Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hokkmike Guest

Default What are the practical ranges of different semi-auto cartridges?

For the distances normally applied to defensive semi-auto pistol shooting is there also a significant caliber restriction or difference with regard to effective range limitation?

In other words, shooting across a 20 foot room for example, is there any notable difference in how you might aim a .380 as opposed to a .40? How far back would you have to be from a target to render the smaller calibers as unsuitable?

I am wondering if the only real difference is that they would both strike their target OK but with varying results?

Wink Re: What are the practical ranges of different semi-auto cartridges?

Thr rules of gun fighting as were taught to me decades ago:
    1. HAVE a gun with you at all times
    2. preferably have 2 guns
    3. Shoot, move, take cover
    4. reload, move if necessary
    5. shoot center of mass, double tap
    6. head shots are for experts and TV and movies
    7. do not shoot to wound, shoot to STOP the attack
    8. have enough spare ammo
    9. there is no second place ribbon in a gun fight
    10 look for more attackers, cover

That said, the std FBI combat distance for practice was taught to me as 21 feet..across the std living room. If you can put 90% of your shots in a chest sized target at 21 feet, you are better than 90% of LEOs. PRACTICE. PRACTICE

I don't shoot .380 or 22 much so cannot comment, but I'm OK w a 9mm or .38 or .357 at 21 feet. My little pocket .32 backup w/o sights is for last ditch backup only..but I can hit most shots center of mass at 15 feet bks I practice alot. I am fortunate to have a backyard pistol range and live in the county area where alot of folks shoot alot. ;-)

Personally I would not trust a 22lr for much but that's just me. They look great in the movies when used a w a suppressor and killing with one shot, but..dang...
    Last edited by Fred762; April 17th, 2015 at 09:53 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: What are the practical ranges of different semi-auto cartridges?

In all the speculation about which caliber is more effective, I like to hear first hand from people who were actually shot and lived to tell about it. Personally, I don’t like to be hit by any of the calibers you mentioned.

(Philadelphia County)

IANAB (I am not a ballistician)

Inside 25 yards neither bullet drop or velocity shed come into play.
    Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

I think barrel length plays more of an accuracy role than caliber in this circumstance, at least when one is targeting around the 25 yard range.
    ...and they have a plan...

(Dauphin County)

If you look at any standard ammunition company ballistic data you will see insignificant change or drop from 0 to 25 yards. 25 yards is a very long distance for a defensive pistol shot. As for effectiveness, any center mass hit with an adequate caliber will usually stop an attack out to that range.

(Susquehanna County)

For 9mm Luger or .40 S&W you can hold center from hard off the muzzle out to 50 yards. I suspect the same is true for 10mm also and probably .357 Mag and Sig.

.38 Spec and .45 ACP require adjustment in elevation as range increases depending on your initial zero distance.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Cumberland County)

I'd say anything within 50 yards it doesn't matter with handguns.

You'll likely never engage targets out to that distance anyways with a handgun.

Barrel length doesn't play too much in accuracy. It is the length from front sight to rear sight and how stable you can hold it that is going to determine the accuracy of the pistol.

This is why guns with longer slides seem more accurate. There isn't much of a difference at 10 yards between a 3 inch barrel and 5 inch barrel though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    For the distances normally applied to defensive semi-auto pistol shooting is there also a significant caliber restriction or difference with regard to effective range limitation?

In other words, shooting across a 20 foot room for example, is there any notable difference in how you might aim a .380 as opposed to a .40? How far back would you have to be from a target to render the smaller calibers as unsuitable?

I am wondering if the only real difference is that they would both strike their target OK but with varying results?
    You are correct in your assumption as stated in your last sentence. At the distances mentioned you should be aiming for center mass to stop the threat so tiny differences in point of impact that may occur depending on the arc of the bullets shouldn't matter. The left ventricle is measured in inches not millimeters.
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Mercer County)

A 124 grain +p Gold Dot that is dead on at 25 yards will be 8 inches low at 100. A 230 grain standard pressure Gold Dot that's dead on at 25 yards will be 15 inches low at 100 yards. Both still carry more than enough energy to kill someone. Most people who have any shooting ability at all underestimate what they can do with a handgun at greater distances. With a little effort, most everyone I've worked with can hit a silhouette target consistently out to 75 yards.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast