of the area ranges will allow me to drop flyers up on their bulletin boards this weekend. Bet my opponent will get a kick outta that.