Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Should I bother carrying in North Carolina

Going to North Carolina for work soon, possibly up to a week. I'm contemplating if it's even worth it to bring a pistol for carry. I won't be able to carry at the work site, but I should have plenty of downtime to explore the area (Durham). I just don't want to unknowingly get into any trouble.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/northcarolina.pdf

Should I be dodging school zones because of federal law? Is this even enforced by state or local LE?

I know NC is must inform. No alcohol at all (I'll have a single drink in PA and not think much of it), but being in a bar is fine. No carrying at universities (although you can lock in the car at universities on state land - I may want to check out UNC and Duke (is Duke on state land?)). Signs carry the force of law.
    Last edited by jthrelf; April 18th, 2015 at 08:56 PM.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Should I bother carrying in North Carolina

GFSZA isn't really enforced by state LEO's. And in reality it is treated as a secondary offense even though it is a primary offense.

Also, if you read the GFSZA there is this little clause about,

"(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone. "
    The law requires that you either know, or have reason to believe, it is a school zone.

So, do not look up where the schools are. Do not look for them on your computer, don't ask where they are. ...ignorance is legally an excuse for it.

The biggest thing is - don't break any other laws for your gun possession to come into question.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    GFSZA isn't really enforced by state LEO's. And in reality it is treated as a secondary offense even though it is a primary offense.

Also, if you read the GFSZA there is this little clause about,

The law requires that you either know, or have reason to believe, it is a school zone.

So, do not look up where the schools are. Do not look for them on your computer, don't ask where they are. ...ignorance is legally an excuse for it.

The biggest thing is - don't break any other laws for your gun possession to come into question.
    Thanks for the insight, Knight.

I won't be breaking any laws, but traffic offenses would be a potential reason to have contact with LE. Plus I'll be giving up to them what's on my hip from the get go.

(Montgomery County)

It is always worth carrying wherever you can do so legally. Crime happens in North Carolina. As a visiting traveler without much knowledge of the turf you will be on, you could easily end up in the wrong place at the wrong time. There is street crime in NC and often areas near college campuses can be dangerous zones. Why take a chance if you can legally avoid doing so?

I keep a CCW app on my iPhone. It is made by Workman Consulting. They update it regularly, and it really allows you access CCW info for 50 states. I think it is available for Android phones too. If you have ? about NC while there, you can look for the answer using the APP.

(Tioga County)

I would carry in NC if you can. NC is like PA in that most of the state you wouldn't have much to worry about, but has some bad neighborhoods and towns you can have issues with. I don't know Durham well, so I can't help with that.

(Allegheny County)

I'm goign to NC next month, but only for a short trip. Flying in and driving home. I'll be carrying, my biggest worry is the flying in part.

I'll be able to carry all the time as its not work related. But I will not be doing that much exploring.

I go to OH allot and don't worry about GFSZ. I would just make sure you are not somehow on marked school property.

However I'm more worried about the drive back than my destination.

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Signs carry the force of law.
    They do in PA as well this one: http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...tn=3&subsctn=0
    Last edited by QuackXP; April 21st, 2015 at 11:19 AM.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

I lived in the Triangle for about 18 years. Of all the areas to carry, I most definitely would in Durham.

Cary or Apex are both nice, but there have been a lot of changes in the past few years. Meaning, I would carry there too now.

Raleigh, also definitely if you're going inside the Beltline.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAcarrier View Post
    I lived in the Triangle for about 18 years. Of all the areas to carry, I most definitely would in Durham.

Cary or Apex are both nice, but there have been a lot of changes in the past few years. Meaning, I would carry there too now.

Raleigh, also definitely if you're going inside the Beltline.
    I've gotten all my facts straight, and I'll be carrying. No reason to avoid it

Any NC laws to be aware of aside from what I've mentioned in the OP?

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    I've gotten all my facts straight, and I'll be carrying. No reason to avoid it

Any NC laws to be aware of aside from what I've mentioned in the OP?
    Not that I can think of. Looks like you've done your homework.

Good luck!

(Cumberland County)

Another good source of information is the NC gun owners forum which has a sub-forum primarily for NC firearms laws.

NCGO NC Firearms Laws section

NC statutes are discussed on a regular basis at the forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast