Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Additional LTCF Form in West Norriton Twp.

Greetings! I got a call from my father-in-law last night who wanted to get a carry permit. He is a resident of West Norriton Twp., Montgomery County. The Montco sheriffs office gave him an additional form which must be filled out by the local PD. My first thought was... how is this even legal?

Mind you, as a long-time resident of Lancaster County I have NO IDEA how much work it takes elsewhere in the state to get an LTCF, but having to fill out a form with such info as "physician's name" and make/serial number info of three firearms owned (hilarious... why just three after all? No way whatsoever to verify any of this) in addition to paying an ADDITIONAL $25 to local PD seems excessively burdensome, especially considering PA does not have a "registry" to verify any of this. There is no legal reasoning to give the local PD any authority in this area outside of the normal "good character" clause which the sheriff has. We're all away of how Philly operates with the GPU, but last I checked the sheriff is not PD in PA. After all, the ATF sure makes this distinction clear every time I think about the NFA paperwork process.

Can one of our resident attorneys weigh in on this? I have attached the extra forms as images.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Mercer County)

Default Re: Additional LTCF Form in West Norriton Twp.

It's horse shit. They need sued. Have him contact Joshua Prince, and see what he has to say.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Bucks County)

Last I heard, Montco will accept the application without the local police check form, but they say that they will take longer to process it. They have 45 days they can take by state law.

If it were me, I'd turn in the application without the police check.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by t1066 View Post
    Last I heard, Montco will accept the application without the local police check form, but they say that they will take longer to process it. They have 45 days they can take by state law.

If it were me, I'd turn in the application without the police check.
    +1 on turning it in without the police check. By the time you get the police check done and Montco processes the application it will be close to or over 45 days any way.

(Lancaster County)

Thanks for all the feedback, guys! I've passed all of this on.

I recommend that he turn it in without the local PD check. If they won't accept it then I recommended the services of an attorney. This whole thing is a racket and seems like a revenue stream for PD and 100% unnecessary as per state law. If the price is set uniformly by the Commonwealth, how can it cost $25 more depending on which municipality you live?

(Montgomery County)

They won't reject the application, but they may aggressively suggest getting the local sign off done to speed up the process. Fwiw, my local police signed the form free of charge in 24 hours.

(Montgomery County)

MY LTCF is issued in Montco. I had to get the Lower Merion Twp. police to complete the form you mention. They did it in less than a week and emailed it the Sheriff's office. I think the gambit assumes that if you have been in trouble it is likely to have been in your neighborhood and the local LEOs will have an incident report of it. I had to pay LM Twp $25 to have them email a report that the LEOs had not reason to be concerned. Nonsense indeed, but a legal fight could take a year. I chose the one week/$25 option. Got my LTCF without a problem.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by STBear View Post
    +1 on turning it in without the police check. By the time you get the police check done and Montco processes the application it will be close to or over 45 days any way.
    No, Montco Sheriff will not issue without the local PD check. I know that because people in the line before me to get licenses that did not have the local PD check on file were turned away.

(Philadelphia County)

Is it going to hurt you to just get it done? For the low prices of obtaining a license in PA, you should be happy. Try Florida with the required course and $117 fee.

It would seem like they want a local check done to speed up the process of their terminal operator running firearms background checks. It may just be another step, but it will get it done faster.

Folks, realize that you must pick your battles. Stop smashing you head against the wall and do what you must. After that, get folks together for a class action lawsuit.
    Those who dare.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pointman73 View Post
    Is it going to hurt you to just get it done? For the low prices of obtaining a license in PA, you should be happy. Try Florida with the required course and $117 fee.

It would seem like they want a local check done to speed up the process of their terminal operator running firearms background checks. It may just be another step, but it will get it done faster.

Folks, realize that you must pick your battles. Stop smashing you head against the wall and do what you must. After that, get folks together for a class action lawsuit.
    Fuck that, it's attitudes like this that enable them to walk all over us.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast