Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Snyder County)

Default Anyone know anything about Jasper engines?

I am going to buy a used engine for my truck. A guy locally has a Jasper engine that supposed to only have 10k miles on it. But I don't know much about Jasper engines.

I know that the rebuilds that are done in Mexico are junk. But I thought Jasper was in the US. So are they any good?

Anyone know?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Anyone know anything about Jasper engines?

i don't have any experience with them personally, but jasper does have a good reputation as far as "mass produced" rebuilt engines go.

(while some others who will remain nameless have a reputation doing stuff like "milling" the head with a belt sander. )

jasper engines generally come with a warranty of some kind, but i'm not sure if it is tranferrable to a second owner...you might want to check on that.

also, make sure whoever installs it (assuming you aren't doing it yourself) knows what they are doing. i've heard of issues with bad installs voiding the warranty.

(Snyder County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    i don't have any experience with them personally, but jasper does have a good reputation as far as "mass produced" rebuilt engines go.

(while some others who will remain nameless have a reputation doing stuff like "milling" the head with a belt sander. )

jasper engines generally come with a warranty of some kind, but i'm not sure if it is tranferrable to a second owner...you might want to check on that.

also, make sure whoever installs it (assuming you aren't doing it yourself) knows what they are doing. i've heard of issues with bad installs voiding the warranty.
    Jasper engines, according to their website, are warrantied for 3 years or 100k miles. But it is not transferable. Especially from one vehicle to another. And I am sure this guy doesn't have any paperwork with it.

But according to their website, they replace pistons, valves, springs, bearings, check heads, crank, cam, and so on. Seems like a good thing. But I just wanted to know if anyone had any other information besides what I can find on their website.

Also, I will be doing the install. So I don't have any worries about it being bad.

(Lawrence County)

great company..... bought a jasper reman for my 98 neon ... she ran like a top until i put a 250 shot of nitrous through her! lol

*disclaimer: do not run 250 shots of nitrous through a stock jasper engine. esp. if it's a stock 2.0 dodge neon block with stock compression ratings!

(Elk County)

Dunno about their engines, but I put a Jasper 4T60E tranny in my 92 Bonneville and I got 82,000 more miles out of the car, sold the car, and it's still going strong with over 116,000 on that tranny, and and almost 190,000 on the car per the current owner.

Noah

(Armstrong County)

I've bought the engines and transmissions ............ The engine has 50,000 miles on it and is now out of warranty, no issues.

The tranny made 18 month and had yo be replaced, warranty covered everything. The second is now 2 years old, no problems so far.
    The original point and click interface was a Colt Peacemaker!

(Lebanon County)

this may be shocking to some......

i actually needed to replace a toyota motor....yes i know unheard of.
    the motor only had 350K on it.
    i put a jasper reman in it. it ran like a top for the 10k longer i had it.....wife put the truck into a pole, the motor is currently awaiting it's next ride.

if i recall from my research, teh jasper motors are pretty high up the food chain of national motor/tranny rebuilders.
    only down side you need to cough up your old mill....i wanted to keep mine, but the extra money they wanted for me to do that was stupid crazy insane nutz.

as far as transferable, the motors have a jasper tag rivited on them, the paper work that come with reffers to this number, that's it, no names no vin numbers. as long as your paper matches the number on the motor you're good.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....